project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
25 Jul 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
Dyer |3-5|
Default Making distance to scale

By now we have all heard, or made, complaints about how in RL this gun could shoot this far, this bomb would have this blast radius, and this plane could fly this high going this speed. It is obvious although PR is attempting to achieve as much realism as possible, it is NOT possible to create true-to-life physics in the game. Computers, as of now, cannot handle this kind of stress.

Since it is not possible to have the game and physics scaled to real world, why not create an actual distance scale that could be applied to most, if not all, of the aspects of the game that involve distance. By this I mean that if a plane can fly X number of feet high going going X number of feet per second, why not make them to the same scale. So if it can fly 10,000 feet high and go 5000 feet per second in RL, make it go 5000 feet high, and 2500 feet per second in the game (I used these numbers to make it easy to understand and calculate, I know that they are no where near accurate)

The scale used to calculate those could then be applied to the rest of game, i.e.: Distance weapons are accuate to, bullet drop, speed of vehicles and rockets, sprint distance, and possibly view distance. Then, although not true-to-life, the characteristics would be scaled to each other making them as realistic as possible given modern day technology.
Dyer |3-5| is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 02:24 PM   #2
causticbeat

Off topic, but it has to do with scaling and stuff in game.

Ive been thinking, and would it be possible to make a working svd scope rangefinder?

http://www.impactguns.com/store/medi..._ret_1000m.jpg

like to get each line (200m, 400, 600, etc etc) have a troop stand out that far (measure with move command) and then take a screenshot. Using the height couldnt you just resize the rangefinder to work with PR?

then you could adjust the chevrons so each chevron is whatever it is IRL for bullet drop

honestly, it would be great fun and i think a cool thing to show off about the mod... would add some depth to sniping (find range with rangefinder, then shoot from the correct chevron)

would be neat....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
causticbeat is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 02:39 PM   #3
jerkzilla

Well, if we'll ever have 1000m view distances, then it would really be cool (and hard) to snipe with bullet drop and bullet travel time, heck, maybe even wind if it's possible...
About scaling stuff down... I don't thinks thats a good idea, I mean some of the stuff in game is good as it is...
jerkzilla is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
Dyer |3-5|

Im not talking about making the game any smaller, I'm saying make everything in the game to the SAME scale. Distances/Altitudes in the game are already smaller, thats the way it is, but why have one distance be .5 of what it is in RL, and another .3 of the actual distance. If everything was set to an equal scale it would be much more like real world physics. It wouldnt matter that the plane could only fly [_____ft] high because all other distances would be set to the same scale.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:52 PM   #5
El_Vikingo

Tried flying a jet at 1250km/h in a 4km^2?

Me neither.

If you are reading this dont stop, cause if you do, I'll kick you in the balls.
El_Vikingo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:00 PM   #6
Dyer |3-5|

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Vikingo
Tried flying a jet at 1250km/h in a 4km^2?

Me neither.
Exactly, its impossible b/c the map size has been scaled down. But if we took the area needed for operational use of a jet traveling at that speed, and then used the same scale for the speed as the one used for the distance, it would make alot more sense then having the distance be much, much smaller and the jet traveling at near the same speed it would IRL
Old 03-27-2007, 03:02 PM   #7
causticbeat

nah, id rather see things be closer to realistic physics in a smaller operation area. With jets, unless you were to have like 100km maps stuff will be kinda touchy, but within the bf2 engine you can get pretty comfortable distance wise for tanks and infantry

causticbeat is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:51 PM   #8
Clypp

Send a message via AIM to Clypp Send a message via MSN to Clypp

The tradeoff will be more map area and view distance for lower polycount and a ton of work.

Everything is relative so this could work in theory except for hardcorded objects, actions and the like. The game might start to look like crap though because you will have to drop polys.

Interesting, original idea.
Clypp is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:54 PM   #9
Dyer |3-5|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clypp
The tradeoff will be more map area and view distance for lower polycount and a ton of work.

Everything is relative so this could work in theory except for hardcorded objects, actions and the like. The game might start to look like crap though because you will have to drop polys.

Interesting, original idea.
True it would be some work, but I was thinking more in terms of distances and speeds of vehicles, not objects. Thank you though.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:09 PM   #10
eggman
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

What we are striving for is to make things behave / perform as realistically as possible. There are obvious engine limitations in terms of physics modelling fidelity, and terrain size that causes problems there, the most obvious of which is with Jets and, to a lesser degree, helicopters.

Additionally there is just the pure "black art" aspects of tweaking vehicles in BF2... it's rather arcane and very time consuming.

I'd rather see how things behave in 4km maps with 800m view distance than neuter everything down to a foggy Karkand shoe box dynamic.

Cheers!
egg

eggman is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
distance, making, scale