project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Faction Archives > Polish Forces
31 Aug 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Polish Forces Discussion pertaining to the PR Polish Forces faction.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
[R-COM]ddeo
Polish Faction Lead
Default [WEAPONS]wz. 1974 Pallad[WIP]

Hi, I'm currently reworking model for polish grenade launcher - Pallad. Before I'm going to texture it I would like to have small feedback on current model:

I'm not sure if I shouldn't make a cone from end of this barrel. This might be visible (?) in reloading animation since inside of the barrel is empty and chamber is big.

Few of reference photos:

Above reference photo shows that I've decided to remove cloves from view(distance)finder to lower down tricount. Should I add them?

Inside the chamber is not detailed at all as the reference picture shows, I'm planning to use just texture there with normal map.

Thanks for feedback. Cheers!

Edit:
Current look:
Last edited by [R-COM]ddeo; 06-10-2012 at 09:31 AM..
Old 05-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
Grober

Default Re: [WEAPONS]wz. 1974 Pallad[WIP]

Its looks good IMO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
[R-COM]ddeo
Polish Faction Lead

I'm mostly thinking about adding cloves to view(distance)finder. Rest can be added as normal map and texture. But this would increase tri count. Also I'm not sure if I shouldn't add more details and change some already existing ones to more fit whats on the reference pictures (for example main screw for viewfinder is less sphere, more cylinder).
Old 05-30-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
[R-DEV]Amok@ndy
PR:BF2 Comm Faction Lead
PR Server License Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to [R-DEV]Amok@ndy

i think you can reduce the tri count even more but im not a modeller i hope someone will show up and provide feedback.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
[R-COM]ddeo
Polish Faction Lead

Hmm I think tri count is fine, I slightly changed the screw and viewfinder today, also I've slightly optimized model. It has around 1800+ tris. Now when I have UV grid done I'm going to sculpt model for ultra high poly for bake to get nice normal map.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to lucky.BOY Send a message via Skype™ to lucky.BOY

Take this with a grain of salt, I am not a pro by nay means, but i will try to point out some things anyway:

Green - You might want to bake these bits onto a normal map, it would save a lot of tris. Maybe try the same thing with those cloves on the distance finder, it might work

Yellow - This should be welded, to prevent z-fighting. Unless you need to be able to move it in a an animation, then i dont know

Blue - this can have much less sides while still looking good, it will preserve some tris.

Yellow - might need welding here, too.

Also i dont know why you spit all your quads on your barrel into triangles, for me it would be easier to work with quads, but up to you

And I dont know how well Blender can export into bf2, I hope it will work for you.

Again, take this with a bit of salt, but i could point out something useful...
-lucky

Old 05-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
[R-COM]ddeo
Polish Faction Lead

Big thanks luckyboy, I would prefer to work with quads at that part too, but I'm not sure if there won't be some issues when converting them into tris (there are problems with converting BMesh to tris), so I'm trying to work with tris from start, that's not big deal.

I'm exporting model into .obj format after finishing it and I'm sending it to Dodek, he is exporting everything to BF2 through 3ds max. We have tested it and it works fine, model just needs to be selected as 1 object when exporting it from Blender to 3ds max.

Thanks again for feedback. I will lower details on blue thing. What about other similar parts for welding like bar from 4th screenshot (this one under pull/handle), should I weld it too? Also about green parts, I looked at eotech scope from pr and it had few similar screws, so I've decided to add few details in here too, but I think I'll lower the details in one of places.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
Doc.Pock

cant the blender nativly export to .3ds files?
also this is a small model id suggest you lower the sides of those cilinders and screwssince its unneeded also lucky suggested to do the holes with normal maps

[R-MOD]Spec: Actually, I did teamkill him last I remember... -on Rhino being a teamkiller.
=Romagnolo=: Becareful, it is addictive. -on me sig quoting.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
[R-COM]ddeo
Polish Faction Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.Pock View Post
cant the blender nativly export to .3ds files?
also this is a small model id suggest you lower the sides of those cilinders and screwssince its unneeded also lucky suggested to do the holes with normal maps
Ok, thanks for feedback, I'll do that today.

Blender can export to .3ds, but we had problems with flipped normals before, I will look into it again, I can always manually flip normals of the model.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
Doc.Pock

no problems. i help as much as i can with my knoledge

[R-MOD]Spec: Actually, I did teamkill him last I remember... -on Rhino being a teamkiller.
=Romagnolo=: Becareful, it is addictive. -on me sig quoting.

Tags
1974, forces, palladwip, polish, weaponswz