project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
17 Dec 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 03:21 PM   #31
Conman51

Default Re: The Official MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread

Oh never saw this thread! Im very new to MMA so im still learning the basics of boxing and Jiujitsu. I want to get better at it its really fun and you feel so good after a workout in the morning.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Mark Twain

Conman51 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #32
Twisted Helix
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mj Pain View Post
and until i see a wing chun practitioner or shaolin munk step up for real, than im gonna keep calling it fake mombo jombo.
Then what you have to do is simply go and see. This is the tradition in martial arts ... you decide to make the trip. If you don't then you stay where you are and have an opinion.

Quote:
I have watched those old Gracie clips and i cant belive you are calling them fake while you post videos of dudes doing nothing that looks like a real fight.
I am not saying Gracie is a pussy, nor I am I saying that his grappling technique is fake. Its quite obviously fucking effective and you can often see the surprise on the guys faces confronting it. But the whole TV thing, the bravado, the endless winning and the bullshit ... thats as fake as it comes and if you cannot see past that then you cannot see past the screen.

The attempts to put others down, while bigging himself up. Its publicity cock bollocks, and to do with money and nothing else. And when you have that vacuousness of soul to a teacher ... yes I call him a fake. It is not what its about.

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
--George Patton--
Last edited by Twisted Helix; 09-09-2011 at 04:02 PM..
Old 09-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #33
hiberNative

why didn't they let the wing chun guy spar with someone?

-
hiberNative is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #34
Twisted Helix
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Saw another one where some 120kg gorilla basically sits on this 75kg "wing chun" guy with a bunch of muscle bound americans all in the background egging him on.

Some of it is almost tantamount to racism to be honest. And I do detect a bit of the "american ways are best" going on. If you watch the Ip Man series you will see exactly the opposite kind of propoganda from a Chinese side.

This all has nothing to do with martial arts.

Wing Chun is about defending yourself. It is not a show arena sport, its a street fighting martial art that revolves around using an opponents strength against them as it was invented by a woman. It is a truly humble martial art, the true practitioners of which are humble people who do not seek violence out.

But when called to ... they can be very deadly, very fast. Putting gloves on for fighting Wing Chun is ridiculous, many of the attacks revolve around gouges, nerve strikes and slashing with sharpened nails. And most of their trained strikes are for kill zones where they will compact major arteries and windpipes. Only place you will ever see real Wing Chun being used as it was meant to ... is when they need to for defence. And that will be for real in the real world. Seen it ... and its impressive. I was still wondering who to hit when it was all over.

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
--George Patton--
Last edited by Twisted Helix; 09-09-2011 at 04:55 PM..
Old 09-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #35
Kirra

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiberNative View Post
why didn't they let the wing chun guy spar with someone?
They did let him spar. But then they saw that he sucked and didn't want to have him in the organisation.
Kirra is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:54 AM   #36
Twisted Helix
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

This is my friends teacher at the moment. Paul Smith. I don't do Wing Chun, but I know how effective it is in real life by real practitioners, I occasionally spar with my mate for fun though and its very enlightening ... it has a lot to teach all other martial arts as its about fundamentals of body, muscle and bone and balance.

This is quite a rare video, as sparring is not normally done like this (in the UK anyway). Sticky hands, monkey paws etc are all invented so that the body can learn the muscle movements at slow and safe speeds.

They just piss about warming up for the first minute, and then put the protectors on.

Paul Smith is actually into MMA as well, and he is one of the people who is trying to work Wing Chun into MMA in a safe manner, without diluting it.

--George Patton--
Last edited by Twisted Helix; 09-10-2011 at 03:03 AM..
Old 09-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #37
Mj Pain
Supporting Member

LOL thats gotta be the silliest thing ive ever seen.
Keep posting these funny videos Twisted. They are always good for a laugh.

Anyways..
Any of our russian friends on this forum that can give some info on this video.

WARNING BRUTAL

??????? ? ???????????? ?? ????.??

There is one badass chick in it but i can figure out what the fight is about. (Organized football hooligans?)

Mj Pain is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:20 AM   #38
Twisted Helix
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mj Pain View Post
LOL thats gotta be the silliest thing ive ever seen.
Keep posting these funny videos Twisted. They are always good for a laugh.
Yes I have noticed that you are very into your Armchair Martial Arts and being an Internet Warrior.

