project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
01 Nov 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

View Poll Results: What should be done with SF kit
Get rid of it 58 16.81%
Make it a limited kit 69 20.00%
Make it a paratrooper kit 91 26.38%
Make it a CQB rifleman kit 72 20.87%
Leave it alone 55 15.94%
Voters: 345. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2007, 01:47 AM   #181
Bobert08

I can't voice my opinion with a new topic simply because others have already had opinions on it. Even if the idea is discussed to death, we don't seem to realize I may have brought some fresh ideas to the plate. Please try READING before you automatically close it.

Anyway, this is my idea for a possible paratrooper class.

First of all, we need a transport plane. I don't know what kind, it could be as big as the Merlin fuselage-wise for all I care. You don't even have to make custom ones for each faction if you don't want, just make it a generic cargo plane(not as easy as it sounds, I realize). It doesn't have to be an AC-130 or anything like that, it doesn't have to have any sort of weapons. All we need is an air taxi that can get higher faster than the choppers. The maximum a vehicle in BF2 can hold is 8 right? Then that is enough for an entire squad + pilot and whoever else. I don't want to bring up BF1942, as it's a different game than BF2, but when Desert Combat made the AC-130, they were able to make it semi-stable to walk around in while it moved. Maybe this can be achieved so you can haul around more than 7 passengers in short intervals. This transport would be most effective as a mobile spawn point, a flying APC of sorts. The reason for this, as it will be too time consuming for the plane to land and load up on troops after a drop.

Who would jump out of the plane you say? Well, as this poll shows, a decent number of people wouldn't mind seeing the Special Forces kit replaced with a paratrooper class. I realize this poll isn't official and doesn't hold much water, but a paratrooper class would be something worth trying out at least. If possible, it may be worth checking to see if you can create a limit to what kind of class can use the plane as a mobile spawn point(to prevent clog from people who don't have chutes, and take up space). If not, that may be something we could get used to, as people without the class wouldn't need to bother being in it anyway, as they can't jump. I don't know what the paratrooper load out would be, maybe an iron site fitted carbine so they are not quite as powerful as regular rifleman, but do well enough in the close quarter situations they are dropped into. I don't think any special player models would be needed. I admit I'm not familiar with all of the nation's paratrooper programs, but I would assume the British paras are linked to the GB Army as well today as they were in the past, and China would have some sort of program. The MEC is moderately fictional force as well, so they could easily have paras.

As you can see, my idea is still in the early stages and has lots of holes in it, mainly:

Modern day US Marines featured in PR do not have "para marines" like the short lived para marines of WWII. This idea could be postponed until the US Army is introduced, or if you really want you could give all the other nations paratroopers and temporarily give the Marines paratroopers.

What benefit would the pilot get for ferrying the paratroopers around? I don't quite know. The same satisfaction the transport chopper pilots get? Maybe award points to the pilots in intervals the longer they are alive inside of an aircraft, basically points for not being shot down.

What will stop the paratrooper class from simply jumping out of transport choppers? I don't know. I don't know the limitations of the BF2 system, and I don't know if it's even remotely possible to set a chute opening aerial limit, or some sort of lock on parachutes in helicopters. So that is a major problem that would need some sort of answer to prevent unrealistic low-altitude jumps.

How will this assumably slow and large aircraft be able to avoid being down by jet aircraft? Unfortunately I don't know this either, maybe decrease the flare downtime and increase the number of flares so the large aircraft can do everything it can to discourage a lock. Maybe do nothing at all, as jets are a very real threat to these sorts of planes.

Who knows, maybe the Paratrooper class can be a map-specific class depending on the map.

This is just a small number of things that would need to be addressed, and I probably haven't even scratched the surface. But I think with some great minds and ideas, this could turn into a very fun reality.

I'm not insisting that this is made a reality, but I think it's worth a bit more thought, at least in this topic.
Last edited by Bobert08; 06-17-2007 at 02:45 AM..
Old 06-17-2007, 01:50 AM   #182
Wolfe

Special Forces don't seem very special if everyone can choose it.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:20 AM   #183
Eddie Baker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobert08
I can't voice my opinion with a new topic simply because others have already had opinions on it. Even if the idea is discussed to death, we don't seem to realize I may have brought some fresh ideas to the plate. Please try READING before you automatically close it.
Please try reading before you post it. A paratrooper class makes even less sense than the current special ops kit does in its current in-game context, outside of the insurgent squad leader. Airborne units have their own combat engineers, medics, military police, etc; it would only be appropriate if one team was represented by an airborne unit, as it is on one of our maps, with all of the classes being equipped as such.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:41 AM   #184
Bobert08

Paratrooper units actually assist and aide other units more so directly than any Special Forces unit is able to.

The 101st Airborne for example fights and transports alongside other army units. Maybe not Marines, but I don't understand where you are getting this "makes less sense".

I think it makes a lot of sense for the upcoming extra large maps.

