project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
18 Dec 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #21
Twisted Helix
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: General Fitness Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mj Pain View Post
Twisted, why do you feel so negativly against the Gracies (they are a family, not just one guy)?
Why do you call the TV shows (UFC 1 and so forth?) fake?
Because I know guys that went over to the states to enter in his 'fights' and they came back disgusted by what they saw. Its fake and set up. They were invited to come over to Glasgow to be in some independently set up fights, but they turned all offers down. Which is surprising really when you consider the Gracie family came from Scottish roots ... you would think they would be interested in a Scottish show.

I am talking specifically about the Gracie Challenge, I know nothing about UFC.

You have to be aware that these things are big business and big money and that is what its about. Especially in America.

Quote:
I belive the Gracies have done alot for the development of modern martial arts by calling out these so called Masters and show the world that their secret mombo-jombo stuff doesnt actually work.
One of the things they used to do in almost every single televised challenge match, was to get some poor sucker from a martial art that they wanted to show down as poor, and pay him to take a dive and a good kicking. So as to show the superiority of his style. I was all pr and a money making gimmick.

Not knocking MMA or Jujitsu by the way ... I would never dream of doing that. Just saying that what you see on TV aint all it seems to be a lot of the time.

Quote:
Perhaps we should continue this discussion here.
http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f11-...-thread-2.html
Ooo an actual thread

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
--George Patton--
Last edited by Twisted Helix; 09-09-2011 at 07:43 AM..
Old 09-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #22
Ron123123
Default Re: General Fitness Thread

I practice dutch thaiboxing about 5 times a week, I'm 6,2 220 and pretty dominant on my feet. A while ago I did a couple MMA classes with some BJJ guys, and I can tell you it's pretty fucking legit. Whenever we went to ground I felt like I was about 20 steps behind, probably because I actually was..
Ron123123 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #23
Twisted Helix
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: The Official MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread

Like I said ... not knocking the techniques at all. Used to practice a bit of Japanese jujitsu myself. Long time ago though.

As you get older, you tend to move away from 'fighting' and tend to get more interested in 'fighting without fighting'

Tai Chi would be my preferred martial art to be into now, although again I haven't practised in a long time. Because its more about a way of life than it is about fighting. So saying that ... I saw two full contact guys try and take down my old Tai Chi teacher one time ... and they simply could not lay a finger on him. The more and more frustrated they got the more mistakes they made while he just danced around them laughing.

But fighting is not what Tai Chi is about though (although the families would always be challenging each other ... you get that everywhere), its about taking the physical reality of effortless movement and turning it into a way to lead your life.

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
--George Patton--
Twisted Helix is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #24
Mj Pain
Supporting Member

Quote:
One of the things they used to do in almost every single televised challenge match, was to get some poor sucker from a martial art that they wanted to show down as poor, and pay him to take a dive and a good kicking. So as to show the superiority of his style. I was all pr and a money making gimmick.
Hmm i wouldnt go so far as to call guys like Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn and Remco Pardoel "poor suckers".

Mj Pain is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #25
Twisted Helix
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Ken Shamrock Says Everyone Except the UFC Wants Shamrock vs. Royce Gracie III | Bleacher Report

Ken Shamrock loses legal battle against the UFC, UFC wants fees: "Ken Shamrock, who claimed... - Bloody Elbow

Its all big business mate ... its all about controlling money and prestige. I am not really into this side of martial arts because its not about martial arts. Its about pay per view TV and behind the scenes betting.

Watch the early Gracie Challenge videos. You can see each one is pretty much scripted as exactly the same thing happens in each one. Apparently later on he started to loose his bouts and then he stopped the whole thing. Maybe word got about ... I don't know.

However worth bearing in mind that this is nothing new ... for 1000 years in China this is how rival schools used to work, tried to put each other down and tote themselves as the best ... trickery and subterfuge abounded.

Watch IP man ... yes it is highly Chinese propoganda, as the mighty Chinese fist destroys all their hated enemies ... but at the same time its a true story, gives you a good insight into pre communist china and there is some bloody good fight choreography.

If you are in London, go to the Shaolin Temple and see with your own eyes ... always for the best.

