project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
02 Sep 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 02:30 AM   #11
[R-DEV]Thermis
PR:BF2 Developer

Default Re: New Artillery Area Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShadowFox View Post
Better the arty being operated by player =D

Like the mortars but maybe having a "computer" to help when calculating...

IIRC the mortars were an Area Attack, the same could be done with the artillery.
Mortars were an Area Attack, but the scale of PR maps makes it very very unrealistic to have an arty battery on the map as their max range is around 20 miles. It also takes something like 10 people to crew one M777 Howitzer in the real world not accounting for FOs and Fire Control personnel. On map mortars are realistic as their range is withing the maps parameters, and they can be crewed semi realistically by a 32 player team.
[R-DEV]Thermis is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:34 AM   #12
40mmrain
Supporting Member

what about rocket artillery? Bigger faster booms, but a longer wait time between strikes?

also, what about lowering area attack times for AAS? PResently arty is very under-utilized. In fact, a replacement of the JDAM on AAS for rocket artillery would be good for balance if time between strikes is reduced. With the JDAM, its single blast makes running for cover impossible, really, unlike artillery where a strike every 20 minutes wouldn't be nearly as bad, as opposed to a JDAM where it would just be an instant defusing of defenses.
Last edited by 40mmrain; 07-15-2012 at 03:17 AM..
Old 07-15-2012, 10:23 AM   #13
spawncaptain

You guys are talkin about high (at least bataillon) level artillery while in PR we don't even have a single platoon of infantry (on 64p). Come on.

User Ubaydah: "I used to play Call of Duty a lot and Battlefield 3. I am really good at those games 10th prestige, High K/d., I can kill people easily, etc. But on PR, for me, to be honest, I kind of suck."

User Not_able_to_kill: "Frontliner, you like evil man who comes to family house during christmas, takes out tree because it's too happy, so they can be just as sad as you"
spawncaptain is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #14
Eddie Baker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawncaptain View Post
You guys are talkin about high (at least bataillon) level artillery while in PR we don't even have a single platoon of infantry (on 64p). Come on.
Not sure how it works in foreign forces, but in US forces, unless it's a battalion task force (Army) / battalion landing team (Marines) with additional reinforcements, it would more likely be brigade level minimum, and even then those would be attachments from the divisional artillery unit (MLRS or HIMARS).

Otherwise, there's only the heavy mortars (120mm) organic to US Army infantry battalions and the 155mm howitzers and 120mm mortars (in this case operated by artillery rather than infantry units) attached to Marine battalion landing teams.

We already have aircraft being based forward of the off-map artillery; too much of a stretch as it is.
Eddie Baker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #15
[R-DEV]Thermis
PR:BF2 Developer

With the new army structure, all Brigade Combat Teams have an organic Arty unit. Either 105s or 155s. But that's the lowest command level I've ever seen them on. I think some of the Heavy BCTs have HIMARS batteries instead of Paladins, but rocket arty is at the Division level.
[R-DEV]Thermis is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:06 PM   #16
Hunt3r

To be the devil's advocate, I think arty should be much more common than it is now.

If somehow in PR we have the possibility of two attack helicopters or two jets on something like Kashan, why not have faster artillery? Yes, artillery is incredibly powerful and one strike can be gamechanging, but 95% of the time I never see area attacks. Even a map like Silent Eagle, which is basically a Fulda Gap scenario, the Russians basically never get artillery when IRL their battle plans dictate having enough artillery to basically level entire grids.

Honestly, I think that PR needs to keep scaling consistent. If we scale the maps for what jets and helicopters really cover, and try to scale up the infantry through rally points and FOBs, then why not scale artillery to give more attack available than before? Even if it was just every 10-15 minutes, that would be a massive gamechanger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hunt3r is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:24 AM   #17
40mmrain
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt3r View Post
To be the devil's advocate, I think arty should be much more common than it is now.

If somehow in PR we have the possibility of two attack helicopters or two jets on something like Kashan, why not have faster artillery? Yes, artillery is incredibly powerful and one strike can be gamechanging, but 95% of the time I never see area attacks. Even a map like Silent Eagle, which is basically a Fulda Gap scenario, the Russians basically never get artillery when IRL their battle plans dictate having enough artillery to basically level entire grids.

Honestly, I think that PR needs to keep scaling consistent. If we scale the maps for what jets and helicopters really cover, and try to scale up the infantry through rally points and FOBs, then why not scale artillery to give more attack available than before? Even if it was just every 10-15 minutes, that would be a massive gamechanger.
I agree. Also, I still like my rocket artillery idea. It would be utterly boring to crew artillery in pr, and because of small server counts it gets around issues of not enough inf. I think a large 4Km map, with a coupkleICVs (lightly armed APCs), trans helos, and ~10 minute arty attacks, instead of tons of heavy air and armour would be brilliantly fresh, and fun to play. Even taking older maps like kashan and doing that to them would breathe new life into the game. Wouldnt take much work either.
40mmrain is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:34 AM   #18
MaSSive

Send a message via Skype™ to MaSSive

No player controlled artillery ever. Therefore no rocket arty. This is just bad idea, and wont improve anything. Theres lots of things which are ''cool'' but are not in PR for a reason.

Mortars are enough, some might say even too much, when properly crewed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CATA4TW!
MaSSive is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:58 AM   #19
40mmrain
Supporting Member

I wasnt suggesting controllable stuff, I meant just a new area attack. JDAM, arty shells, or rockets, each have differences.
40mmrain is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:45 AM   #20
=HCM= Shwedor

It would be neat to have a rocket launched cluster munition. Makes for cool effects and sounds on a scale not much different from the current artillery. Not to mention that most of the real factions in PR have such weapons systems. (MLRS M270, BM-30 Smerch, BM-21 Grad, etc.)

YouTube Video

shwedor
=HCM= Shwedor is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
area, artillery, attack, explosive, smoke