project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
23 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 04:58 AM   #11
Qaiex

Default Re: Friendly Safety Announcement - Eye Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeggie View Post
Contrary to popular belief, pirates eye patches had nothing to do with any kind of eye damage.
Yes, it was so they wouldn't get blinded by the light going from below deck to above, and when they went back below deck they wouldn't need the time to adjust their eyes to the darkness.
Or something like that.

If you only have one eye, you lose your depth perception. And then when everyone is raving about Avatar 2, you'll be sad in a corner because you can't see 3D.
Eyepatches are cool, but not that cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Qaiex is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:00 AM   #12
cyberzomby

A friend of mine got hit in the face and had a chipped tooth as a result. Always keep your mouth closed when checking corners
cyberzomby is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:16 AM   #13
supahpingi

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]ReadMenace View Post
He's carrying on my proud tradition.
-REad
Is puberty a tradition now ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
supahpingi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:35 AM   #14
[R-DEV]Spec
Lead Forum Moderator

This should be very obvious. It should also be obvious not to shoot at point blank when there's another option (the corner is a difficult situation, hardly avoidable, so there it doesn't apply as strictly). But if you get close to someone who isn't aware of your presence or is looking another direction, it should be common courtesy just to tell him that you got him instead of shooting; you wouldn't have missed anyway and can avoid injuries due to close range shots. As for corners, try to keep a little distance or stop and listen before you cross. No point in losing teeth or even eyes for a game.

Thanks to [R-MOD]IINoddyII for the signature! || If you need help or have a question, feel free to contact me via
Old 01-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #15
Burton

Send a message via Skype™ to Burton

Same goes for ear defenders at gigs if you're towards the front.

At so many of the gigs I shoot these days there's kids of 13-17 right at the front literally inches from the monitors. In some cases these are 15 feet arrays designed to project sound over hundreds of meters. And they are all completely oblivious to the irreversible damage they are doing to their ears.

I wear shooters putty in my ears when I work because I don't need to hear the music in any major detail - but for music lovers there are several different types of ear defender or plug on the market which simply cut the noise level down without losing any clarity or range.

I've even on occasion handed out the 10 or so sets of spare rubber/latex plugs I carry in my gear bag at festivals to the youngest people at the front.
Burton is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #16
Mj Pain
Supporting Member

Also wear helmet when tackling guys through windows
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/w...g?t=1294586704

"Playing PR - Better drink my own piss." Ploddit
Mj Pain is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:40 AM   #17
Oskar

Send a message via MSN to Oskar

What Burton is saying is a huge concern for me too. A couple of months back, I got so bad tinnitus (ears ringing) I didn't know what to do with myself, I was really depressed - luckily it passed after about two months, but it could just as well had stayed forever.
Thing is, I was very careful about exposing myself to loud music or noises - I always have earplugs with me. All that it took was about a minute of playing drums on stage without them, and my ears rang really badly for weeks.
Tinnitus is just as bad for everyone, but especially if you are a musician or music lover like myself, I can't even imagine what it would be like to live with those noises all the time.

Be careful with your ears. Custom ear defenders aren't that expensive, especially when you consider what can happen without them. There is no excuse not to wear earplugs whenever you expose yourself to loud noises or music.

Xfire: wrestlersesf
Oskar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #18
AquaticPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeggie View Post
Contrary to popular belief, pirates eye patches had nothing to do with any kind of eye damage.
I thought the reason was because of them blinding themselves when looking through the telescope at the sun.
AquaticPenguin is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #19
Johncro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaticPenguin View Post
I thought the reason was because of them blinding themselves when looking through the telescope at the sun.
No, apparently it was some sort of Night Vision where the patch would cover your one eye and it would get used to teh dark, so in the dark they would take the patch off any be able to see.

Mythbusters, look it up.
Johncro is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #20
Hitperson
Retired Tournament Lead

i'm sorry but, DUH.

this is common sense.

Harrod200:"Fire.exe has committed an illegal operation and has been shut down"
Raniak : "Warning: May crash if fired upon."
M4sherman: "like peter pan but with tanks"
[R-MOD]Eddiereyes909 (on sim tower) "It truly was the game of my childhood and has led to me getting my degree in industrial engineering."
Hitperson is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
announcement, eye, friendly, protection, safety