project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
21 Feb 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 12:16 AM   #241
Qaiex

Default Re: Mass Effect 3 (PC/Console Game)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karambaitos View Post
Really qadis long cut scenes? REALLY how are you suppose to convey a story through gameplay?

and the interactive movie feeling doesnt come from the cutscenes (one example MGS)
it comes from linear gameplay (one example COD)

also on insanity the second mission wasnt that easy, if you did one mistake you were basically dead
Shadow of the Colossus did a pretty great job of conveying story through gameplay. As did ICO.
But then again those games are on a whole different level compared to Mass Effect.

Qaiex is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:12 AM   #242
Qadis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainlaag View Post
Mass Effect was always about the story and cutscenes help the narration, remember ME1's ending battle, that was almost a 5 min cutscene. Also intro mission? HELLO!
Lol yea that was dumb, what was I thinking ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainlaag View Post
They said they have removed dialogue options for the demo to prevent spoilers and too much information on the story prior to release.
Cool, hope the game doesn't lack in dialogue.

Quote:
Really qadis long cut scenes? REALLY how are you suppose to convey a story through gameplay?
Conveying it through dialogue is my favorite way. I don't mind cutscenes at all, as long as they don't take a large part of the game. Although, Mafia is a great game and it was centered around cutscenes.

Spoiler for Cutscene:
I actually liked that scene where Shepard looks down upon that kid entering the ship that is to be destroyed soon after

Quote:
and the interactive movie feeling doesnt come from the cutscenes (one example MGS)
it comes from linear gameplay (one example COD)
No, it's 2 separate things. Old FPS games like Doom were the most linear games but weren't interactive movies. It comes down to how long you spend watching cutscenes or semi cutscenes and how long you spend having 'complete' control.

Quote:
also on insanity the second mission wasnt that easy, if you did one mistake you were basically dead
Spoiler for ME3:
With the mech boss at the end ? Didn't find it to be much of a problem. Do all classes get a fast regenerating shield ? Cause that shit is lulzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Spush View Post
Just went on a Mass Effect marathon, still one of the best story lines out there, especially for a video game. Excited for the 3rd one, and Qadis, obviously you haven't played the previous games if you say there's too many cut scenes....
I did, but I was only commenting on the demo, where you end up watching more than playing, which is normal considering the nature of the demo. Obviously in the full game you get to fight and talk alot more and you get a smaller share of cutscenes overall.

ME's storyline is a bit overrated. Maybe it's cause I don't like the whole saviour of the galaxy theme as much. Take Mafia or Deus Ex, for example. Way better stories.
Last edited by Qadis; 02-23-2012 at 01:19 AM..
Old 02-23-2012, 07:18 AM   #243
Spush
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadis View Post
ME's storyline is a bit overrated. Maybe it's cause I don't like the whole saviour of the galaxy theme as much. Take Mafia or Deus Ex, for example. Way better stories.
I'm not really talking about just Shepard's story, but I'm talking about the universe of Mass Effect. There's just so much back story that makes the game way more interesting than most.
Spush is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:55 AM   #244
MaxBooZe
PR Server License Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to MaxBooZe

Quote:
I'm not really talking about just Shepard's story, but I'm talking about the universe of Mass Effect. There's just so much back story that makes the game way more interesting than most.
+ how those little pieces of backstory and the quests related to them influence your experience in the following part of the game (i.e. Rachni).

MaxBooZe is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #245
jerkzilla

Quote:
It's also consistent, not just a ton of random stuff thrown together.

Also, about the interactive movie bit, Doom doesn't really count as such because the story isn't really that present in the level. There's no clear line but it's essentially a gameplay driven game. CoD on the other hand, comes with very few new or complex mechanics and focuses a lot on events scripted to be spectacular while also driving the story forward.

This signature is here due to lack of imagination.
jerkzilla is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #246
Qadis

Quote:
Ah, I see. Speaking of that, Planescape: Torment has one of the best stories and backstories/lore. Game is hella old but worth playing if you get your hands on it.
Qadis is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #247
Steeps
Supporting Member

Do any of you actually like the Mattock? It does horribly little damage for how much ammo it carries.

The Carnifex on the other hand, OH MAN that thing is amazing for an Adept! 185% power recharge time!

Steeps is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #248
Rissien
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Rissien Send a message via Skype™ to Rissien

Only used it a little in 3, doesn't seem as good as it was in 2.

MA3-USN Former

クラナド ァフターストーリー
Rissien is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #249
youm0nt

I have the Mattock X and I've gotten the Hornet SMG; I haven't used either of them yet. The Phalanx pistol is great especially with the scope. I still haven't gotten the Revenant yet. I heard it's great with the Turian sentinel.

(o,o)
|)__)

-"-"-
O RLY?
youm0nt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #250
karambaitos

Send a message via MSN to karambaitos Send a message via Skype™ to karambaitos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeps5 View Post
Do any of you actually like the Mattock? It does horribly little damage for how much ammo it carries.

The Carnifex on the other hand, OH MAN that thing is amazing for an Adept! 185% power recharge time!
well i the mattock becomes good with teh upgrades, also you have to aim for the head

There is only one unforgivable lie That is the lie that says, This is the end, you are the conqueror, you have achieved it and now all that remains is to build walls higher and shelter behind them. Now, the lie says, the world is safe.? The Great Khan.

40k is deep like that.
karambaitos is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
effect, game, mass, pc or console