project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
18 Sep 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2005, 08:54 AM   #1
Artnez
Supporting Member

Default Very important addition to PR full release.. please add this..

I completely forget to suggest this every time I hit the forums. Finally I remember.

BF1942 had a great feature... the grid on maps. The great part it is, this should be hella easy to implement. The image that is the minimap, simply add some grid lines and name rows and columns (IE: C1, C2, C3, B1, B2, B3, etc)

It's not necessary to actually link it with the chat like it was done in BF1942.

It's very difficult to say "hey man, you have a tank coming in on the ramp near this or that flag.". Much easier to say "hey man, you have a tank coming in at the top right corner of D4".

Yes, you can spot the target but there are so many "enemy spotted", "get first aid here" type things going on.. you really wont notice.

Grid points are invaluable to the war effort and easy to implement

"Having the piss taken out of you is a small price to pay when others do your research. Thank you gentlemen." - Azametric(IRL)
Artnez is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 09:07 AM   #2
Enforcer1975
Send a message via ICQ to Enforcer1975

Great idea, but it's also easier so say: T90 coming to abandonded village from south east. The maps are so small the units almost appear in the moment you found out which quadrant they were 10 secs before. Those sectors would be better on a big map, like on OFP where you had 100km² devided in 1km² sectors and these sectors again were devided into 100x100m sectors.

In most cases reporting an enemy via report menu is easier and much more effective because the guys who are not in ts also know where to look.

But still it is a good idea of griding the map, imo it only works on clanwars. Most non clan players don't have an idea what they are good for. For them it's just a feature to add realism ( every mispec map has a grid system i suppose )
I must admit there are some players in my clan who get lost on a map...

He who fights and runs away can run away another day.

United Multiplayer Corps - OFP Clan, soon playing Armed Assault
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

xfire: enforcer1975
Enforcer1975 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 09:12 AM   #3
Artnez
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcer1975
Great idea, but it's also easier so say: T90 coming to abandonded village from south east. The maps are so small the units almost appear in the moment you found out which quadrant they were 10 secs before. Those sectors would be better on a big map, like on OFP where you had 100km² devided in 1km² sectors and these sectors again were devided into 100x100m sectors.

In most cases reporting an enemy via report menu is easier and much more effective because the guys who are not in ts also know where to look.

But still it is a good idea of griding the map, imo it only works on clanwars. Most non clan players don't have an idea what they are good for. For them it's just a feature to add realism ( every mispec map has a grid system i suppose )
I must admit there are some players in my clan who get lost on a map...
I was thinking the same thing until i remembered a problem i had on karkand..

Many of the roofs are easily accessible so I was trying to point to my teammate where the sniper was. The roof was between two spawn points among alot of other roofs. I couldn't spot him because he was ducked down.

Anyhow, it's so easy to do I dont see why not add for those that would like using it. It doesnt take away from anything soo... yea..

"Having the piss taken out of you is a small price to pay when others do your research. Thank you gentlemen." - Azametric(IRL)
Old 10-29-2005, 01:37 PM   #4
solodude23

Send a message via AIM to solodude23 Send a message via Yahoo to solodude23

Its alot easier to use grids imho. If you want to say it quick, you can just say something like, "sniper to the north" or whatever but to be exact without grid squares its very hard. In bf1942 you can easily say things like, "Enemy sniper, D4" However BF2 does ahve the spotting feature....
solodude23 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 07:05 PM   #5
NikovK
Retired PR Developer

The spotting feature and the waypoints are very handy, but a grid system allows a commander to say on Karkand; "Squad one, defend D column, squad two, E column. Do not advance beyond row 7". That's a lot more precise than "Ok, squad one defend the street between the buring wreck thingy and the hotel CP, and squad two defend that one street east of the Hotel back to the square and as far forward as those shipping pallets in the corner." Next we'll break out the range cards for the Support class and throw terms like "defilade fire" around... or I'm just dreaming.
NikovK is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 08:46 PM   #6
Artnez
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikovK
we'll break out the range cards for the Support class and throw terms like "defilade fire" around... or I'm just dreaming.
Ooooh...

Old 10-29-2005, 11:03 PM   #7
DAWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikovK
The spotting feature and the waypoints are very handy, but a grid system allows a commander to say on Karkand; "Squad one, defend D column, squad two, E column. Do not advance beyond row 7". That's a lot more precise than "Ok, squad one defend the street between the buring wreck thingy and the hotel CP, and squad two defend that one street east of the Hotel back to the square and as far forward as those shipping pallets in the corner." Next we'll break out the range cards for the Support class and throw terms like "defilade fire" around... or I'm just dreaming.

This does make a big difference, being able to see areas in relation to a grid make it much easier for people to know where they should! or shouldn't be and allow the commander a much better idea, strangely enough, of what is going on around him. Sometimes you can't see the enemy spotted call, because it's outside your mini map. However getting a shout of a armor in grid A/7 lets you know exactly whats going on and where without having to see it.

DAWG is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
add, addition, full, important, release