project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
17 Apr 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 09:33 AM   #11
Trexian

Default Re: Proof of stereotyp thinking about skin color in us

Not to get too far off topic, but there is an overwhelming common denominator when it comes to prison population: socio-economic class. The poor of any race are FAR more likely to be imprisoned than the well-off, or certainly the rich. Race is much less a factor. Plus, in poor areas, there's little or no stigma attached to being arrested or incarcerated. Again, that's not a question of race.

History may explain part of why many blacks are poor, but that doesn't mean The System is racist. Maybe classist.

I think the real point of that series is that most people wouldn't stop and do anything for anyone.

Kitty Genovese.

------<S>-------
Sic semper Tyrannosauro.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Trexian is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #12
ma21212
Supporting Member

Ive been to the city where I live so many times over the years, Ive never been stoped by a cop, my black friend tells me hes been stoped at least 4 times for nothing.
and heres this
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/13/nyregion/13frisk.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ma21212 is online now Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:53 AM   #13
lucidrians

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-MOD]BloodBane611 View Post

See this? This is racism.
No it isn't.

http://www.prisonpolicy.org/graphs/raceinc.html

If you think that it's due to "slight racism" you're an idiot, if races can vary by average height/average iq they can certainly vary by violence.
lucidrians is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:00 AM   #14
BloodBane611
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCandy View Post
No it isn't.

U.S. incarceration rates by race | Prison Policy Initiative

If you think that it's due to "slight racism" you're an idiot, if races can vary by average height/average iq they can certainly vary by violence.
Saying that all blacks are more likely to be criminals simply because blacks have a higher incidence of incarceration is pure racism.

Definition of racism:
Quote:
racial prejudice or discrimination
Perhaps it is the policies of the United States that lead more blacks to be in prison, and not their "criminal nature"? The fact that crack had higher mandatory minimum sentences than cocaine for decades in the US, and it just so happened that crack was popular with blacks and low income drug users, while cocaine was more used by whites, especially upper class whites?

Source:Race and the Drug War
Quote:
The best-known example of the inequality in sentencing is the disparity between crack cocaine and powder cocaine sentences. Crack and powder cocaine have the same active ingredient, but crack is marketed in less expensive quantities and in lower income communities of color. A five gram sale of crack cocaine receives a five-year federal mandatory minimum sentence, while an offender must sell 500 grams of powder cocaine to get the same sentence. In 1986, before the enactment of federal mandatory minimum sentencing for crack cocaine offenses, the average federal drug sentence for African Americans was 11 percent higher than for whites. Four years later, the average federal drug sentence for African Americans was 49 percent higher.
Mandatory minimums are but one example of US drug laws that have, for a variety of reasons, primarily targeted blacks and favored whites. Anyone who lives in a major US city knows that its fairly safe to be a white man walking around, but that black men of the same age are regularly stopped. It's the same everywhere, be it NYC (as the article ma21212 pointed to shows) or Philly (as my white friends living there regularly confirm), or LA (which has a particularly troubled history of race relations).

[R-CON]creepin - "because on the internet 0=1"

BloodBane611 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #15
Trexian

Wait - so it is The System's fault that crack (which is more addictive than powder cocaine, thus the increased punishment) is "more popular" among one race or another?

And, a white dude in a black neighborhood is just as suspicious as the other way around. Ask an inner-city cop. In that situation, they usually figure it is a suburban kid looking for drugs or prostitutes.

Not saying there isn't racism in the world, or in the US. But labeling stuff that isn't racist as racist dilutes seriousness of it. IMHO.

------<S>-------
Sic semper Tyrannosauro.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #16
Heskey
PR Server License Moderator

So long as stereotyping doesn't go into the realms of racism, I don't think it's a bad thing; it's not an expression of fiction to say that a group of lads drinking on the street at night pose a bigger potential thread (personal, criminal, or plain intimidation) than a woman walking her child home from a karate class.

