project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
02 Sep 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #21
Johncro
Default Re: What's the deal with anime fans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitperson View Post
Thomas the Tank engine RULES!!

or at least thats what i thought when i was 4
Dude it's still awesome. Except for the new animations, it was better in the old days. But still.
Johncro is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #22
rampo

Send a message via MSN to rampo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim270 View Post
I hate Anime with a passion.
Which is why i love you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rampo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #23
Sundance Kid

YouTube Video

Ill just leave this here...

No, i dont watch anime and i dont have anything against people who do. But i did find this song really catchy/weird

And what did you expect people to say about anime in a place like PR forum, lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

U.S bace in mad of 5 enterdil bildings with lap tops and rados in them
Sundance Kid is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #24
Robbi
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Robbi Send a message via Skype™ to Robbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie View Post
Trollfest anyone?

In response to the " why the long hair" comment-long hair means headbanging/awesomeness.

Could have this band:

Been awesome without long hair?
By god, yes. (Name the band and you win a cookie.)

Iron Maiden duh

Hint - change the URL

Robbi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #25
Zrix
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

I've seen some Anime over the shoulder on a few friends laptops and such, and I can honestly say I don't get it.

However I did watch Appleseed, it was pretty good.

Oh, and those animated tacticool killer bunnies.

Last edited by Zrix; 02-06-2011 at 11:56 AM..
Old 02-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #26
Incognito84

Holy crap, I expected to get one or two comments on this thread tops. I come back to three pages.

Anyway, my original point was that I don't dislike anime, I'm just very picky about it and only like anime that is... erm, well you know, GOOD. And there is a lot of good anime. There is even anime that good enough to turn over the most spiteful hater. The thing is, anime fanboys only like the crap anime.

I listed some anime in my OP that aren't classics by anime standards but are classics by the entire world's standards. They're the kind of anime that any film critic could watch and immediately realize how good it is. Any storytelling medium has it's highs and lows. Anime has a lot of highs in it's past, mostly due to the fact that it used to be made by small, underfunded teams with total creative control over their anime.

If you hate anime, I dare you to go watch something like Wings of Honneamise or Grave of the Fireflies, then come back and tell me it's bad. Both are excellent movies. There are many more examples of excellent anime as well.

So it's not that I hate new anime just because it's new, I hate it because it sucks and I hate anime fanboys because they don't know the first thing about it. I also hate them because I think they're perverted shut-ins but that's beside the point. It's like when you meet people who think Nickelback is the best rock band of all time, or people who think professional wrestling is real, or people that say they're really into video games yet they've never tried anything outside the CoD series.

Anime these days is just middle school students with ridculous hair and outfits (whatever is "in" around the time the anime comes out) that go through formulaic "coming of age" passages with fantasy elements or giant robots or some other such nonsense. It really is just the same story over and over again to the point where you can't even tell individual anime apart. Whatever creativity used to be in anime was sucked out of it a long, long time ago.

I just always assumed that anime fanboys were into anime because the anime they watched was good in a way that is inaccessible to avergae people, like Star Trek. Instead I find out that the kind of anime they like is nothing short of geek debauchery.
Last edited by Incognito84; 02-06-2011 at 11:00 AM..
Old 02-06-2011, 11:11 AM   #27
hiberNative

this is why i like anime:

NSFW:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eFzJge-2vU

over the top is fun.
some anime are a nice middle-ground without mechs and up-skirt action, like mushi-shi. i'd recommend that. pretty fairy tale like.

-
hiberNative is online now Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #28
[R-DEV]Adriaan
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

My overall attitude towards it is: meh. Not interested in it, though from what I hear from some people some of the more classical series (like Incognito mentioned) are pretty good.

Anime fanboys/girls usually seem very passionate about it, dressing up for conventions and everyday occasions alike. I suppose when you compare it to other large fan groups they're probably not more zealous than any of those though, they just show it in different (more obvious) ways.

[R-DEV]Adriaan is online now Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #29
Claymore
Banned

While the production of an epic film takes a lot of money and success is not always guaranteed, production of an anime film or series costs considerably less and it allows the creators to ignore focus on the masses in order to maximize their profits. I am not trying to say that anime films have better or more intelligent stories than an average hollywood production but that the option is there. You need to forget Naruto and similar things.

Ghost in the Shell series has one of the best stories I have ever seen YouTube - Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence HD

Claymore is a very good fantasy YouTube - [CLAYMORE] "Official Movie" Trailer High Quality Clare and Teresa

If for nothing else, some anime is valuable just for the spectacular visual and sound art.
YouTube - Karas Trailer
YouTube - Sky Crawlers Trailer - Sky Crawlers Movie Trailer
Claymore is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #30
Pantera

Call it what you want, your still a 20+ year old watching cartoons

Pantera is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
anime, deal, fans