project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
24 Apr 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 10:57 PM   #61
Ghost Wolfe

Default Re: Review and Recommend a book (ANY book)

I know this is only about a 5-6 day bump, but I've been searching for books to buy with some gift cards and I found this thread.

I 2nd the Fahrenheit 451...awesome story line and a scary depiction of the future. Awesome read for anyone who likes alternate history books.

Not sure if its been said, but the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series are great books. Funny (if you can understand British humor), scifi, and full of memorable quotes. 9/10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ghost Wolfe is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:44 PM   #62
goguapsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot View Post

I have only read sections, however I've just ordered it and from the introducing paragraphs, a fascinating read. From Socrates to the Berlin Wall, this book really appeals to me, and if you are a historian who enjoys counter-factuals, I strongly advise reading this book. Even if you are just interested in War in general, this is a great read, and can be read literally chapter at at time, as they are all completely separate.
Is this about, for example, "what if Hitler hadn't invaded Russia"?

If so, that must be a very great read...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Wolfe View Post
(if you can understand British humor)
Like, dark jokes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]DankE_SPB View Post
War and Peace by Lev Tolstoy, will keep you busy for a while
Is that really a good book? I've heard great things, but do you think it is very important to read this?

I've read a small version for school (like, 100 or so pages), and I disliked it. TOO much focus on family history rather than how the families influenced in the war, and how the war influenced them and everything.

Is the big book good?

Guys, when a new player comes, just answer his question and go on your merry way, instead of going berserk! It's THAT simple!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[/CENTER]
goguapsy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:15 AM   #63
ankyle62

Amazon.com: Chickenhawk (978014303571: Robert Mason: Books

For those of you into military rotary wing aviation, great read.

Amazon's discription "More than half a million copies of Chickenhawk have been sold since it was first published in 1983. Now with a new afterword by the author and photographs taken by him during the conflict, this straight-from-the-shoulder account tells the electrifying truth about the helicopter war in Vietnam. This is Robert Mason’s astounding personal story of men at war. A veteran of more than one thousand combat missions, Mason gives staggering descriptions that cut to the heart of the combat experience: the fear and belligerence, the quiet insights and raging madness, the lasting friendships and sudden death—the extreme emotions of a "chickenhawk" in constant danger. "
ankyle62 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:24 AM   #64
Tirak

Quote:
Originally Posted by goguapsy View Post
Is this about, for example, "what if Hitler hadn't invaded Russia"?

If so, that must be a very great read...

Like, dark jokes?

Is that really a good book? I've heard great things, but do you think it is very important to read this?

I've read a small version for school (like, 100 or so pages), and I disliked it. TOO much focus on family history rather than how the families influenced in the war, and how the war influenced them and everything.

Is the big book good?
War and Peace isn't worth reading. No wait, I take that back, it's worth reading exactly once so you can throw it back in someones face if they use it as an insult or to sound smug and superior.

The Unincorporated Man - Decent enough book, though nothing earth shattering or spectacular, good for a nice relaxing read. Though it does have a fairly creepy concept and gets better as things start spiraling out of control. It can be a little preachy at times, but hey, what book isn't.

Off Armageddon Reef - I warn you now, this is not an amazing Sci Fi epic like we're used to from Weber. While the concept is sci fi, the time period is just the start of the Gunpowder era. As expected an in depth world with complex relationships and bad guys who 99% of the time aren't really bad just different, it really is easy to get lost in this book.

Don't however. While the first book is good, Weber drops the ball hard, and here's why: The Good Guys win too much. That may not seem like an issue, but you know it's gotten bad when you're cheering for the bad guys more simply to kick over the Good Guys massive moral superiority (It's a Weber book, so it isn't as black and white as most). Honestly, I love the world, the characters are generally all around likable, but dear god the Good Guys are invincible, and that takes any real interest out of the budding world war.

Tirak is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #65
Pariel

Finished reading Nate Ficks One Bullet Away earlier this week. Absolutely great book. Probably the best book by a Marine that I've ever read.
Pariel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #66
goguapsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirak View Post
War and Peace isn't worth reading. No wait, I take that back, it's worth reading exactly once so you can throw it back in someones face if they use it as an insult or to sound smug and superior.
Despiste the "feeling superior" thing, why is it not worth reading?

