project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
23 Dec 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2006, 01:21 PM   #1
trogdor1289

Send a message via MSN to trogdor1289
Default Now this is scary.

"According to a news story on Yahoo! News, the U.S. Government has spent US$30 million in the last year on buying citizens' personal phone records from online brokers...The very ones who Congress is trying to put out of business." From the Article:"Congressional investigators estimated the U.S. government spent $30 million last year buying personal data from private brokers. But that number likely understates the breadth of transactions, since brokers said they rarely charge law enforcement agencies any price." "So...who is getting all of BellSouth, SBC(AT&T) and other phone records?"
http://slashdot.org/
trogdor1289 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:34 PM   #2
superdj

Send a message via MSN to superdj Send a message via Yahoo to superdj

that is scary
superdj is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:46 PM   #3
trogdor1289

Espically the part where they say "Congressional investigators estimated the U.S. government spent $30 million last year buying personal data from private brokers. But that number likely understates the breadth of transactions, since brokers said they rarely charge law enforcement agencies any price." That part scares the piss out of me quite frankly.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:48 PM   #4
SiN|ScarFace

The land of the free my fucking ass. But hey im just one of them crazy people....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SiN|ScarFace is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:50 PM   #5
trogdor1289

I know this will be jumped on but since George took office I don't feel safe anymore.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:03 PM   #6
Figisaacnewton

Lol I love you paranoid tin foil hat guys... you make my day light up!

Anyways, I'm gonna read the whole document/report first.

Okay, read the story. It basically says that instead of police and federal agencies going through the long subpoena process to acquire information, some of these agencies and police orginizations around the US pay private data gathering brokers to get the information faster.

Some suspect that some laws are being broken by some, while others acknowledge that some of thier own activities are illegal, and some maintain that no laws were broken in thier data gathering. The FBI says it only uses Data Brokers that strictly uphold all laws.

I'm gonna say that if its illegal/extra-legal, it shouldnt be done. If it is 100% legal, then I'm fine with it.

The goverment should (and does) have the right to go through a (hopefully streamlined) process where it can acquire information about someone who it suspects has commited/ is planning to commit a crime. If someone can find solid evidence of abuse of this system, like making up a fake reason, and then getting info on your ex or something, then I would be opposed to that.

This doesn't scare me. Why are you guys scared. Have something to hide? (lol j/k)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Figisaacnewton is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:25 PM   #7
trogdor1289

Have you ever read 1984, this doesn't scare what scares me is people are letting it happen.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:28 PM   #8
SiN|ScarFace

Will be worse than 84.

SiN|ScarFace is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:37 PM   #9
Figisaacnewton

No I haven't read 1984, or even heard of it. Lemme guess: Government creates big brother like data informational tap, they know everything, etc?

Figisaacnewton is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:41 PM   #10
Pence
Banned

"Land of the Free" my trunchen!

Of all the 'Fredom' crap that keeps being pumped from America i think its a bit hypocritical.
Edit:
Quote:
This doesn't scare me. Why are you guys scared. Have something to hide? (lol j/k)
Why joke?
We all have somethink to hide, we all have done somethink that could have put us into prison or is very hard to understand why we have done it.

I could name five things that i have done that is ilegal in this country.

One thing i hate about Britain is all the bitching and media following every footstep of everythink, EVERYONE thinks the worst of everyone and i can see why Sven Goran Ericsson wants to leave, he cant even have an affair without the whole world knowing.
Last edited by Pence; 06-20-2006 at 02:48 PM..

Tags
scary