project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
31 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2007, 08:38 PM   #1
ZanderArch
Default Class Specific Spotting

Ran search, turned up nothing remotely similar and checked first page of "Already suggested suggestions" got nothing.

Here's my idea, plan and simple: Depending on what enemy you are spotting, depends on what is said and what icon pops up on the (mini)map.

As of now, the Sniper is marked as a special target. Spotting them yells out "Enemy Sniper!" and drops a Sniper Scope style Crosshair on your map where they are.

Now, I'd suggest limiting this for realism. At most distances you're going to have time to spot the enemy, you aren't going to be able to tell a Rifleman from a Medic.
Ideally, most of the Limited kits would have a special marker. Soldiers with Anti-Tank and Anti-Air weapons would easily be spotted due to their large launcher on their back. For the AT classes, use the Large Missile that appears on the kit when it's on the ground and for the AA, maybe make it look more stream line, thinner, and with smaller fins. Maybe even have them aim a different way if that is possible. Maybe Support Gunners should be marked since they are a priority target for infantry, just like AA/AT is for tanks and aircraft, and they would be easily noticed lugging around a big machine gun.

For the map icons, other than the ones mentioned, using the kit icon when it's on the ground would work, but for the Marksman, use a tighter Sniper Icon, like, excuse my ASCII skills....
Code:
  MARKSMAN   SNIPER(Current)
     |            /|\
    /|\          / | \  
___/_|_\___    _/_/|\_\_
   \ | /        \ \|/ /   
    \|/          \ | /    
     |            \|/
Also, most definitely, Squad Leaders should be marked with this. The Icon for it draws a blank, but there should definitely be a "THIS IS A SQUAD LEADER" icon/sound for him.

I'm not a very experienced modder, but I have delve into the kit files and know that doing this would be possible.
The requirements for this would be simple, Voice Actor(s) to yell the spotted command and icons for the mini-map. The coding bit would take me like five minutes to do, but for the modders on the PR team, they could probably finish it before they started.

One last thing, would it be possible to 'graph' these type of markers onto friendly icons? Like marking friendly Medics with the Cross/Plus Sign and such, making it easier to find friendlies for Supply/Heal/Repair or know the guy on the other side of the wall is an AT, giving you the ablity/foresight to follow him if you know a tank is around and want to stand a fighting chance vs. it.

Thank you for listening, comments?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If you want realism, go outside."
-Krenzo
ZanderArch is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:05 PM   #2
workingrobbie

really like the idea. Hope it's possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Vikingo
I understand you're new to the forums... so your "Castle Fortress" would be just...(how can I say this without getting banned...?) not good?
workingrobbie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:09 PM   #3
Doom721

Mmm I don't really like it, I personally don't feel like having a more magical GPS spotting system, it will end up like battlefield 2142 ...

"FAIL" - Right after you drive on the grass in Gran Turismo 4
Playing PR since Halo dropping spec ops and SL spawn
( .3
)
Proud Member of the ~6 player PR clan StrkTm
Doom721 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:14 PM   #4
workingrobbie

It's not about 'a magical GPS' though. It's graphical representation of your squad mates screaming "There's a damn machine gunner on the ridge!"

Quote:
I understand you're new to the forums... so your "Castle Fortress" would be just...(how can I say this without getting banned...?) not good?
Old 05-15-2007, 10:25 PM   #5
77SiCaRiO77
Retired PR Developer

in the video of bf2 (E3) there was a : "we got a enemy RPG up hay(?)"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9ekrfpnGBY

that will be VERY usefull for armor whores
77SiCaRiO77 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:14 PM   #6
PlayPR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77SiCaRiO77

Dont ever let me watch that video again... That was what BF2 was supposed to look like... And look at what we got!

PlayPR! is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:50 PM   #7
workingrobbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77SiCaRiO77

Wow..that makes Vanilla look good! *wistful sigh* This is what it could of been.

(oh..and he says "Enemy RPG up high" - since the RPGer is on the roof)

Quote:
Old 05-16-2007, 12:45 AM   #8
Copy_of_Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom721
Mmm I don't really like it, I personally don't feel like having a more magical GPS spotting system, it will end up like battlefield 2142 ...
I think what he means by this is the use of blind spotting. Just guessing the spot of an enemy and "spotting" it to let everyone know not only the location of the enemy but the class.

I would rather a system based on manual spotting that includes groups of enemy(recon unit, AT team , infantry fireteam, etc.), armor groups (tanks, armored recon) instead of breaking each spotting up by individual unit.
The hardest part might be choosing the naming convention you would use.

While the game is geared more toward squads and teamplay it makes little sense to me to justify a spotting system that individualizes.

Copy_of_Blah is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:18 AM   #9
El_Vikingo

Enemy SPEC ops spotted?!?!
Enemy Heavy At spotted?!

You shouldn't even have "ENemy Spotted"

If you are reading this dont stop, cause if you do, I'll kick you in the balls.
El_Vikingo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:18 AM   #10
mammikoura

It's not a bad idea. Though you can do it by using voip. And then you will really have to use your eyes to see which kit the enemy has, which is more realistic than seeing a guys leg and spotting him and the spotting revealing that he was the SL.

And do you have any idea what the Sniper (current) icon looks like?
mammikoura is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
class, specific, spotting