project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
22 Jul 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2007, 08:41 AM   #1
HABO3

Default .50 cal & 12.7 mm MGs need a higher suppression factor

I never see anyone getting too many kills with these weapons and anyone who tries to use the MG in an idle vehicle dies FAST. At the very least the MGer should be able to lay fire down around an enemy and force his view into some extreme version of the blur effect that's used when bullets strike near you. This way people will be more inclined to hold down the trigger and keep the enemy suppressed like these weapons were intended to be used.

Whenever I'm leading a squad on an attack I don't even consider using the Hummers, Vodniks and FAVs for anything other than transport because I know I'll just have a dead corpse sitting in that MG hatch real soon, better to use that soldier on foot. But in real life you would want that heavy weapon for fire support for sure and it would be more fun to see these weapons added to the teams firepower more often.
Last edited by HABO3; 05-14-2007 at 08:47 AM..
Old 05-14-2007, 09:17 AM   #2
MadTommy
Supporting Member

Not always true.. I’ve used many a 50cal on Hummers, Vodniks, and Landrover’s as effective suppressive fire. Of course if you are stationary lighting up the area, you had better hope there are no snipers about. But if you have a squad backing you up it can be very effective. If you are by yourself you wont last long.

I remember one round in Helmand Province, had a Landrover and 6 man squad on a flag defending, i was in the centre of the area with the 50cal on the Landrover, and my squad was defending on the burns around the flag. I put effective fire down for around 10 minutes, eventually getting sniped, but not before effectively suppressing numerous attacks from my elevated position. Got plenty of kills. You need to higher than your enemy or you are very vunerable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABO3
Whenever I'm leading a squad on an attack I don't even consider using the Hummers, Vodniks and FAVs for anything other than transport because I know I'll just have a dead corpse sitting in that MG hatch real soon,
These are not offensive weapons, IMO, so you are right not to attack with them, but they are very good for defence and quick transport.
Last edited by MadTommy; 05-14-2007 at 09:26 AM..
Old 05-14-2007, 10:39 AM   #3
HABO3

They can be part of an offense, they support the main assault. It's a heavy weapon that can be quickly placed into position to support an assault. But the vehicles don't drive directly into the assaulting units objective. Not something that happens often in the present conflicts due to limited ROE but I did read two books about Force Recon marines dashing through streets in HMMVs opening up on the enemy fighters during the invasion of Iraq and of course theres the SAS in WWII that used jeeps for direct assaults.

Is there a special way to place a vehicle on high ground without it slipping? Because for me thats the worst place to put the damn thing, the gradual slip makes it hard as hell for me to shoot anything.
Last edited by HABO3; 05-14-2007 at 10:46 AM..
Old 05-14-2007, 05:01 PM   #4
JKRMAUI

I personally just don't like the sights....I find it very hard to hit targets with the Mounted weapons.

I personally think they should be set up more like the Personal weapons. You have the normal looking view then Right click to "aim" with the sights.

Also About the Light HMMVs playing a role in the assault. From what I gather they end up being used in a very large field of missions. Not just Transports. The Marines use HMMVs as gun trucks
And use them for Patrols. Many of them Aren't just armored up for IED protection. They aren't built for head on attacks. But they do find them selves in some very Hairy Situations.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ec1_1175347821
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=108_1173358318
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9866abbb47
Last edited by JKRMAUI; 05-14-2007 at 05:21 PM..
Old 05-14-2007, 05:01 PM   #5
Smitty4212

I kind of like the idea of them having an increased blur effect. Certainly a stream of .50 flying over your head, or hitting near you is probably going to make more of an impact than a few rounds from my P226
Smitty4212 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:13 PM   #6
daranz

I don't know about you, but if I was behind cover, it wouldn't matter whether it's 5.56x45 at 725 rounds per minute or .50 at 500 rounds per minute - I still wouldn't want to stick my head out and wave to the guy on the other side of the gun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
daranz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:15 PM   #7
NYgurkha

thoese mounted MG's are extreamly useful. Two HMMWV's with half a squad each (in them respectively, thus making one full squad together) can hold out against a siizable fors as long as there are no MTB's nearby.
NYgurkha is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:22 PM   #8
SiN|ScarFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgurkha
thoese mounted MG's are extreamly useful. Two HMMWV's with half a squad each (in them respectively, thus making one full squad together) can hold out against a siizable fors as long as there are no MTB's nearby.
Until you catch some AT rounds and tube launched nades. Hmmwv are death traps once you make contact.

I think the bullet shockwave sounds need to be beefed up like they were when someone modded them into the game the first time. Once they were added officially by the DEVs they were weak sauce which sucks. I'm gonna see if I can find the ORIG bulletsound mod.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SiN|ScarFace is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:25 PM   #9
[DVB] TRIggS

I think its too easy to get picked off in them. If someone took the time to flank me while Im pinning down their teammates i wouldnt have a problem, but I usually die in one because they jump up in front of me and fire one into a weak spot on the armor. BTW, will CROWS humvees still be implemented. The only place I heard they were on was Al Basrah but now the British are taking over.

[DVB] TRIggS is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:26 PM   #10
[T]Terranova7

The main thing is, the vehicles themselves are very vulnerable. Most maps sport much more powerful vehicles (APCs, Tanks). The fact that it's outclassed makes it an unlikely vehicle to choose in an assault. Then you look at the abundance of L-AT and other explosive devices, then using a Jeep for anything other than a quick transport doesn't seem smart, since your likely to run into someone with the capability of taking you out in a single action.

Though with L-AT becoming limited, I imagine we might see much more common use of the jeeps. What we could use is a map designed around light vehicles. Something like the BHD scenario, with alot of jeeps, maybe a few transport choppers and urban warfare.

Member of
|

[T]Terranova7 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
127, cal, factor, higher, mgs, suppression