project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
23 Feb 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2015, 10:07 AM   #11
viirusiiseli
Banned
Default Re: Capping a neutral flag at the start of a game should give tickets.

Add ticket loss upon losing a flag while you're at it

Still not enough people understand the importance of flags and as a result mostly ignore them during games.
viirusiiseli is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #12
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure I wrote something about this once, but now I can't find it.

Basically, flags give reinforcements which the commander can give in any time of the game.

sweedensniiperr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:08 AM   #13
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

This could easily swing the other way. If flags give tickets in the beginning, teams would now rush and try to secure as many as possible at the start. This is also not what we want.
If we were to implement this, the tickets you gain would be significantly lower than the ones you lose with flags. So maybe only gaining 10 tickets for capturing. Would give incentive to take flags, but still punish if you take flags recklessly.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
[R-DEV]Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:45 AM   #14
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

What if there's a 30min delay then?(or X time)

sweedensniiperr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:48 AM   #15
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

You mean mandatory time limits for capping flags?

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
[R-DEV]Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:38 PM   #16
Xander[nl]
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Xander[nl]

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Mats391 View Post
This could easily swing the other way. If flags give tickets in the beginning, teams would now rush and try to secure as many as possible at the start. This is also not what we want.
If we were to implement this, the tickets you gain would be significantly lower than the ones you lose with flags. So maybe only gaining 10 tickets for capturing. Would give incentive to take flags, but still punish if you take flags recklessly.
Not sure if it would work for every map but how about limiting the ticket reward only to certain flags, ~i.e. the flags in the middle of the map. This way the capping of 'strategic' or 'tactically' important flags would be encouraged, while rushing the enemy's first flag(s) would not be.
Xander[nl] is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:30 PM   #17
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander[nl] View Post
Not sure if it would work for every map but how about limiting the ticket reward only to certain flags, ~i.e. the flags in the middle of the map. This way the capping of 'strategic' or 'tactically' important flags would be encouraged, while rushing the enemy's first flag(s) would not be.
That's possible although that requires a heavy amount of manual labour for the hundreds of layers and thousands of flags in PR So unless we get some really smart scripting going I doubt we will see that happening. Cause at first sight I like that idea. Although tbh I don't think there is much of an issue today with this in public games. It allows as some have said for some interesting strategic play which I welcome in PR.

[R-DEV]Mineral is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:55 AM   #18
sf17k

Interesting strategic puzzle.

If the enemies don't cap anything and you do, you're giving them a chance to take tickets and also pushing the fight closer to their territory where they can theoretically reinforce faster. So it seems disadvantageous to cap anything until you can cap everything at once and make them bleed.

On the other hand, capping forward can stall the enemy because they have to spend time neutralizing each flag they capture. If this buys you enough time to retake the flag, it's worth it. If it only buys you enough time to set up a new defense at an earlier flag, then it cost 30 tickets, so whether it was worth it is less clear.

This suggests that you should cap as far forward as you are certain you can defend, and no more. That is, until you've taken control of the whole map.

I'm not sure this is a bad thing, but it does seem strange to disincentivize capping. Rally points near capped flags used to stay up indefinitely, but that was removed in a recent patch, taking away one of the few advantages of a capped flag.

Perhaps the situation could be balanced by providing another advantage/incentive to capped flags. What if rally points within cap range stayed up indefinitely (instead of within two grid squares like before)?

Or what if the owner of a flag was able to see whether enemies are on it? Possibly also how many? That would let you know when the enemy is trying to cap behind you or sneak around, giving you an actual sense of map control while making it easier to convince players on public servers to defend.

EDIT: Though I suppose it could have the opposite effect, of people not defending until the flag tells them there's enemies on it. So exclude the active flag from showing enemy presence.
Last edited by sf17k; 12-06-2015 at 02:02 AM..
Old 12-08-2015, 06:16 PM   #19
matty1053

Id like to see a time limit. You can only capture neutral flags within the first 15 minutes of the round.

DETROIT TIGERS
matty1053 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:29 AM   #20
PeppeJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty1053 View Post
Id like to see a time limit. You can only capture neutral flags within the first 15 minutes of the round.
What happens if noone captures a flag then?

PeppeJ is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
cap, capping, flag, game, give, neutral, start, tickets