project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
01 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 08:10 AM   #31
Doc.Pock

Default Re: Review and Recommend a book (ANY book)

Adolf Hitler-Mein Kampf

Pure WIN

not that i agree with him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[R-MOD]Spec: Actually, I did teamkill him last I remember... -on Rhino being a teamkiller.
=Romagnolo=: Becareful, it is addictive. -on me sig quoting.
Doc.Pock is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:12 AM   #32
[R-DEV]AfterDune
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Could you edit your post and explain the "pure win" comment?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-DEV]AfterDune is online now Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:17 AM   #33
pfhatoa

8/10

An informative book describing how Europe underdeveloped Africa by using Marxist/history materialistic theories. It is an interesting read for leftist as well as rightist, either to confirm your thoughts or to paint a picture of the enemy. A must read for anyone with interest in African history.
pfhatoa is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:25 AM   #34
Technoelite

I am a historian i find this funny because most of what he writes is crap but its a good read full of suspense and mystery

The lost Symbol by Dan Brown

The Making of the British Army by Allan Mallinson

Its a really really good read about how the British army grew from the English Civil War till the modern conflicts, even has a very good chapter of BOFOR and the defence of western Europe and how buggerd we were. It was written by a soldier as well.

Technoelite is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #35
goguapsy

If you wanna know about the PSC, "Master of War" is interesting.

Basically the history of Blackwater.

7/10 if you are interested in this (ie. it IS interesting, but it's not like you learn any life-changing thing from it, know what I mean?)

Meanwhile I'm reading an awesome book....

C?mo tener seguridad y poder en el trato con la gente

Still halfway through, but 10/10.

It is spanish, yeah, but it is so interesting, it is about dealing with people and stuff. I guess it's great if you are not very good at relations with other people on your opinion, or perhaps an introvert.

Guys, when a new player comes, just answer his question and go on your merry way, instead of going berserk! It's THAT simple!

[/CENTER]
goguapsy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:02 AM   #36
BloodBane611
Supporting Member

Licensed to Kill is quite good as well on PSCs

My favorite Vietnam book, author won a silver star pulling a LRRP team member through triple canopy in Laos:

[R-CON]creepin - "because on the internet 0=1"

BloodBane611 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #37
[R-DEV]Hans Martin Slayer
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via Skype™ to [R-DEV]Hans Martin Slayer

It's on my all-time top ten list for sure.

Amazon.com: Das Boot: The Boat (9780304352319): Lothar-G?nther Buchheim: Books

Random review:

Quote:
Lother-Guenther Buchheim has provided us with a unique insight into an aspect of the Second World War that has been highly misrepresented in the modern "Hollywood" film industry. Disasters such as U-571 have unfortunately reached our screens, and as such, cloud our perspective as to how the Battle of the Atlantic was truly fought by men on both sides. The Germans are *always* the brutal bunglers given nothing but bad press, well, read this book and that view goes out the window along with the rest of the trash! These are ordinary men, from various backgrounds, called upon by their nation to serve in a time of war. As sailors in arguably the most dangerous naval profession (of the 40,000 servicemen who entered the U-Boat Arm, 30,000 became casualties) they are more than worthy of such a deep, thought-provoking appraisal. One cannot avoid sympathising with the crew as they toil through hostile waters on a hazardous voyage.
The book is technically a novel, but it is by no means a work of fiction. The author served as a naval war correspondant to the Kriegsmarine in the war, and this book is his recollection and interpretation of his own experiences. Although the characters are fictional, the experiences described are not.

I would thoroughly recommend this book to anyone with an interest in military history, especially if you wish to experience the war as the "other side" saw it. In effect, no different to ourselves.

OFC I've read the German version, so I don't know how good or bad the English one is.

It might take you a while to get used to his style of writing.

I can only recommend it.

E: The movie's really good, too.
Last edited by [R-DEV]Hans Martin Slayer; 01-19-2011 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: Adendum
Old 01-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #38
Airsoft Soldier
PR:BF2 Deputy Test Lead
Project Reality Beta Tester

Even though I read it a while back, I must say it is an excellent description of Durant's life in the Army, the training, missions he flew, and the events leading up to what became known as Blackhawk Down. Also describes his captivity and how he managed to survive it.

Amazon.com: In The Company Of Heroes (9780451219930): Michael J. Durant, Steven Hartov: Books

http://www.amazon.com/Shooter-Autobi...5471353&sr=1-1

Also a good read that narrates a sniper's experience during the invasion of Iraq.

By the way, some people have recommended George W. Bush's autobiography, the one that came out last year...can anyone further elaborate on it?

Airsoft Soldier is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #39
puppetmaster532

the devils gaurd is a good book its about a company of the waffen ss who flee to the french forign legion after ww2 and fight in vietnam against the veitmin. i would give it a A+++
puppetmaster532 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #40
Scot
Supporting Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Scot

I have only read sections, however I've just ordered it and from the introducing paragraphs, a fascinating read. From Socrates to the Berlin Wall, this book really appeals to me, and if you are a historian who enjoys counter-factuals, I strongly advise reading this book. Even if you are just interested in War in general, this is a great read, and can be read literally chapter at at time, as they are all completely separate.

Scot is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
book, recommend, review