project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
22 Jul 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
archerfenris

Default Drowning

In game I have noticed the ability to swim is ultra easy and the soldier can do it for incredible distances. Having taken military water survival courses myself I'd like everyone to note this is impossible. An American Army Soldier often times has well over 100 lbs of gear. This is why the new body armor issued to American soldiers has a tab that when pulled will cause the entire vest w/ plates to fall off.

Straight to the point. All armed forces should drown if they fall into water. Or bleed until they can press a "ditch" button which would drop their kit and leave them unarmed. Not sure how this would work or if it's possible but just a suggestion. I see something in the game that is unrealistic and PRs all about realism (within reason of course).

"Pacifism is the virtue of the naive"
Old 07-14-2012, 05:41 AM   #2
Arnoldio
Banned
Default Re: Drowning

Im all up for that... civies can drown, so should soldiers if in the water for a prolonged time.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
Bringerof_D
Supporting Member

not instantly i'd say but otherwise yes i'd agree. also most rivers have current unlike in video games which are dangerous.

HOWEVER, aren't most armies also trained to create implements to help them float when getting into deep water? i understand falling in and drowning, however if one's troops are expecting to swim across a large body of water, they would have prepared flotation devices whether proper or makeshift to get them and their gear across.

so unless we can also implement some player deployable device which allows the player to cross without drowning, i don't see how we can make this work. I guess it would have to work kind of like a vehicle but the model is that of him in the water hugging some small inflatable bag with his rifle across the top. It could be deployed similarly to the machine guns in FH.

for now i'm not sure i want the drowning, but if the swimming implement i mentioned above can be added at the same time then i'm all for it. Players should be able to swim for 10-20 seconds without assistance long enough to cross any narrow river. longer than that they start drowning without the float.

Anything can be a weapon, anyone can be a threat. Never under estimate the combat ability of your opposition. He may seem weak and harmless now but even a dead man can carry a few pounds of explosives in his gut or deliver a decisive blow by rotting away in your water supply.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
SShadowFox

Nice idea man, I like it and it should be added to the game.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
SGT.MARCO

I know that US have packs that are designed to float so I think it is ok how it is. It does not matter that they have heavy gear because their packs are designed to float
Old 07-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
SShadowFox

And what about, insurgents, taliban, Russia, GB, China, Germany?
Old 07-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
[R-DEV]Thermis
PR:BF2 Developer

US soldiers are actually trained to be able to swim short distances with all their kit in case they do fall into water. While you might drop your ruck and maybe your vest, I don't see any soldier in his right mind ditching his weapon unless he was literally drowning in the instance.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
=HCM= Shwedor

I have a severe distrust for helicopter pilots I don't know and APC crews I don't know, so I always like the option to swim.

shwedor
Old 07-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
[R-DEV]AfterDune
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Not possible in BF2 as far as I know. At least not actual drowning. I'm not even sure if you can find out if you're in the water or not.

Dice did try something like that, or they wanted to I think, as there are drowning sounds in the vBF2 files.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
40mmrain
Supporting Member

A simple timer until bleeding starts to occur would work. It's worth mentioning that the swim depth is pretty shallow, as well. Walking through a river at your waist wouldnt kill you, assuming low current, but swimming the whole way would be difficult, so that could be changed so small rivers dont become a huge bother?

But yeah those long swims on basrah, or ochimichra (whatever), etc are a little silly.
Closed Thread

Tags
drowning