project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
20 Jan 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2017, 03:31 PM   #11
Valmont
Default Re: Brainstorming on ideas to improve the immersion with the Ai Bots

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
The biggest issue with that is tank shells, missiles etc will all then explode on contact with the leaves of a bush/tree
Yeah, unless you also give those projectiles a slight penetration enough for the bushes but not enough for any other structure/vehicle.

But sounds like a lot of work...
Valmont is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:28 PM   #12
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmont View Post
Yeah, unless you also give those projectiles a slight penetration enough for the bushes but not enough for any other structure/vehicle.

But sounds like a lot of work...
As far as I'm aware that isn't possible.

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:55 PM   #13
Jabil_One
Banned

There are better ways to nerf bots and firing through foliage. Also improving performance at all.

The collisionmeshs for foliage doesn't work because the engine had to much to calculate when all projectiles that get fired hitting collisionmeshes. Mortar P>RX round hit 30 tree & bush collisons with one round, to name a excample.

Grenades would bounced back on a leafbush like hitting a wall. Unrealistic accidents WILL happen.

Grappling hook exploits.

Lazing targets would be nearly impossible or the treecollisions would protect a lasertarget vehicle when it drives near a treegroup that wouldn't be realistic anymore.

Mortars are only effective when shells fired in the open. Trees or bushes can be exploited as SHIELDS.

And you must ssee it also from the humanplayer side. You fire at a bot and your projectiles STUCK in a drybush.

APC support fire into a wood like on fools road wouldn't work anymore.

Collisionmeshes for foliage on kashan could work well but on maps like yamalia, kozelsk, korengal in coop ..... nah.
Last edited by Jabil_One; 09-28-2017 at 06:02 PM..
Old 09-29-2017, 09:38 AM   #14
[R-DEV]AlonTavor
PR Server License Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
As far as I'm aware that isn't possible.
I don't know, why are they different than tin walls? I've killed APCs with AP through walls.
[R-DEV]AlonTavor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:05 PM   #15
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]AlonTavor View Post
I don't know, why are they different than tin walls? I've killed APCs with AP through walls.
tank shells might, although they do still appear to "explode" on first impact.

Pretty sure missiles etc will not penetrate and doubt there is any way to stop grenades from bouncing off leaves and the other issues Jabil mentioned.

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:15 PM   #16
Valmont

Guys, I've just come up with another idea on how to fix the "Bots firing trough bushes/smoke issue".

This potential solution starts with the BF2 weapontemplates files.

This fix probably requires to add "Bot specific" versions of the weapon template files for every weapon that the Ai can use.

There is a parameter in the weapon templates:

.setFiresThroughTransparent - Basically it defines if that weapon's projectile size fit through a chain-link fence? 0 = no / 1 = yes, so the bot will/won't fire that weapon at you through the fence.

The idea for this fix is to give all the "bots weapons" a .setFiresThroughTransparent of 0 so that their bullets cannot pass through "fences".

Then make the smoke from the smoke grenade and some bushes (the bigger ones) a "fence".
ObjectTemplate.aiTemplate fence
ObjectTemplate.usedByAi 1
ObjectTemplate.initiallyWalkable 1

Since human players have .setFiresThroughTransparent set to 1 then human weapon's bullets will still pass through this new smoke/bush while the bots' weapons bullets won't.

Any Dev tried this? Willing to give it a try?
Last edited by Valmont; 10-01-2017 at 08:08 PM..
Old 10-01-2017, 07:21 PM   #17
Valmont

I've also found this:

.setExplosionRadius - When a projectile impacts whatever, this variable tells the bots (foe or friendly) the effective damage zone, and the bots if they detect this projectile will attempt to evade out of that radius (grenades for example). I think this evading action only applies to soldiers on foot.

Does that means that adding a .setExplosionRadius higher than 0 to a bullet would make a bot try to evade it if it is impacting nearby? (Therefore creating the effect of a bot taking cover?)

Is .setExplosionRadius just for the bots or it also affects human players?
Last edited by Valmont; 10-01-2017 at 08:06 PM..
Old 10-08-2017, 03:44 AM   #18
yrand24

Improve AI on vehicle in coop not like in bf2 AI are accurate and they kill all enemies on their sight but in pr the AI even stare at enemies and theyre driving is bad they always bump at each others vehicle on tank the when AI use the main cannon they circle the main cannon like nuts and I even use contact message to shoot at enemies PLS fix this...
yrand24 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:59 PM   #19
MIA89

we can implant memories of childhood, loved ones, etc...
MIA89 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
bots, brainstorming, ideas, immersion, improve