project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
20 Nov 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 11:59 PM   #51
Johncro
Default Re: Decision Canada

Sums up our election.

Durham report probably isn't a highlight in Canada. In retrospec it is because it actually was useful...but on teh otherhand...it was racist. To be honest I feel bad for the attitude towards French Canada. They gave us some good things.
Johncro is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:49 AM   #52
ubermensche

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangedReCon View Post
As far as I know French learning is only mandatory until grade 9 in most of Canada, for public non-immersion schools.

Also, back ontopic I'm greatly pleased at the downfall of the Bloc Qu?b?cois.
Well here in Quebec all non English Canadian residents (Canadian and immigrants) must attend French elementary and secondary schools of they want free education. Or else they have to pay a sh*t load of money. In fact even French private are cheaper then English ones since they are largely subsidized by the provincial government. Fvcking dictators...
ubermensche is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #53
Tannhauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermensche View Post
Fvcking dictators...
If that wasn't done nobody would speak french except a pocket of enthusiasts.
Quebecois french is already anglicized a lot just from the general exposure to the rest of North America. Nothing bad IMO, but it's part of our history and culture, I'd rather keep some relevance to half of my roots (I'm not even fully QC, go figure) than leave it forgotten.

You don't seem to realize the situation from OUR perspective. If it was your nation's language that was withering under the majority of your neighbouring countries, I'm pretty sure you'd at least try to keep a firm hold of it.

And seriously... Dictators?
That was a fully democratic decision.
And you're the ones that want to keep us in the federation.

Go figure.

P.S.

Quote:
They gave us some good things.
Poutine! XD

«Hollywood jackasses who insist on spending seriously huge amounts of money to make films that even my cat won't watch. And he'll happily sit in the bathroom and watch me shit.»
- [R-DEV]Masaq
Tannhauser is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #54
Johncro

Poutine makes me fat. :/

But on the other hand I still find it ironically funny that the communist party runs in our election.
Johncro is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:46 AM   #55
ubermensche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
If that wasn't done nobody would speak french except a pocket of enthusiasts.
Quebecois french is already anglicized a lot just from the general exposure to the rest of North America. Nothing bad IMO, but it's part of our history and culture, I'd rather keep some relevance to half of my roots (I'm not even fully QC, go figure) than leave it forgotten.

You don't seem to realize the situation from OUR perspective. If it was your nation's language that was withering under the majority of your neighbouring countries, I'm pretty sure you'd at least try to keep a firm hold of it.

And seriously... Dictators?
That was a fully democratic decision.
And you're the ones that want to keep us in the federation.

Go figure.

P.S.

Poutine! XD
Ok dictator is the wrong word but I think that Quebec is doing it wrong. Forcing people to study in a language doesn't really make them appreciate it (to be honest with you I always felt that French was forced upon me but even to that I'm chosing to go to a French CEGEP, don't ask...). I think that we should encourage immersion programs way much more. And poutine is THE SH1T XD
Old 05-09-2011, 01:10 AM   #56
Tannhauser

Quote:
Ok dictator is the wrong word but I think that Quebec is doing it wrong. Forcing people to study in a language doesn't really make them appreciate it (to be honest with you I always felt that French was forced upon me but even to that I'm chosing to go to a French CEGEP, don't ask...). I think that we should encourage immersion programs way much more.
Wait, forcing?

Majority of people here speak french, and originally spoke french. It's not forced, we always did speak french here. I don't see how it's so bad to have a sort of 'priority' for french here and we're not forcing Canada&co to learn french altogether, PET wanted that, not us. The fact is, a lot of kids at schools here don't like being forced to learn english either. Some never do in fact.

In Quebec, we speak mainly french THEN english. Get over it, why is it such a taint on your board that we're not perfectly blended anglos?

«Hollywood jackasses who insist on spending seriously huge amounts of money to make films that even my cat won't watch. And he'll happily sit in the bathroom and watch me shit.»
- [R-DEV]Masaq
Old 05-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #57
ubermensche

Quote:
Wait, forcing?

Majority of people here speak french, and originally spoke french. It's not forced, we always did speak french here. I don't see how it's so bad to have a sort of 'priority' for french here and we're not forcing Canada&co to learn french altogether, PET wanted that, not us. The fact is, a lot of kids at schools here don't like being forced to learn english either. Some never do in fact.

In Quebec, we speak mainly french THEN english. Get over it, why is it such a taint on your board that we're not perfectly blended anglos?
I guess I'm what you call a f?d?raliste. I have no doubt that francos don't mind the loi 101 and all that but immigrants and naturalized Canadians like me do. I was always kinda unhappy to have to turn from an english education to a french one.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:02 AM   #58
Tannhauser

Quote:
I guess I'm what you call a f?d?raliste. I have no doubt that francos don't mind the loi 101 and all that but immigrants and naturalized Canadians like me do. I was always kinda unhappy to have to turn from an english education to a french one.
Don't go to a Quebec college then

It's not like there's no other college in Canada.
Plus, why would immigrants mind? A lot of them do not mind and learn french easily. What's the difference anyways?
If we let immigrants here learn in english firstly, they can hardly integrate because not everyone here is bilingual, and second, we'll end up with close to nobody speaking french.

I mean, it's like going to germany, to complain you're forced to learn in german.
If I go to USA, it's part of the deal I speak, work and learn in english.
If I go to China, it's part of the deal I try and speak some chinese.
If I go to Spain, it's obvious I'll speak spanish and study in spanish.

If you go to Quebec...
Oh yeah QC is a part of Canada. OK. But so far Canada is sss-supposedly bilingual... So why is it wrong to learn french in QC? It's pretty much the only place in north america that speaks french. As much as you might dislike it, it's there and has been there since the colonies. Deleting that is killing a bit of valuable history and culture, really sad thing to do.

- [R-DEV]Masaq
Old 05-10-2011, 01:50 AM   #59
echo

What's wrong with the Conservatives in Canada?

Are they making cut backs? (Similar to what would be happening in the UK)
echo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #60
ubermensche

Quote:
Don't go to a Quebec college then

It's not like there's no other college in Canada.
Plus, why would immigrants mind? A lot of them do not mind and learn french easily. What's the difference anyways?
If we let immigrants here learn in english firstly, they can hardly integrate because not everyone here is bilingual, and second, we'll end up with close to nobody speaking french.

I mean, it's like going to germany, to complain you're forced to learn in german.
If I go to USA, it's part of the deal I speak, work and learn in english.
If I go to China, it's part of the deal I try and speak some chinese.
If I go to Spain, it's obvious I'll speak spanish and study in spanish.

If you go to Quebec...
Oh yeah QC is a part of Canada. OK. But so far Canada is sss-supposedly bilingual... So why is it wrong to learn french in QC? It's pretty much the only place in north america that speaks french. As much as you might dislike it, it's there and has been there since the colonies. Deleting that is killing a bit of valuable history and culture, really sad thing to do.
Well I'm prolly gonna end up in Mcgill (I hope but that's another story). Well I always saw Canada as a bilingual country (although the only real bilingual province is New Brunswick) and I think that immigrants to Quebec should be allowed to chose the language they wanna study in (but here again it's cause I see Quebec as a bilingual province).

Tags
canada, decision