project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
28 Aug 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
Tommygun
Default Remove name tags?

I did search for this topic and got about a thousand hits but nothing immediately obvious...

Why don't we remove the name tags above players? Discuss...

They are useful on the 64 player servers but remove some realism and stop people looking at their maps properly.

On 128 and greater servers the name tags are an irritation as they often don't work on some players.

There may be some performance boost to server and client side too?
Last edited by Tommygun; 04-14-2012 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: To & too, I'm a perfectionist....
Old 04-14-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
Brainlaag

Default Re: Remove name tags?

I personally dislike them, people become much more focused and check their environments more carefully when tags are not present. Something I'd like to see, is all nametags but the individual squadmarkers (to help ID and coordination on squadlevel, especially on the 128 for FTs etc.) removed. You only get the green icons + name for your squadmates and the rest all gone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brainlaag is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
Kain888
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainlaag View Post
I personally dislike them, people become much more focused and check their environments more carefully when tags are not present. Something I'd like to see, is all nametags but the individual squadmarkers (to help ID and coordination on squadlevel, especially on the 128 for FTs etc.) removed. You only get the green icons + name for your squadmates and the rest all gone.
This.

No nametags are IMO step in good direction. They make people oriented on checking map and position of team. Also it punishes even more ninjas with enemy kits. :P

I know the main argument against eliminating nametags - hard for admin to find griefer, but it's not the case since you can check their names by CAPS LOCK and that is what I do most of time, because it's the most effective way of dealing with offenders. Just all servers would have to force people into squads (now most do it, but not all), but it's good for teamplay anyway so I don't see anything wrong with that. ;]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kain888 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
Spush
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

It would require more teamwork, coordinated attacks/defense, and getting rid of binoculars. Which would be good in my opinion, since well teamwork is what we're aiming for right? Plus we have maps to check our friendly posistions.
Spush is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
Nitneuc
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Nitneuc

I think the mod has become mature enough to get rid of all nametags. They sure are useful but are a real turn-off for player immersion (one of PR's greatest feature) and buggy when it comes to the promising 64+ players servers.

No nametags and no pick-able enemy kits (unless enemy geometries bug can be fixed) are IMO the way to go for next release.

Many thanks to everyone involved in the making of the best videogaming experience ever !
Nitneuc is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
Tommygun

On 128 player servers name tags often don't show up on friendlies which I understand is a bug and on 64 player servers (it may be my imagination or looking for excuses) I swear I've been gunned down by a techie crew and seen them from my corpse view all with green (friendly) names...is that possible? I'd like to just have to be aware of my surroundings and communicate.
@devs. Would there be any significant performance boost to server or client performance or internet traffic turning this feature off?
Maybe dbzao should try this as an option on the new test servers?

Sorry about rehashing my first post but I was rushed (kids) and wasn't sure I'd said what I needed to.
Tommygun is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
Airsoft Soldier
PR:BF2 Deputy Test Lead
Project Reality Beta Tester

I can see an increased in teamkilling, and one of the reasons which makes the 128 player games frustrating, especially on playing on medium to low graphics where character models look very similar for both teams in some cases...combine that with wearing the helmet and vest of whatever teams kit you take which adds to the confusion.

Airsoft Soldier is online now Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
Kain888
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airsoft Soldier View Post
I can see an increased in teamkilling, and one of the reasons which makes the 128 player games frustrating, especially on playing on medium to low graphics where character models look very similar for both teams in some cases...combine that with wearing the helmet and vest of whatever teams kit you take which adds to the confusion.
I play on low and have no issue with that. I always check positioning of teammembers on map. Double checking is one of the tip when PR is loading, shame no one does it. :P

Kain888 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
[R-DEV]AFsoccer
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Moved to suggestion forum.

Guys, please stop disguising a suggestion as a discussion. Placing a suggestion in the discussion thread could get lost and thus not implemented.

[R-DEV]AFsoccer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
KiloJules

As many have stated I too would like to see the tags removed ... at least partially.
Why does it have to be all black or white?!
I would love to have it like this:

- Remove tags above friendly grunts (the blue ones)

- Keep them on your squad mates (as you would know the guys in your group very well; you could tell them apart by their height, beard, face, stature, voice, etc.) If not the whole name at least a green dot so you can tell them apart from all the blue guys sitting around them.

- Keep them on friendly SLs (as you would know them, salute them or they would identify them selfs e.g. when your squad enters a building held by friendlies and you as a SL wanna know who is responsible)

Even though having some of the tags might disrupt immersion it certainly helps the gameplay and makes it feel more natural imo.

Regarding the dots on the maps:

Kinda would do the same here. Remove blue guys, keep green ones and officers.

So, now I have to got prepare for the initial TART battle. See you (through my Scopes)
KiloJules is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
remove, tags