Project Reality Forums

Project Reality Forums (http://www.realitymod.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Discussion (http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f11-off-topic-discussion)
-   -   What's the deal with anime fans? (http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f11-off-topic-discussion/94416-whats-deal-anime-fans.html)

Incognito84 02-06-2011 08:26 AM

What's the deal with anime fans?

I have this guy on my Facebook. He's the older brother of a guy I went to High School with and he's in his mid to late 20s.

He's huge into anime. Every single post on his wall is anime this, convention that, cosplay this, J-RPG that.

I'm not really that big into anime myself but a few years ago I went through an anime kick and I watched all the classics (oddly I didn't watch any anime when I actually lived in Japan). I watched a lot of anime movies (Akira, Grave of the Fireflies, Jin-roh, Ghost in the Shell and so on) and I also watched a lot of classic series (Evangelion, Planetes, Cowboy Bebop, Paranoia Agent, GTO, Ghost in the Shell 1st/2nd GiG and quite a few others I can't remember now). So while I'm not an anime fan, per se, I know my way around anime and I know what I like and what I don't like.

What I don't like happens to be any anime that came out after the late 90s. I find that anime lost it's spark somewhere around then (around the same time Disney's "renaissance" ended). While there are still good anime out there, I simply can't be bothered to dig through the heaps and heaps of substance free, over-stylizied and over commercialized garbage to really get into it.

Anyway, the guy updated his Facebook status with: "2010 was the best year for anime to date and I think 2011 will be even better!" I wrote: "actually, I think anime has been seriously going downhill in the past decade or so" and I stated my reasons.

Longest flame war ever. Seriously, after awhile I just gave up on it. It was surpassing 5 pages. I didn't check but the guy had 800+ friends on his Facebook profile and I bet most of them were anime nerds. They jumped on my post and went absolutely nuts. It was me versus all of them.

What it came down to was... despite them being self-proclaimed, cosplay doing, anime consuming, otaku and me having a passing interest in anime (an interest that has very much passed), none of them have watched much anime that is older than the early 2000s and most had never seen any of the anime I mentioned above. According to them, all the anime I like "sucks" because it is old. The new generation of anime is apparently a lot better. They kept telling me that I will be convinced if I watch Bleach/Naruto/Code Gaess and a few others. I googled them all and thought most of them just looked like the Japanese equivalent of children's Saturday morning cartoons. I can't be bothered.

My question is, why do anime fans suck so much? Why do they watch garbage? Seriously, if this group is representative of anime fanboys... then I finally understand why people hate them so much. They don't even know anything about the foundations of their own hobby. I mean, they dress like their favourite characters in public for Christ's sake, and some of them are in their 30s!

I can't even imagine how annoying teenage anime fans must be.

The funny thing is that if you ask Japanese people about anime, they'll tell you that it is very much a dead medium or at least, it's not nearly as good as it used to be.

Am I right in this? Wrong? If there is really "so much good anime" these days, where might I find it?

Sprats 02-06-2011 08:52 AM

Re: What's the deal with anime fans?

I have some indian classmates who watch that anime stuff too. yes its annoying seeing them going to some anime websites then talking about naruto all the time.. and i dont understand whats so cool about it? what can be cool about a guy sticking toilet paper to his forehead and calling in monsters of some sort. i used to watch yo-gi-oh and stuff 4-5 years ago, but now 17-18 year olds watching even more messed up stuff is just crazy..

Desertfox 02-06-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incognito84 (Post 1544066)
Why do they watch garbage?

This is what I think about all anime.

LithiumFox 02-06-2011 09:06 AM

... look at people who are a fan of anything. Insult a nascar fan or f1 fan or a soccer (football) fan or a football (american) fan or a music fan or a apple fan or a technology fan or a plane hobbyiest or a guy who is really into guns.

All of them will defend what they are a fan of.

:/ anime fans just get crap since in most western civilizations its seen as childish.

LithiumFox 02-06-2011 09:08 AM

>> but why rag on anime. They could be obsessing over the jersey shore. Reality tv is shittier.

Rudd 02-06-2011 09:11 AM

I just never understood why anime characters either had tiny eyes or huge eyes, and crazy huge hair.

LithiumFox 02-06-2011 09:25 AM

I just never understood why 1980s "rock" bands had big crazy hair

Rudd 02-06-2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LithiumFox (Post 1544096)

for epic headbanging duh!

Bamtoman 02-06-2011 09:28 AM

If you think the anime fanbase is the worst, take a look at the Sonic, Thomas the train engine, and Barney fanbase :/

AnimalMother. 02-06-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LithiumFox (Post 1544096)

hair cuts didn't fit in well to the sex, drugs and rocknroll scene i guess