project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
23 Dec 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
NuclearBanane
Question [Opinions] Novint falcon CHI: Whats is the future?

hey guys
After seeing the great response from the last opinion question
witch i tried FH2 and it was pretty fun, really Nilla style but a fun experience non the less.

Now I've recently been looking more at Tracker IR systems and Novint Falcon game controllers as well as mouses, gaming keyboards and Joysticks.

So here are some questions Devided up into parts

[Novint Falcon]
For owners
1. Is the falcon worth 200USD.
2. Is it a huge leap form the mouse and the old joysticks?
3. How is it in PR: Inf, vehicles and flying
4. Is the game support fast and new games added quickly or is it a long wait?

Any one

1. Do you think of the future Novint falcon
2. Is this just a prototype of the new tec to come
like this link
3. If not for the 200 USD price tag those this look worth a purchase>?

[Tracker IR] Could also include option on the wed cam hacks to make a cheap one

For owners

1. Is it worth my money?
2. worth not having to conform to looking straight forward?
3. Is it worth having in simple un supported games like source, for extra controls?{ Cause it's an input }
4. Games made to allow integration like Arma2 ( Do not debate arma2 ) or lock on worth the extra advantage
5. Games? much support or much uses?

Any one

1. Will this catch on or be another Nortel product*1?
2. Would you get Tracker IR if you could use it in PR for flying ETC?

[Joysticks]

1. What is the best, button to quality ratio joystick out there ? ( Yeah i need all the bells and whistles on my joystick)
2. Features to look for.
3. Precision, What is the best one you know about ?

4. what do you use if you have a joystick?

[Mouses n keyboards]
I'm sketchy with buying a new mouse but i want more buttons!
So
1. What is a average DPI that is worthy for gaming but isn't insane like 2000?
2. What do you use?

3. Is it worth buying Gaming keyboards? Like the G15?

[ CHI ]

next 5 to 10 years
1. What will change?
2. What will stay?

So i know there is alot there but i'm really looking into this area.
Since my computer is more the competent and 3D vision is ridiculous.
I wanna change my CHI
Don't need to answer all of it just answer somme

Oh yeah and for the devs

Will you guys plan for any implementation of these CHI's systems and inputs into you're games, more or less PR2 but any dev.

-------------
1. Nortel was a Ottawa based company that went back rupt because the market wasn't quite ready for there product nether where they selling it directly to consumers.
They where offering portable video communications.
NuclearBanane is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
[R-DEV]Bob_Marley
PR:BF2 Developer

Default Re: [Opinions] Novint falcon CHI: Whats is the future?

Quote:
[Novint Falcon]
For owners
1. Is the falcon worth 200USD.
2. Is it a huge leap form the mouse and the old joysticks?
3. How is it in PR: Inf, vehicles and flying
4. Is the game support fast and new games added quickly or is it a long wait?
1. Yes. Its very well made and adds alot to your gaming experience (I didn't pay anywhere near full price for mine though, owing to the Christmas sale and a refural code)

2. Yes. once you get used to it you're just as good as with a mouse (The problem being it takes quite a while to get over the muscle memory of years of using a mouse for gaming) but with the added feeling that the haptics technology gives you. The feedback is much, much more detailed than any other force feedback system I've used before (either on a joystick or steering wheel). It allows you to enguage with the game much better than a normal mouse. The only thing I'd change about it would be to have an integrated scroll wheel and 5 buttons instead of three, but thats just because I'm used to a 5 button mouse.

3. Its as good as a mouse in control terms with the advantages listed in point #2. However, I do not fly in PR.

4. Game support has been a bit steady in coming, but with the F-Gen drivers coming in Q1 2010 that should no longer be a problem as the faclon will then have support for all games on the PC to tide you over until specific, more advanced drivers become available for individual games.

Quote:
1. Do you think of the future Novint falcon
2. Is this just a prototype of the new tec to come
like this link
3. If not for the 200 USD price tag those this look worth a purchase>?
1. I think its the next big step in PC gaming. Once one is used to it you're not disadvantaged against a mouse user and it gives you so much more. The only issue is the high price point, but I do see this sort of control system becoming more common in the next few years.