Guys, when a new player comes, just answer his question and go on your merry way, instead of going berserk! It's THAT simple!

[/CENTER]
goguapsy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:31 PM   #67
[R-DEV]Rudd
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Forgotten Voices of the Falklands

another superb collection of organised quotes from all concerned parties.

I've only ever really known the basic layout of the war, its causes, its stories and its conclusion. This book taught me a great deal, and was rather emotive.

The feelings and ideas expressed by many of the people in the book have actually made me re-evaluate my opinions on both the Falklands, and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan today; particularly the Argentinian's belief that they are there to help the Islanders - which I think its reminiscent of the UK/other's intention to help the people's of Iraq and Afghanistan as both offers of help are to some degree...against the locals will.

“Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.” -Edmund Burke

the architect of this book, McManners was also a witness, and is quoted in the book but he maintains a very objective view apart from is own quotations where he offers his own perspective.

The Argentinian's quotes were of particular interest to me, as the disparity of intentions, lack of cohesiveness, general good intentions amongst officers (but not necessarily some of the men shown by some of their acts) and unshakable belief that they should possess the Malvinas were very well expressed.

The book also gets across the sadness of the war, some describing it as totally unnecessary but inevitable. The crews of British warships that had trained or interacted with their Argentinian counterparts had particular sadness and worry of facing their friends in battle. The terrible waste by some mistakes by the commanding officers. Brigadier Thompson's remarks are particularly interesting on land, he gives the impression of an unshackable professionalism, and the same goes for the Ship captains. Both the Argentine and British navys are very well complimented by their coolness underfire, even when their worlds are litterly burning and sinking around them.

IMO Admiral Woodward should have been brought up on charges, the accounts from HMS invincible and accounts from land based or amphibious forces regarding the 'South African' Navy give you a million reasons why Woodward committed what I would describe as criminal negligence.

Some of the cock ups are hilarious, others are tragic and the innovation of each force in using what they had to hand to achieve objectives was inspiring.

But the local's are the heros as well, to weather the storms of peace, and the bullets of war.

If you want to understand the Falklands War, I think this book is an excellent place to start.

I recommend the entire Forgotten Voices series, though this is the first of the series I've read that still has access to a large number of living witnesses.

RIP to those from all sides that fell, and may peace reign in the Falklands forevermore.

Very busy IRL at this time, do not be suprised if I don't reply to PMs for prolonged periods.
[R-DEV]Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:09 AM   #68
Pantera

Could you guys recommend me some GOOD zombie books? (and dont say the zombie survival guide i didnt like that very much)

Preferably something with a good story, has to be tense!

Pantera is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:24 AM   #69
dtacs
Supporting Member

Read World War Z? If so, there is nothing else worth reading IMO.
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:45 AM   #70
foxtwofive
Supporting Member

In "Hidden Truth ? Forbidden Knowledge" Dr. Greer provides his own personal disclosure based on years of high-level meetings with over 450 military and government-connected insiders and whistle-blowers and briefings with senior government officials, such as former CIA Director R. James Woolsey, members of the US Senate and senior UN officials.

In addition to these disclosures, "Hidden Truth ? Forbidden Knowledge" unveils the actual contact experiences Dr. Greer has had with UFOs and Extraterrestrial Civilizations, beginning as a young child. In one of the most amazing and moving personal stories ever shared, he explains how after a prolonged near-death experience at age 17, he experienced cosmic consciousness and found the Rosetta Stone of ET contact: the power of the unbounded mind within each of us. Later this led to numerous Close Encounters of the 5th Kind: contact with ETs initiated by Dr. Greer and later by larger groups of people through the CSETI (Center for the Study of Extraterrestrial Intelligence) project.

Great book just finished reading it.

Playing BF2 PR Since 0.4
*CONIURATIONE FACTA*
"This is the calm before the storm, Armageddon dawn."

foxtwofive is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
book, recommend, review