project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
22 Dec 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2007, 03:23 PM   #1
Sadist_Cain
Supporting Member

Default Lets Build Bridges

I was looking at basrah today after literally all the bridges had been blown and It got me thinking.
How awesome would it be to be able to deploy, either as a mobile vehicle (like a converted tank) or a commander asset, a mobile bridge

I can't be bothered to comb the internet for the history of wartime bridge building but I think converted tanks have been used since the churchill in WW2 as bridge layers.

I believe there are two types of mobile bridge. One type folds in half fitted to a tank. the bridge can be laid quickly, crossed fast by all including the tank that transported it and then picked up and moved to a new location. the disadvantage of this is it can only be used across small expanses of water. maybe this could be a vehicle?

The second type I think uses floating barges that move across the water. once in place, engineers reinforce the system and it becomes strong enough to bear the wieght of armoured vehicles. Perhaps this one as a commander asset for larger expanses of water?

I don't know what Issues face trying to get anything like this working but looking at whats possible in PR already it seems one might be possible. and it would be awesome to get a whole team/squad working together to exploit a crossing point and such

Your thoughts guys?
Sadist_Cain is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:28 PM   #2
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

ye, we have also thought of this idea the biggest problem with it, in theory is to get the bridge to deploy so you can use it. As of yet we have done no work on it but maybe for a future release

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:31 PM   #3
markonymous

seems like it would involve allot of work. Otherwise like the idea. But then again why not just make it possible to repair the bridge with insurgents.
markonymous is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:56 PM   #4
Sadist_Cain
Supporting Member

No. We're talking here about an established army with a mobile bridge buidling unit such as this... http://www.army-technology.com/contr...gineering/man/

The above link shows a bridge builder that can be converted into a ferry, is this possible? If people can be held inside a hatch in the back of the merlin can an apc drive up a ramp onto a ferry to take it across a river?

I dont suppose its possible to have a PR varient the could work better.
what about an amphibious apc with two ramps that unfold from the roof to reach each side of the river bank with the apc in the middle, then other vehicles can effectively drive over the APC, fold the ramps back into place and drive off the other side.
I know there may not be a bridge builder that works this way, but the model could look like the real deal and the behaviour can be as I described to achieve the effect.

I know there's a Dev somewhere punching the screen for all the coding impossibilities I must be suggesting so I'll stop now :P
Old 12-03-2007, 04:14 PM   #5
Viper5

Problem is vehicles cant move on vehicles. Reason why its not possible to airlift vehicles, have em deploy from a C130, LCAC, etc.
Viper5 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:36 PM   #6
Sadist_Cain
Supporting Member

Ahhh ok I see, so the only option is one that can be deployed by the CO, what's the issue with that? :P
Sorry to be persistent but I cant help but think about the grooviness on the right map being able to sneak your own bridge into play, would make maps more interesting for longer
Old 12-03-2007, 04:49 PM   #7
Ghost1800

well, aside from the technical aspects of having the game match up the right length and angle to make the bridge, chances are if the enemy team has blown up all the bridges and you are incapable of solving this situation... a deployable bridge ain't gonna last much longer anyway...

It would be cool though.

"Every time there is any flying vehicle on a map, most people turn retarded." - SJT

"jesus christ thats not a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
thats an essay with a picture attached lol" - unrealalex
Ghost1800 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:51 PM   #8
LtSoucy
Supporting Member

I like it as a CO objsct but why not allow him to just deloy parts and then he can make more then 1 lane of traffic also. Maybe like sandbox without turning?

Reality Gaming - Making Games Reality

LtSoucy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:57 PM   #9
Ghost1800

would it be possible to make a flat even bridge (... or flat enough for most vehicles)? I just find it hard to believe you could effectively set up your own bridge judging by how the razorwire and other deployable structures behave on even slightly uneven terrain.

"Every time there is any flying vehicle on a map, most people turn retarded." - SJT

"jesus christ thats not a
thats an essay with a picture attached lol" - unrealalex
Ghost1800 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:15 PM   #10
77SiCaRiO77
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-PUB]Viper5 View Post
Problem is vehicles cant move on vehicles. Reason why its not possible to airlift vehicles, have em deploy from a C130, LCAC, etc.
technicaly, the deployed bridge will not be a vehicle , since it will not move , something like a bunker or firebase, so i dont sdee that as a problem .
77SiCaRiO77 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
bridges, build