If I didn't think "...Why's he got his hood up whilst going up and down people's drive ways?" when passing people, I'd not stop nearly half the people I do now and find out if they have a legitimate reason to be doing what they're doing.

I was patrolling past a friend's house, which is quite set-back from the mainroad and behind trees, some months ago when I noticed someone with a hood up peering into his windows. I went up the drive and asked him what he was doing - It transpired he was a leaflet distributor for a local take-away that had just opened and he was seeing if anyone was in to tell them about their opening and hand them a leaflet in person.

For all I know, he could have been a burglar checking if anyone was in to stop them doing their dastardly deed; and had I not stereotyped someone having their hood up in daylight as being someone who didn't want their face to be seen, I'd not have stopped that person had they been a burglar.

Anyway, sods law is this mate's house got burgled the other night whilst he was out watching a local football game, and I was policing it! D'oh!

-------------

I've just seen the video, and whilst yes it's a very interesting experiment, and stereotyping is clearly involved; I can understand why.

I don't think people see a white person stealing a bike and think "He's lost his key", and see a black person stealing a bike and think "CALL THE COPS" just because he's black; but because of their experience of people of that age/appearance/skin colour.

I live in an area where the local population of 0.3% mixed far-east asian is higher than that of black people; to see a black person around here is very, very rare; and so to me I know full-well I stereotype other white males of similar age to me based on their appearance, posture, stance etc... But I can understand why in somewhere like America where corner-gang culture is prevailant in some places, and the majority of these gangs are forming membership from ethnic minorities, that people (even people of their own ethnicity) would regard someone of non-white skin with greater suspicion that those with white skin.

There's something to be said for not presuming things based on skin-colour alone; but I also feel there's much more to be said if people were to avoid asking questions for fear of being branded a racist.

At the end of the day you'll do what you have to do - So long as you're not specifically targetting someone because of their colour, but there's something about them that makes you suspicious/question their intentions; then I don't think it's out of order to ask them. Nothing to hide, nothing to fear. If anything, I think it's a good mark of a person if they were to confront something they regarded as suspicious.

Besides, the amount of people I've frisked who tell me "What you doing this for mate I ain't done/got nuffin", to find a screwdriver shoved down their pants just makes me more likely to ignore someone I regard as suspicious telling me the same thing, to find out they were telling the truth. The lies of the guilty dilute the pleas of the innocent; but that said as I said before, if you haven't got anything to hide, and you're not just being stopped 'because', then what's the issue?

(Signature by
)
Last edited by Heskey; 10-01-2010 at 11:56 AM..
Old 10-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #17
[R-MOD]Dunehunter
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to [R-MOD]Dunehunter

That's looking for suspicious behaviour, which does not have to be linked to ethnicity.

[R-MOD]Jigsaw] I am drunk. I decided to come home early because I can''t realy seea nyithng. I hthknk i madea bad choicce.
[R-MOD]Dunehunter is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #18
Elektro

YouTube Video

Elektro is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:03 PM   #19
Heskey
PR Server License Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Dunehunter View Post
That's looking for suspicious behaviour, which does not have to be linked to ethnicity.
I guess you're right.

I was going to give another example about asian males in 2 cars parked up in a car-park talking to one another out of their car windows, and saying I'd be liable to see what they're up to to check they're not dealing drugs, and stating that this could be construed as racist-suspicion based on their skincolour...

...But then I thought I do the exact same thing to the same situation involving white males in a different part of my area, in which case your quote applies once again regardless of ethnicity.

Everyone's bloody dodgy, let's look at it that way

(Signature by
)
Heskey is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #20
Trexian

hehe

I have family that are police officers, and I've worked closely with police officers over the years. The good ones are suspicious of everyone. A familiar comment is, "They're all guilty of something, you just gotta figure out what." The lazy ones (IMHO) use race as a significant factor.

And Heskey - on behalf of the law-abiding citizenry in your area - thanks for your public service.

------<S>-------
Sic semper Tyrannosauro.

Tags
color, proof, skin, stereotyp, thinking