By the way ... there is a book I read a while ago which was remarkably refreshing, approached the whole fighting thing in a completely different way ... funny as fuck with some hillarious stories in it, while at the same time stripping all the fancy names and fancy games from the martial arts and distilling it all down to basics. I don't know much more about the guy other than what I read but I definitely was very impressed and learned a lot from what he had to say. A refreshing and different view on fighting !

The guys name is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_MacYoung , and I am not sure which book it was I read (looked about for it but couldn't find it ... probably in a box somewhere) but I think it might have been ...

http://www.amazon.com/Cheap-Shots-Am.../dp/0873644964

Well worth the read ... if only because its fucking funny

--George Patton--
Last edited by Twisted Helix; 09-09-2011 at 12:08 PM..
Old 09-09-2011, 12:13 PM   #26
xatu miller

Training judo for about 4 years total green belt. tae kwon do 3 years green/blue belt and mma for about 2 years. Martial arts are the best thing that happened to me. They teach not just fighting but life it self.

"Intermolecular interactions in the flake's matrix could be weakened by the plasticizer [water], leading to the solubilization of some components, and to a decrease in mechanical integrity."
READ: Water makes cereal soggy.
xatu miller is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #27
Twisted Helix
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xatu miller View Post
They teach not just fighting but life it self.
Yes and this is what its all about. Many (I wont say all because that is a generalization I cannot back up) martial arts were created by spiritual monks ... who developed their techniques as a way of defence in turbulent warlord torn countries, but yet at the same time they incorporated their spiritual beliefs into the practice, so that their training developed not only their ability to defend themselves, but also their mysticism. Kill 2 birds with one stone kind of idea.

This is the essence to martial arts and to remove it creates a sorry empty parody. Martial arts are a way to develop not only your body and fighting, but your mind and soul as well. This is their true beauty ... you can become whole and happy through a physical discipline, for life.

I am glad you have found that, because you have found the secret indeed.

--George Patton--
Twisted Helix is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #28
Mj Pain
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Twisted Helix View Post
Ken Shamrock Says Everyone Except the UFC Wants Shamrock vs. Royce Gracie III | Bleacher Report

Ken Shamrock loses legal battle against the UFC, UFC wants fees: "Ken Shamrock, who claimed... - Bloody Elbow

Its all big business mate ... its all about controlling money and prestige. I am not really into this side of martial arts because its not about martial arts. Its about pay per view TV and behind the scenes betting.

Watch the early Gracie Challenge videos. You can see each one is pretty much scripted as exactly the same thing happens in each one. Apparently later on he started to loose his bouts and then he stopped the whole thing. Maybe word got about ... I don't know.
Yeah it is all big business nowadays, but a fight is still just a fight and until i see a wing chun practitioner or shaolin munk step up for real, than im gonna keep calling it fake mombo jombo.
I have watched those old Gracie clips and i cant belive you are calling them fake while you post videos of dudes doing nothing that looks like a real fight.
Common.. how do you even fake going to wellknown "masters" school and challenging him infront of his students.

Royce Gracie went his last professional fight 2006 against Matt Huges (witch he lost) and at an age of 44 still has not officially retired. Are you really calling him fake?

Sorry to come at you like this but this shit is so old that it should be common knowledge for anyone with a genuine interest in fighting.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #29
Kirra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mj Pain View Post
Yeah it is all big business nowadays, but a fight is still just a fight and until i see a wing chun practitioner or shaolin munk step up for real, than im gonna keep calling it fake mombo jombo.
I have watched those old Gracie clips and i cant belive you are calling them fake while you post videos of dudes doing nothing that looks like a real fight.
Common.. how do you even fake going to wellknown "masters" school and challenging him infront of his students.

Royce Gracie went his last professional fight 2006 against Matt Huges (witch he lost) and at an age of 44 still has not officially retired. Are you really calling him fake?

Sorry to come at you like this but this shit is so old that it should be common knowledge for anyone with a genuine interest in fighting.
A challenger appears. 00:40 and on:

That was really, really painful to watch. Not only is he a complete idiot, but he is giving wing chun a REALLY bad name.
Kirra is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #30
Mj Pain
Supporting Member

Jeeess. what a clown.

Tags
arts, martial, mixed, mma, official, thread