2. No, I don't think it is. Those are motion controls without feedback. The Falcon is all about the feedback (well, not all about as it does have full depth control as well) where as that system does not. As I have said previously motion controls without feedback are useless, imo. I very much doubt that any motion control system with a haptics system in any way comparible with the Falcon will appear in the coming decade.

3. I probably wouldn't have bought it full price (because living in the UK I had to pay a substantial amount for shipping and then taxes and customs fees, but it came out below what a US resident would have paid, but not by a great deal) but without those issues (ie for those of you in North America) I'd say its well worth it.

As for joysticks, I used a Saitek X52, which is pretty good IMO (mind you I'm not a super serious flight simmer, I mainly use mine for Mechwarrior and some IL2). High quality stick, lots of buttons, 3 different button groupings (so you effectivly have 3 times more buttons than you actually have) as well as an MFD and built in mouse. Wasn't very good for playing Street Fighter though.

The key to modernising any weapon is covering them in glue and tossing them in a barrel of M1913 rails until they look "Modern" enough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Many thanks to [R-DEV]Adriaan for the sig!
[R-DEV]Bob_Marley is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
HeXeY

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearBanane View Post
hey guys
1. Will this catch on or be another Nortel product*1? I doubt it'll be something everyone will have, it'll mostly be for those playing simulation games which actually supports TrackIR
2. Would you get Tracker IR if you could use it in PR for flying ETC? I'd get it if I had the money

4. what do you use if you have a joystick? Logitech Attack 3, or my Xbox 360 wired controller

[Mouses n keyboards]
1. What is a average DPI that is worthy for gaming but isn't insane like 2000? Avarage DPI for a gaming mouse is higher than 2000 I believe, 3200 is not unusual, and I believe to have seen one have as high as 5000 as well
2. What do you use? Logitech G5, upgrading to Logitech G500 if my G5 dies

3. Is it worth buying Gaming keyboards? Like the G15? It depends what you need the keyboard for, just surfing the web wouldn't make it worth it, but if you like to keep track of things on the small LCD screen and have loads of macro buttons + backlit keyboard, it'd be worth it
Tralalala, 7 letters (Answers in red btw ^^)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HeXeY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
NuclearBanane

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-MOD]Bob_Marley View Post
read his post
Cool well i'm definitely looking into buying one then
yeah i know you can pay only 159 for it if you put in offer20
Old 01-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
NuclearBanane

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeXeY View Post
Tralalala, 7 letters (Answers in red btw ^^)
Tracker IR does not work for PR because of bf2 and if you did get bf2 to read the input without editing the exe the chopper would crash because it freeze the controls when using the look around cock pit feature

i would buy tracker IR but i don't have games that support it other then Arma2 demo
i hope devs, AAA devs that is take a new look at pc and start using the these new techs intead of going to the consoles

but that will never happen
Old 01-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #6
[R-DEV]Bob_Marley
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearBanane View Post
Cool well i'm definitely looking into buying one then
yeah i know you can pay only 159 for it if you put in offer20
Heh, I paid less than $100, before S&H & import duty.

The key to modernising any weapon is covering them in glue and tossing them in a barrel of M1913 rails until they look "Modern" enough.

Many thanks to [R-DEV]Adriaan for the sig!
[R-DEV]Bob_Marley is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
VoXiNaTiOn

Have used one and enjoyed the experience, however didn't have enough time to get used to it although it was great fun to use and I can see that if you were to play constantly with it, you would be as good as a KBM player, it's like re-learning something.

If you do get one, you may want to get something as an arm rest, your arm can ache after a while! lol

Btw for a referral code use "atkfalcon" (Without the quotes) to get 20% off (Apologies if this breaks any forum rules, but hey, got to promote stuff when being sponsored lol )

VoXiNaTiOn is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
chi, falcon, future, novint, opinions