project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
27 Nov 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #51
Tim270
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: Review and Recommend a book (ANY book)

Reading this mainly for research and reference at the moment. Very interesting about the reliance on tankettes and the expectation of a Western attack on Germany.

Never got around to reading it even though everyone knows what it is about etc.

Cant find a image 'Afrika korps'.

Needed more info on 130th so it was a very decent read documenting the north African campaign from a German perspective.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tim270 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:36 PM   #52
CareBear

Send a message via MSN to CareBear

now away from all this modern war stuff, time for some fantasy!

mainly dungeon and dragons,
Just finished 'The Ghost King' the final book of the transition trilogy by R.A.Salvatore

it is the 27th book of his iv read, revolving around a dark elf, drizzt do'urden, or around characters that become involved with the story at some later point, some epic reads especially if you are a fan of fantasy or have played fantasy games etc

unfortunatley i read them back to back pretty much since around october time, and now when ever fantasy comes up im thinking D&D style magic users etc which is making it hard in what to choose next to read!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CareBear is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #53
Bamtoman

Send a message via AIM to Bamtoman Send a message via Skype™ to Bamtoman

Thanks to this book I managed to avoid getting hit by a huge cargo ship while I was walking from school
I am here to tell the story !

This signature was intentionally left blank.
Bamtoman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:51 AM   #54
Pariel

I looked up that book expecting a joke.

It really is about avoiding huge ships.
Pariel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:39 AM   #55
Sidewinder Zulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamtoman View Post

Thanks to this book I managed to avoid getting hit by a huge cargo ship while I was walking from school
I am here to tell the story !
Yeah, I mean the other day I was riding my bike and this huge ship came down the street and almost ran me over, and I was like, "WTF is up with all these huge ships? I need a book that tells me how to avoid them!"

/trololol

This is a great book:

One of Clancy's best books, IMO.

It's a narrative of a Soviet/WarPac invasion of West Germany during the late 1980's, with no nukes involved, just man-to-man WWIII between NATO and the Commies.

Really great story, and Clancy does a very nice job of showing how various weapon systems would work in a modern conventional war.
Last edited by Sidewinder Zulu; 01-28-2011 at 02:38 AM..
Old 01-21-2011, 05:55 AM   #56
pfhatoa

Something Happened by Joseph Heller

Cold but with great knowledge of humanity. This time it is not the life, fears, sex, absurdities, and sorrows of a military compound but of a company. Everyone is afraid of everyone. Very interesting which I've sadly haven't finished as I've been held up.
pfhatoa is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:53 AM   #57
dtacs
Supporting Member

10000000000000000000000000000000000000000x better than the movie with de Caprio.
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #58
karambaitos

Send a message via MSN to karambaitos Send a message via Skype™ to karambaitos

After the 3rd world war the world i plunged into a nuclear winter, only small pockets of humanity exist which have managed to survive deep underground in the moscow metro.

Its an awesome book where the writer explains in great detail about how the people survive in the metro and how people still cling to their political beliefs and kill each other even though they are most likely the only part of humanity that is left.

There is only one unforgivable lie That is the lie that says, This is the end, you are the conqueror, you have achieved it and now all that remains is to build walls higher and shelter behind them. Now, the lie says, the world is safe.? The Great Khan.

40k is deep like that.
karambaitos is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #59
Robert-The-Bruce

"The Sound Of Thunder" by Wilbur Smith

I surprised myself with this book. I read the 485 pages since yesterday evening. I don't usually do that! I read english language books about half as fast as german laguage books, meaning I spent all day today just reading this.

It's set in South Africa during and immediately after the Boer War at the biggening of dawn of last century. I guess I found it most appealing because the main character, Sean, is very believable in his setting. The tactics, politics and etiquette of the British Army and British Empire seem to me as very authentic to that time.

There is a lot of sibling rivalry going on throughout the book and not having read the first book of the series it definetly added a layer of mystery about the bitter rivalry, because it is never 100% certain what exactly went on in the past and why his brother has such an everlasting grudge against him, well until the end naturally...

Now I can sfely start reading the first book in the series...(I accidentally started with this one although I own both)
Robert-The-Bruce is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #60
Tofurkeymeister
Default Re: Rivality (PC Browser Game)

Short, deep, and downright cool (pun intended). I find it incredible how accurate some of Ray Bradbury's predictions of the future were. This book is more than about burning books.

Also, it has an 8 legged mechanical dog. Enough said.
Tofurkeymeister is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
book, recommend, review