project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Infantry Tactics
22 Nov 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2007, 11:15 PM   #11
nedlands1

I remember once when I had an inside man... We were both playing on the GSA-bigD server with both of us on the same internet connection but with each on either team. The gamemode was extraction and the map was Helmand. I was peeking over at his screen, telling my team where all the insurgents were hiding. We get to extraction site to pick up the kit with our vehicle hiding in the undergrowth. Once the extraction party returns, my friend spawns as the insurgent AT(v0.5) with us perfectly in his sites and of course we all die thus losing the round.
nedlands1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:08 PM   #12
BlackwaterEddie

I have more articles in the works, i used to run a small Tactics database for use in squad based shooters, just modifying them to suit BF2 PR solely at the moment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BlackwaterEddie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:22 PM   #13
[R-MOD]Dunehunter
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to [R-MOD]Dunehunter

Just remember not to always go for the high(est) ground. You have to make a trade between being able to see, and being able to be seen, where you're usually better off going for the safer spot, and thus living longer.
[R-MOD]Dunehunter is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:47 PM   #14
BlackwaterEddie

All depends on what your role is, if youve been asked to get into a blocking area then you need the bare minimum of overall visibility, even sitting at the back of a room and looking through the couple inches of window that you can down an alleyway is ideal in that position.

As for overall surveillance and taking out choice targets i agree, there has to be a trade off, so whenever you see a guy with the only sniper kit climbing up the crane, dont worry, hell be down in a minute, although, hell be hitting the floor at some speed

Old 08-22-2007, 12:29 AM   #15
nedlands1

Actually sitting on the crane can be a very good place if you go about it correctly. First, you need a enemy's scoped weapon. Second, you mustn't be seen going up the crane. Third, you must pick your shots very carefully. Finally, if you shoot a guy without killing him, you need to pull back quickly and wait a few minutes before striking again. If you do this and they don't have frantic, spotting button, pressers then you can pull it off.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:51 AM   #16
BlackwaterEddie

But youre vulnerable from so many different angles.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:09 AM   #17
nedlands1

Again, it depends on where you position yourself.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:34 PM   #18
DeePsix
Supporting Member

There is a difference between Cover and Concealment. The crane offers great concealment (for some, i always look up there since Vanilla BF) but once you are detected, your toast. My squad was playing Gulf of Oman WAC and they had a sniper near the cab of the crane (toward the rear). When we picked him out, everyone simply laid suppression fire until we saw a body fall off the side

The crane might be pretty good initialy, as it offers a good point of observation (which I think is another important job for the Sniper) but when it comes down to actual urban sniping. Find a window or hill side overlooking the city.

PR Testing Team: Serious Business.
[R-DEV]LeadMagnet: I guess that's what you get when an Irishman drinks light beer.....bad advice.
[R-DEV]dbzao:
DeePsix is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:55 PM   #19
OiSkout

Hehe cranes are evil. Though I'm planning on having a "mission" up on one of those one day. Found a few more nice things about it, depending on the map and if you have a spotter.

Did some sniping in Sunset City for a while, until I got killed. Then my partner took up my rifle and was gettin sniped at. Soon as we respawned and revisited our previous location(we had to relocate once already due to a tank, thats when the other sniper found us).

The first(or actually second) placed we looked at was the crane. So easy to spot. We took some shots on him and apparently other people knew of his location and shot at him as well so he just chilled.

It's a perfect waste of our team's attention. He would just hide carefully for a bit until someone stopped shooting and returned to shoot(on a different part of the crane). We had to tell our team NOT to shoot at the sniper on the crane to draw him out and then bam, one shot, one kill.

Sigless.
OiSkout is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:55 AM   #20
nedlands1

If you get shot, there is not the distinctive sound of a sniper/marksmen's rifle, the first place you look will not be the crane. If there are no follow up shots, you are likely to turn your attention elsewhere, especially if there are other enemies rushing your position. This allows the concealed gunman to take another shot and will probably result in your death with you being none the wiser as to the gunman's location.

Tags
guide, sniping, urban