project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
25 Jul 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 06:56 PM   #41
jerkzilla

Default Re: Review and Recommend a book (ANY book)

The Eerie Silence: Renewing Our Search for Alien Intelligence by Paul Davies, now head of SETI's Post-Detection Science and Technology Taskgroup.
I think it's pretty well structured and covers many if not all issues related to the existence of extra-terrestrial life in an easy to understand way. His point of view is, I'd say, pretty realistic, a little depressing but at the same time optimistic (or maybe deterministic is a better word). He also challenges some more conventional notions about alien life and suggests new methods of searching for evidence of their existence.

EDIT: Also, what Harrod200 said.

This signature is here due to lack of imagination.
jerkzilla is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #42
lromero

One bullet away by Nathaniel Fick

Great book really shows you what goes through the mind of an infantry officer. The book was even recommended by the USMC to be read by all junior officers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" border="0" />

PR BF2-[USA]Foxtrot0321
A2OA- [Pvt]Romero[15th MEU] - Gambler 3 1st Squad Alpha Fireteam
lromero is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:53 PM   #43
Vanya

If you like fantasy try Monument

It has a great story and main character. It has a different feel from any other fantasy the I have ever read. It is more about survival than doing the right thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vanya is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:33 AM   #44
Pariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lromero View Post

Great book really shows you what goes through the mind of an infantry officer. The book was even recommended by the USMC to be read by all junior officers.
The book is actually sitting on my floor right now waiting to be read.

Almost done with:

Amazon.com: Project Azorian: The CIA and the Raising of K-129 (9781591146902): Norman Polmar, Michael White: Books

This book brings up more questions than it answers. Specifically from an engineering point of view I found it to be virtually devoid of facts. Interesting story, but the reality seems to be that the truth hasn't come out yet, and the authors focused on story telling, rather than in depth analysis of the systems used during the recovery.

Also, I suggest virtually anything by Andrew Bacevich. He's almost singularly qualified in his field, although I think his viewpoints may be too radical for the US government to come around to in the near future.
Pariel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:52 AM   #45
Haji with a Handgun

Bernard Cornwell -The Richard Sharpe Series

Its a series of historical fiction novels spanning the war between France and England, the fighting in Portugal and Spain, and eventually Waterloo. Its places Richard Sharpe, A soldier in the British army, at the time and place of many real events and fits his story into it. Its a brilliant series, I would recommend them to anyone interested in history or even just looking a for a good read.

Amazon

In Game: Marxman

Haji with a Handgun is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:50 AM   #46
Robert-The-Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by lromero View Post

A magnificent book. There are many things great about this book:

-He is not trying to overdramatise things
-He is not judging towards others, but instead just analizing
-He does not appear to be persueing any sort of agenda, political or otherwise
-He describes in great detail the conflicting interests that a platoonleader has to face constantly, and how agonising and counterintuitive the decisions are that one has to take in war
-etc.

Although it's only about 1/2 the book it offers a slightly different take on the events everyone knows from Generation Kill as well.

A completely different category:

"Hector & the Search for Happiness" by Francois Lelord

I've read it in German, since I don't speak(, read or write) French.

One of the things I found peculiar, was that the childish language added alot to my enjoyment. Other than the language I guess theres nothing exceptional about this book. A man goes on a journey around the world and meets a lot of interesting/strange/eccentric people and discovers things about happiness and humankind in general that had never accured to him beforehand.

A terrific uplifting book.

Now for something a little more sober:

"Taliban" by Ahmed Rashid

A book about how the Taliban emerged, what their motives are(or at least where, because the book was published just before[!] the 9/11 attacks) and what an appauling role outside political and industrial forces played in the whole desaster, that was post-soviet Afghanistan.
Sections, particularly about the ignorance and selfishness of outside powers(read ISI,CIA, etc.), were absolutely shocking to me.
A great read offering everything you would ever want to know about the Taliban.
Unfortunatly, I have not come round to reading his other books on the subject, that he wrote after 9/11 and the subsequent invasion, yet.
Robert-The-Bruce is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:26 AM   #47
Spartan0189

Send a message via AIM to Spartan0189 Send a message via MSN to Spartan0189

The Zombie Survival Guide
Author: Max Brooks
Spartan's Rating: 4/5 (For the fact of my short review)
Not sure if you're interested in this kind of topic, but it's simply put forth, a guide, At first you get somewhat of a joy, like you're reading the new PR Manual of a new build, which has been released with a lot of new features and such. But then after reading through the PR Manual once, you probably won't look back at it again.

That's just me.

Currently, I'm reading another one of Max Brook's works, World War Z. Give me a few weeks and I'll come back with my review of it.

Spartan0189 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #48
Pariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haji with a Handgun View Post
Bernard Cornwell -The Richard Sharpe Series

Its a series of historical fiction novels spanning the war between France and England, the fighting in Portugal and Spain, and eventually Waterloo. Its places Richard Sharpe, A soldier in the British army, at the time and place of many real events and fits his story into it. Its a brilliant series, I would recommend them to anyone interested in history or even just looking a for a good read.
In this vein, the Gaunt's Ghosts series. Supposedly based on the Sharpe series, but based in the Warhammer 40k universe. Currently you can get three omnibuses (The Founding,The Saint, and The Lost) containing four or five books each, and running around 1000 pages a piece, and the newest book, Blood Pact.

Amazon.com: Gaunt's Ghosts: The Founding (Gaunts Ghost) (9781844163694): Dan Abnett: Books
Pariel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #49
Vanya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan0189 View Post
The Zombie Survival Guide
Author: Max Brooks
↑↑I have them both↓↓

Ill have to admit i haven't read the whole thread but if WorldWarZ wasn't mentioned it should have been.

Vanya is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:33 PM   #50
ReadMenace

-REad
ReadMenace is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
book, recommend, review