project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
19 Dec 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2007, 09:54 PM   #1
willgar
Default suggestion for better AT mines...

Tanks fear urban spaces and uncharted land due to the likelyhood of a well placed Anti Tank Mine. Ground troops move ahead of armour and clear out mines. But in PR - the mine is clearly visible and easily circumvented.

The tactic of running at a tank with the hope of dropping a mine infront of a tread is unrealistic and cheap. A anti tank mine is very heavy and takes time to deploy.

So what is the alternative? - My suggestion is to make the mines transparent (a glass texture) and very thin (to simmulate being buried). Make placing a mine take a 10 secs and allow enginners to carry only one - with resupply availble at humvee / crates / APC.

Give NME enginners a new item -a mine detector that will allow them to spot nme mines which once spotted can be removed with a wrench. This will force tank / infantry co-operation as before a tank goes charging over a bridge or into a hostile town - sappers would need to go ahead and clear the way.

Tanks will become what they should be - a valuable asset that requires teamwork to utilise properly. Unfortunetly i dont code (unless you count 6502 Assembly Language Programming) - so is this idea feasible?
willgar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:03 PM   #2
Waaah_Wah
Banned

I would like to see "thin" mines. Not transparrent though, that would look weird
Waaah_Wah is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:08 PM   #3
willgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waaah_Wah View Post
I would like to see "thin" mines. Not transparrent though, that would look weird
Hopefully - you would'nt see them at all as they would be transparent. The transparancy is just a trick to simulate the mines being buried undergroud (which i belive you cant do properly in the engine)
Old 08-08-2007, 12:04 AM   #4
nillazsuck

Quote:
Not transparrent though, that would look weird
They wouldn't look weird, they wouldn't look anything (hence transparent). I'm with you guys and the other who have suggested this idea before. Longer time to deploy mines not just throw them. I would be nice to have a longer deploy time for the mine, that or have the engineer bury them with his shovel, basically turning them invisible. Watch the tks go up. I think people are attracted to the red skull and crossbones.
nillazsuck is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:15 AM   #5
77SiCaRiO77
Retired PR Developer

i would like to see mines that dont NOT kill a tank instantaneously , all the modern tanks can survive one explotion of a mine (the only killed will be the driver :P) .

for a better mine representation i sugest make the mine inmobilized the tank , not destroying it completadly
77SiCaRiO77 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:24 AM   #6
[R-MOD]Mongolian_dude
Forum Moderator

Perhaps the insurgent Mine (IED) should not be as damaging as a normal mine. Perhaps with a skin like an artilary shell too? As some of the heavy Duty IEDs are made from that kind of gear.

...mongol...

Military Lawyers engaged in fierce action

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-MOD]Mongolian_dude is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:27 AM   #7
Expendable Grunt

Send a message via ICQ to Expendable Grunt Send a message via AIM to Expendable Grunt Send a message via MSN to Expendable Grunt Send a message via Yahoo to Expendable Grunt

Well there are two ways to do this...either have a wrench get rid of the model (keeping the warning for a friendly mine), or put the collision mesh in the upper circle part, so when you deploy it the bulk falls under ground.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Former [DM] captain.

The fact that people are poor or discriminated against doesn't necessarily endow them with any special qualities of justice, nobility, charity or compassion. - Saul Alinsky
Expendable Grunt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:59 AM   #8
Trigz07

hmm why not just take 10 seconds to place the mine but make the animation not throw it. Make it so you need to be crouch to place the mine, make it so you have to then take out your shovel click and hold lmb for 5 seconds on the mine so it simulates being buried, and make it so you only get 1 mine. That pretty much somes it all up, and 1 more thing make ied have 2 different models, basic ones a phone to a box, or a wire with a box connected to a artillery round.
Trigz07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:13 AM   #9
arjan

or get rid of the red skulls of th friendly mines and make an little red tryangle or something on youre map .. like you have green tryangles for the command structures
arjan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:02 AM   #10
willgar

wandering off track..not talking about a IED or the warning system - both in my opinion are fine. Just the fact that a anti tank mine is not something you run up to a tank and throw at its tracks. The main issue i have is that mines should not be visible to a vehicle and infantry need work with tanks to keep them safe from mines...

Tags
mines, suggestion