project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
31 Jul 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2005, 07:46 PM   #21
phyte

I really like the ideas of:

1. Increased effects, making people more fearful of getting hit.
2. Only spawn at squad leader and main base. (You might have to use base objective chaining for this to work effectively.)

I totally agree that #2 would shake up gameplay in a positive way.

However, I don't think that increasing the respawn time a little would negatively effect gameplay. Even another 10 seconds might allow a medic to provide aid. Well I am a little torn, part of me thinks that respawn detracts from the importance of medics in game. Respawn is the most un-realistic aspect of the game by far.. and the other part of me realizes the not fun factor, a balance of both worlds might be worthwhile?

I totally understand the difficulty balancing fun-game / reality, and by no means intended to suggest to make the game less fun

Anyways, lots of awesome ideas to read, thanks for all of the hard work guys.

phyte
phyte is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:43 PM   #22
GRB

Send a message via MSN to GRB

Well I have a question about option #2...

What would be the point in capturing outposts if you can only spawn at main bases and squad leaders???

I mean, that would completely remove the point in conquest gameplay. Now in AAS (Assault and Secure), its a different story because everyone will be heading to the same place. But on servers that have conquest enabled it would by mayhem...No good.

Option #1 will work as far as increasing teamwork amoung infantry battles without a doubt. The effect has to be strong, it has to make you unable to focus on a target yet at the same time still allow you to find cover.

I dont think increasing spawn times is a good idea. There are otherways of increasing a realistic combat experience. Increasing spawn times, IMO, will simply make gameplay way too boring and frustrating. Although, I will admit, it WOULD make people avoid death more often. But death is inevitable in a game. And if everytime you die, you have to wait 30 seconds to respawn, its going to become very annoying. I think it would have a severely negative affect on the mod and its community.. You gotta remember the wide variety of people that could be playing this mod. Keeping the frustration level down is VITAL to keeping a good mod rolling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
------|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
News|------
Last edited by GRB; 12-01-2005 at 08:45 PM..
Old 12-01-2005, 08:56 PM   #23
BrokenArrow
Retired PR Developer

If spawn times are kept short, main base spawning only is needed, if not i can agree with having certain CPs being spawn points but definitely not all, on the front lines replacements need to come from the rear.

BrokenArrow is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:10 PM   #24
Armand61685
Send a message via AIM to Armand61685

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-PUB]GRB
Well I have a question about option #2...

What would be the point in capturing outposts if you can only spawn at main bases and squad leaders???

I mean, that would completely remove the point in conquest gameplay. Now in AAS (Assault and Secure), its a different story because everyone will be heading to the same place. But on servers that have conquest enabled it would by mayhem...No good.

Option #1 will work as far as increasing teamwork amoung infantry battles without a doubt. The effect has to be strong, it has to make you unable to focus on a target yet at the same time still allow you to find cover.

I dont think increasing spawn times is a good idea. There are otherways of increasing a realistic combat experience. Increasing spawn times, IMO, will simply make gameplay way too boring and frustrating. Although, I will admit, it WOULD make people avoid death more often. But death is inevitable in a game. And if everytime you die, you have to wait 30 seconds to respawn, its going to become very annoying. I think it would have a severely negative affect on the mod and its community.. You gotta remember the wide variety of people that could be playing this mod. Keeping the frustration level down is VITAL to keeping a good mod rolling.
Um, realistic military sim players wouldn't mind the increased spawn times. And aren't we trying to attract those kind of people to this mod? Shouldn't that be the main fan base? Why do you recommend catoring to people who are impatient and not careful with their virtual life? Red Orchestra has long spawn times (wwii mod for ut2004), America's army has ROUNDS, DOD has 45 second spawn times...and they all have plenty of popularity

so I ask you, why would that be such a bad thing for a mod called PROJECT REALITY?

I think you guys need to get back into perspective as to what this mod is all about. It's realism and military sim.
Armand61685 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:13 PM   #25
Rg

^aaaaAgreed!
Rg is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:17 PM   #26
Paladin-X
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via MSN to Paladin-X

Spawn times are controlled by server admins.

Paladin-X is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:18 PM   #27
BrokenArrow
Retired PR Developer

Not so far as to compromise playability.

Since when has DOD had 45 second respawns?

Rounds probably wouldnt work in a game based on the scale of BF2.

Since you brought it up though, DOD has shorter respawn times (I think the longest i've seen during a round is 10-15 seconds) but they have main base only spawns, this works well even on maps that arent very big, if you dont coordinate teams become separated and they are easy pickings for the other team. This could work even better on larger maps. It would really give the commander something to do, he would have to coordinate pushes into enemy territory so it makes him more of a team player and takes away the god mode he currently holds. There ARE other ways around long spawntimes, an occupied player, in most cases, is a happy one.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:23 PM   #28
Armand61685
Send a message via AIM to Armand61685

dude, it won't compromise playability--maybe only to little arcadey kiddies but not the real realism/mil sim players that this mod is all about.
Armand61685 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:27 PM   #29
Rg

I just don’t see why people have such a problem with longer spawn times. If you don’t have main base spawning only, longer spawn times are a must.

When I played JO a while back, the maps are huge so it takes a while to get to flags, so even if you spawn at the neighbor base, you still have to hike quite a distance. Game play was much slower because people didn’t want to die. If you ran up to a flag you would be shot in a second. BF2 bases are too damn close to each other, so there needs to be some compromise. Longer spawn times or base only spawning should improve game play quite a bit.
Rg is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:29 PM   #30
BrokenArrow
Retired PR Developer

Paladin already said its a server-side option, which means unless you have a server there's not much you can do. SO now in my opinion main base only spawning is the way to go.

Tags
brainstorm, dying, fearful, make, players, ways