I am sure your videos of school kids playing tag in a forest with minders are serious for you.

Of course, where Paul Smith teaches self defence ... we get it for real.

Swapping football cards, trying to have heroes, trying somehow to make yourself seem bigger by posting videos. Not entirely sure what this has to do with Martial Arts, but obviously it does it for you. Martial Arts are about being able to defend yourself in situations like what happens in the first minute of the above video. They are also about developing maturity and conscience so that its not you behaving like the kids in that video. And the bottom line is, the best self defence training you can have ... is learning how to run fast.

I truly feel sorry for you if all the stuff you are posting and glorifying is what martial arts means to you. It means you have had bad teachers, with no soul, who have taught you the words but not the meaning. Assuming of course you actually practice and have ever had teachers at all other than in your imagination.

Real martial artists open their mind to everything, and try to learn as much as possible. Like Paul Smith, who also mixes in with MMA, BJJ and Muay Thai. Because that is what real martial artists (and especially MMA) do. You learn everything you can about potential opponents and ways of fighting.

Just like Carlson Gracie. Who learned Wing Chun to improve his style. And him and Kwok developed a hybrid between the two. Of course if you followed and practice either of these styles you would know this.

http://sfuk.tripod.com/interviews_04...on_gracie.html

Neither teacher, not Carlson ... not Kwok ... nor Paul Smith or Billy Davidson (the two guys in the video you think is funny) who were also there training others ... seem to have your childish and pathetic approach to martial arts. Like all true teachers and students ... they seek to learn.

--George Patton--
Last edited by Twisted Helix; 09-12-2011 at 05:31 AM..
Old 09-12-2011, 06:08 AM   #39
Mj Pain
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Twisted Helix View Post
Yes I have noticed that you are very into your Armchair Martial Arts and being an Internet Warrior.

I am sure your videos of school kids playing tag in a forest with minders are serious for you.

Of course, where Paul Smith teaches self defence ... we get it for real.
You get another big LOL from me Twisted.. I dont know why you would think that im a internetwarrior so im gonna lay it out for you.

Im not a kid. I am a 36 year old familyman.
Im 178cm and 90kg.
I have been training MMA and BJJ for the last 6 years. Before that i trained MuayThai and boxing (also played American football for a cupple of years but that is not the topic).

For the last 16 years i have been working security at nightclubs.
That means i have been in more "selfdefense" situations than i can remember.
Either with people trying to hurt me, or me disabling and controlling violent people.

This is how i look..

Last edited by Mj Pain; 09-12-2011 at 08:54 AM..
Old 09-12-2011, 07:35 AM   #40
Twisted Helix
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Nice tache, good development on your Tri's as well.

Why with your experience do you seek to argue against the kind of philosophy that your teachers espouse ?

Quote:
(Carlson Gracie)..."nowadays all the people, they know many martial arts and enter all these competitions and if you just know one or two, you're not going to do very well. Nowadays you need to have knowledge of all martial arts or as many as possible, if you are a boxer and someone just grabs you and throws you on the floor, like a JJ man would, you are stuffed! JJ has many different parts to it and I believe some of the best fighters in the world are JJ fighters. If you just have legs you are at a disadvantage, if you just have hands you are at a disadvantage, if you mix many arts to take advantage of a certain set of rules in a certain arena then you have a greater chance of winning. You have to have an understanding of all martial arts in order to have good fighting and be successful in martial arts competitions"
And on Wing Chun in BJJ ...

Quote:
People are doing one thing or people are doing another. I think there are a lot of ways to fight, however I think that we felt it was a good idea to start using some of the very effective things in WC in the Vale Tudo arena, though obviously there are some techniques you can't use, for example eye gouges, chopping in the throat and things like that, these aren't very sociable and I'd like to think we haven't sunk to that level yet. What I think is important is things like continuation of attack (fon sau), breaking the hands free, getting into that range where you can take down, Wing Chun lives there. Also use of the different angles.
You know this is the truth .... so why argue against it ?

--George Patton--
Twisted Helix is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
arts, martial, mixed, mma, official, thread