project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR Feedback Archives > PR v0.6 Feedback Forum
25 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR v0.6 Feedback Forum Feedback specifically on Project Reality v0.6.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2007, 07:49 AM   #1
smasher
Default Optimization !

Hello,

This mod is great but I think it could use a bit of optimization. Maybe shorten the view distance. I Don't know, but it should IMO run on the same pc that run normal BF2.

BF2 runs smoothly on my PC but the PR mod is a bit lagy (in a graphical way, ping is fine).

Just thought I should throw my 2cents .

Keep up the great work dev !!
Old 08-03-2007, 07:51 AM   #2
bosco_
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

We are aiming for getting even higher view distances, sorry
It is known that PR needs more RAM then vBF2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:59 AM   #3
.:iGi:. Greg

PR should definitely not run the same on the same PC as shitty vanilla does. PR has tons more stuff going on in the game and has the excellent view distances that we now all love. Reverting back to vanilla view distances would be a major disaster and is not what PR is about.

What spec is your PC?

You could try lowering your settings slightly. If you search on google you will find a settings optimisation page for BF2. It lists all the settings and tells you what differences you will notice between high/medium/low etc.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:13 PM   #4
Jaymz
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

yeah, we're sort of putting the BF2 engine on steroids atm and we will continue to do so if we feel it will help us towards the gameplay we're aiming for. That said, the coming server side patch does have a few performance tweaks to certain maps

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Clear the battlefield and let me see, All the profit from our victory." - Greg Lake
Old 08-03-2007, 04:28 PM   #5
smasher

well i have a P4 3.Ghz with 1Gb of Ram and a 6600GT 128mb video card with XP home.

I understand the view distance is something important but isn't there a other way to optimize a bit the mod ^^ ?
Old 08-03-2007, 04:57 PM   #6
Masaq
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Masaq

Yeah, as I understand it currently there's a fair bit of PR's code that needs a degree of spring-cleaning to make it a bit more lightweight. However, with a single gig of RAM you're not going to get the best performance out of BF2, let alone PR, no matter how much the Devs streamline the mod itself.

I'd not consider putting less than 1.5 Gb into any machine that's going to be used for gaming thesedays, with 2 as an effective minimum. DDR and DDR2 is so cheap currently there's no reason not to have at least 2Gb. (A single 2Gb stick of 533Mhz DDR2 currently costs around £40.)

"That's how it starts, Mas, with that warm happy feeling inside. Pretty soon you're rocking in the corner, a full grown dog addict, wondering where your next St Bernand is coming from..." - IAJTHOMAS
"Did they say what he's angry about?" asked Annette Mitchell, 77, of the district, stranded after seeing a double feature of "Piranha 3D" and "The Last Exorcism." -

Old 08-03-2007, 05:15 PM   #7
Viper5

Get some more RAM or just play with low settings.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:24 PM   #8
[R-CON]Psyrus
PR:BF2 Contributor

With 2GB of ram you'll really notice a difference. Also your graphics card only has 128MB of VRAM so textures and high resolutions will really hurt your performance. Have you considered moving up to a X2900 or 8800 series?
Old 08-10-2007, 05:36 PM   #9
Thunder

yeah you really should think of getting more RAM, and a gfx card with more VRAM, getting a 8800 its a bit extreme, but you should think of something a bit bigger

Old 08-10-2007, 07:11 PM   #10
gl1n

Get a cheap 7900 or x1900, don't know how much they cost were you live, but in Norway they are quite affordable. Remember to set texture setting to medium (don't know if problems in .5 still persist in .6 though)

I'm the guy outside sleeping in your flowerbed.

Tags
optimization