These really large maps have the potential to represent huge battles, not small firefights or skirmishes. Maybe Paratrooper forces can be map specific like the combat engineer.

I did read my own post beforehand, thanks.
Last edited by Bobert08; 06-17-2007 at 02:54 AM..
Old 06-17-2007, 07:55 AM   #185
LtSoucy
Supporting Member

Quote:
Please try reading before you post it. A paratrooper class makes even less sense than the current special ops kit does in its current in-game context, outside of the insurgent squad leader. Airborne units have their own combat engineers, medics, military police, etc; it would only be appropriate if one team was represented by an airborne unit, as it is on one of our maps, with all of the classes being equipped as such.
Hang on what country do u live in? And if u look in the USMC and US Army the 82nd is the last airbourne unit IN THE WORLD(besides for some countrys that u never hear about) The kit we should have is Air Assualt. Makes alot more sence but still ill surpport this idea because when iam 19 iam going to be 1! And u are wrong they dont have the following-
Combat Engineers
Military police
Ya they have medics and stuff like that but still its not hard because in the USMC the models are almost the same.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reality Gaming - Making Games Reality

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:56 AM   #186
TheParadoX
Supporting Member

Special Forces definitely need a silenced weapon, C4 instead of those ridiculous explosive sticky bombs and a grenade
Old 06-17-2007, 10:46 AM   #187
Eddie Baker
Banned

Quote:
Paratrooper units actually assist and aide other units more so directly than any Special Forces unit is able to.

The 101st Airborne for example fights and transports alongside other army units. Maybe not Marines, but I don't understand where you are getting this "makes less sense".
Parachute or airborne infantry operate independently or with other units up to regimental/brigade strength. Army units do fight alongside Marines quite frequently; battalion sized elements of both can be found in the regimental combat teams in areas of Iraq. I say again, it does not make sense for all paratroopers on a map to just be carbine-equipped riflemen when the automatic riflemen, machine-gunners, medics, anti-tank gunners, combat engineers, etc are not. Once again, it only makes sense if one team on a map is represented by an airborne unit.

Special operations forces, Ranger Regiment aside, can be and are attached to conventional forces in small units, with the conventional infantry units as a security or rapid reaction element. Also, the SOF might provide liaison, linguistic support, etc.

BTW, 101st Airborne has not been a parachute unit for decades. It is an air assault (helicopter) division; the Airborne title is a holdover out of tradition, just as 10th Mountain Division is a a light infantry division.

Quote:
I did read my own post beforehand, thanks.
I meant to read other people's posts within this topic and others. What you have suggested, others have suggested before almost word for for word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtSoucy
Hang on what country do u live in? And if u look in the USMC and US Army the 82nd is the last airbourne unit IN THE WORLD(besides for some countrys that u never hear about)
USA. There's also Russian VDV, British Army Parachute Regiment, Belgian Para-Commandos, French Foreign Legion 2nd REP, etc.

Quote:
The kit we should have is Air Assualt. Makes alot more sence but still ill surpport this idea because when iam 19 iam going to be 1!
Get any kit. Get in a helicopter. Get out of the helicopter when it lands. Voila- you have an Air Assault kit. They are just like the airborne in that sense.

Quote:
And u are wrong they dont have the following-
Combat Engineers
Military police
The 82nd Airborne Division has a military police company and a combat engineer battalion that are both airborne qualified. The British Army has 23 Engineer Regiment, which is fully parachute qualified, and operates with 16 Air Assault Brigade. 16 Air Assault Brigade also has a Provost Company (Royal Military Police) with air assault and parachute platoons.

Sorry, you were saying . . . ?
Old 06-17-2007, 10:55 AM   #188
eddie
The [R-MOD]s' Poodle

Yeah, you really shouldn't argue with Eddie, he will just rip your argument apart and shove it down your throat.

Soucy, to say that the US Army's airborne regiment is the last in the world "besides some countries you never hear about" is very disrespectful.

You realise today is the 25th anniversary of the Falklands war. During this war many of the men from the Parachute Regiments 2 and 3 died attacking 1000 garrisoned Argentinians? Think before you type.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:01 AM   #189
Outlawz7
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheParadoX
Special Forces definitely need a silenced weapon, C4 instead of those ridiculous explosive sticky bombs and a grenade

SF needs to be run over by a tank, squished by an armoured convoy and nerfed to his bare ass.

btw, thats a ridiculus idea, thats the vBF2 spec op...

I would want it limited, so nooblets cant just spawn as SF and Slam your Cobra/Apache or anything else, just because they couldnt get it...

Originally Posted by whatshisname55:
"Ah yes, that link to your hard drive is working perfectly."
Old 06-17-2007, 11:11 AM   #190
billdan

disagree with the paratrooper idea for the same reason as eddie's

Still sticking with the limited SF (2-4/32 man team) with same kit but with 2 grenades, binocs, and 2 slams capable of tracking an apc with 2

|TG-69th|Mix0lydian in-game
Closed Thread

Tags
forces, kit, special