project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
24 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
VipersGhost

Default Increase Respawn Times - Next open beta

I know this is an old topic and probably pretty controversial but it might not be a bad idea for an open beta.

The 30sec+ respawn time really is pretty dang short and it tends to not prevent guys from going gungho. I think doubling that to 1 minute might just change the feel of the game.

Right now it still has that vanilla feel. You can respawn so fast that you really aren't punished for dieing. So you can do some recon, rush the enemy to mash them with nades or just run-n-gun....then die and be back alive so quickly. I want to know that when I've killed a guy and survived that I've done something.

I never really feel like...ooh I died, now I'm out for a bit. Without that dynamic, guys will still cruise around recklessly. Also killing a guy doesn't mean you've damaged their team much as you know they'll be back in 40 seconds AND know your teams position. I'm always a fan the Rainbow games with rounds and "when you out, your out" feel...I think moving PR more towards that and further away from vBF2 would be a good thing. Plenty of people play games like CS or Rainbow where you die and have to wait 1+ minutes to come alive...I don't think it'd hurt PR. Yes even in those games guys rush a lot...but they are CQB style where rushing is a more valid tactic.

I know the spawn mechanics are being reworked but I still would like to see this tested. This would make our in-game lives a lot more valued and reward the more conservative\ realistic players.
VipersGhost is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:46 PM   #2
Katarn
Retired PR Developer

There is an active discussion about making PR less run-n-gun and make it less of a spawn-in-and-die spamfest in the dev forums. Without increasing spawn times.
Katarn is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:52 PM   #3
BetterDeadThanRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Katarn View Post
There is an active discussion about making PR less run-n-gun and make it less of a spawn-in-and-die spamfest in the dev forums. Without increasing spawn times.
+1 half of the times I die, it is not because I charged into the fray but just bad luck. Most of the time, people who charge into the fray will at the very least take a few people with them. Hardly fair.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LeMazing.
BetterDeadThanRed is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:58 PM   #4
VipersGhost

Quote:
Very cool, any more info...just curious.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:01 PM   #5
[R-DEV]dbzao
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterDeadThanRed View Post
+1 half of the times I die, it is not because I charged into the fray but just bad luck. Most of the time, people who charge into the fray will at the very least take a few people with them. Hardly fair.
Indeed... specially in CQB sometimes the rushers can get better results than a stationary soldier guarding a position. This is not good, and hopefully some deviation tweakings can help with that.
[R-DEV]dbzao is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:06 PM   #6
ReaperMAC

Send a message via AIM to ReaperMAC Send a message via Skype™ to ReaperMAC

Good to hear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[R-DEV]dbzao: My head Rhino.... (long pause) My beautiful head
[R-DEV]Rhino - If you want to spam do it in the tester area please.
Control the Media, Control the Mind.
ReaperMAC is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:14 PM   #7
Outlawz7
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Its already bad enough, when you fall down somewhere, die and get 1 min spawn or spawn and get killed by spawn rapers or get TKd by a moron, as soon as you pop up on the field.

The current spawn times are fine.

Originally Posted by whatshisname55:
"Ah yes, that link to your hard drive is working perfectly."
Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:17 PM   #8
VipersGhost

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]dbzao View Post
Indeed... specially in CQB sometimes the rushers can get better results than a stationary soldier guarding a position. This is not good, and hopefully some deviation tweakings can help with that.
I totally agree there's definitely more than one factor surrounding the issue at hand. I see the problem as being greater than just run-gunners though, we all run around in the open...dash away from our squadies, try to strafe-spot snipers, rush tanks with C4, rush bunkers with nades and generally many other things that throw us into the action fast but with reckless disregard for our lives.

Why is this? Because really I don't mind dieing, and not many others do...its only 40second wait, hardly a penalty...and thats on a bad/long round. Dieing is basically a quick rearming/switch kit sometimes, where is the incentive to stay alive? When we hear gun fire, we sprint towards it...we don't move conservatively for the most part. I'm not speaking like its ALWAYS this way though, many times guys are playing conservatively...but this disregard for your players life occurs far more often than it should and its not just with the noobs.

I'd just like there to be something that makes a guy think twice before dashing out across the desert open without smoke, as it is now...we say "Ah, I'll give it a try and see if anyone is out there"...if death insues...so what, 30secs later and we are good as new...maybe a little walk to the fight but no big deal.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:27 PM   #9
Outlawz7
Retired PR Developer

People do take cover and stuff, but when half of the squad gets sniped by a scoped weapon under 5 seconds, then you can expect things to break apart...

Originally Posted by whatshisname55:
"Ah yes, that link to your hard drive is working perfectly."
Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:49 PM   #10
Waaah_Wah
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawz View Post
Its already bad enough, when you fall down somewhere, die and get 1 min spawn or spawn and get killed by spawn rapers or get TKd by a moron, as soon as you pop up on the field.

The current spawn times are fine.
X2
Waaah_Wah is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
beta, increase, open, respawn, times