project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
18 Dec 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 08:16 AM   #11
Rico
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: The Official MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread

Started kickboxing last night. Awesome workout, my calves are killing today though!
Rico is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:27 AM   #12
arjan

of all fighting styles, i think i like military hand combat the best (a mix of a few stuff)
arjan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #13
OiSkout

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjan View Post
of all fighting styles, i think i like military hand combat the best (a mix of a few stuff)
Well, it's cause nearly every single other fighting style is now a sport.

Sigless.
OiSkout is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #14
00SoldierofFortune00

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjan View Post
MCMAP is only good if you are a green belt or above IMO because that is where you really start to learn practical stuff. In the tan and grey belts, you learn stuff you could learn in a week or 2 at a regular BJJ, wrestling, boxing, or muay thai gym. The grappling is good though.

IMO, the best martial arts are BJJ, Judo, wrestling, and muay thai along with some boxing. Boxing is too limited and rigid compared to muay thai which is the best striking art IMO. BJJ is the best for ground because they learn locks and more than wrestlers usually do (they are teaching us how to beat wrestlers) and Judo is the best for throws. Taekwondo is probably the worst because they don't spar realistically and they do too many impractical moves. And Krav Maga just seems overrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OiSkout View Post
Well, it's cause nearly every single other fighting style is now a sport.
That doesn't mean that they can't be used for self defense or practical applications. Unless you get higher in the belts, the military martial arts don't really teach you how to effectively defend yourself. On the other hand, if you have only done boxing/muay thai with sparring or BJJ for a couple of months, then you will be able to defend yourself pretty well against regular people. There are guys in my BJJ and combat wrestling classes that are really good and have only been doing it for 3 months or less.

"Push the Envelope, Watch It Bend"

Tool ~ Lateralus
00SoldierofFortune00 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:41 PM   #15
OiSkout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00SoldierofFortune00 View Post
That doesn't mean that they can't be used for self defense or practical applications. Unless you get higher in the belts, the military martial arts don't really teach you how to effectively defend yourself. On the other hand, if you have only done boxing/muay thai with sparring or BJJ for a couple of months, then you will be able to defend yourself pretty well against regular people. There are guys in my BJJ and combat wrestling classes that are really good and have only been doing it for 3 months or less.
What I meant was, that it's not limited to anything and it's straight to the point(ie - disable). And most people like that sort of thing, thats why HLs are made of KOs and submissions. Thus, the dude likes it.

Sigless.
OiSkout is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #16
z0MbA

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0MbA View Post
ive been boxing for a year, thats it no ju jitsu (cannot spell)
not much but they are really fun to watch
z0MbA is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:56 PM   #17
00SoldierofFortune00

Quote:
Originally Posted by OiSkout View Post
What I meant was, that it's not limited to anything and it's straight to the point(ie - disable). And most people like that sort of thing, thats why HLs are made of KOs and submissions. Thus, the dude likes it.
HLs?

IMO, those "straight to the point" martial arts like Krav Maga or the like are not worth it IMO. I have never taken Krav Maga, but those "military" martial arts (the ones that emphasize disabling based on hand techniques or grabbing the hands) are not practical because they usually involve grabbing an arm or hand which isn't gonna happen in a real fight, no matter how fast you are unless they put their hands on you. Even if they do put their hands on you, there is still a high chance of you missing or messing up what you are going for if they struggle in the slightest. IMO, there really is no "straight to the point" martial art besides just punching/kicking them ala muay thai/boxing or taking them to the ground ala BJJ/wrestling/judo. And if they have a knife, then you just run lol.

"Push the Envelope, Watch It Bend"

Tool ~ Lateralus
00SoldierofFortune00 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:34 AM   #18
Twisted Helix
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: General Fitness Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Jesus View Post
It all comes down to experience, weight, reach, power and technique. You will hardly find anyone who trains in eastern martial arts to receive the same experience in their training than guys in the MMA. There are more variables to consider than just the style of fighting a fighter has. I've seen a experienced fighter who trained in MMA get beat by a street fighter, and the reason was he couldn't deal with the guy who constantly charged at him and was doing anything to win, including biting, and hitting the groin.
Firstly the MMA techniques ... .where do you think they have come from ? The majority of the eastern influence in there, and in fact the majority of the influence of Eastern Martial arts on the west, has come through Wing Chun .... and the teaching of Yip man, Bruce Lee's Teacher. The influence of this particular style, obviously due to television, has done more to influence the development of western martial fighting styles than any other single martial arts style. (Jackie Chan, Jet Li all the big TV martial artists ... all Win Chun devotes of Yip Mans school.)

Yip Man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here you can see a Wing Chun guy having fun with a boxer , boxing is fast ... but Wing Chun is blinding (Wing Chun incidently IS Chinese boxing). You can see these guys are having fun

Here you can see a slowed down class sparring with Win Chun vrs Mu Thai (you practice at slow speeds because at fast people get badly hurt). You can see that although the MuTai guy does get a couple of awesome kicks in, that in reality would have put the other guy on his back (those knee to the head ones ... really amazing, because the wing chun guy is trying to get inside his reach but he really didn't expect those knees) ... generally ... the Wing Chun guy is overwhelming him and keeping him on the defensive through speed and agility.

Does this look like a useless fighting technique ?

And here is a Shaolin Monk showing a very surprised westerner some of his secrets

And guess what ... Shaolin monks like their strength training too ! Old style !

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
--George Patton--
Twisted Helix is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:46 AM   #19
Twisted Helix
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirra View Post
What I meant was that while it's great to do wing chun/taekwondo/karate/kung fu for the traditions and because you enjoy the respect and discipline, it might be better to do a less "rigid" martial art if you actually want to get good at fighting.
Yes, this is what I said basically about the training it into body knowledge. Although watch that extreme street fighting wing chun video I put up there and obviously its a demonstration, but you can see those moves and it doesnt take much to realize how they can be used in the street (and I have a mate has practiced Wing Chun for 25 years ... and I can tell you ... he can sure handle himself in a street fight).

Quote:
The problem with karate and taekwondo is that most of the competitions (or all of them in Norway) are point based. So you can KO your opponent and still lose the fight. These martial arts are great for competing against other people who do the same martial art, but unless there are actual competitions that are based on a KO win and not some arbitrary point system, chances are that the techniques don't work so well outside the specific rules of that art.
Well yes ... and that was why I was talking about full contact martial arts. Not semi contact competitions. Here in the UK and especially in Glasgow we have what are known as Cage fights ... and Glasgow was in fact one of the first places to start these kinds of matches. Real cage fights that is .... not the fake TV spectacles that Gracie used to put on, which are all fixed like Wrestling matches are, designed to make his school and martial arts method look the best. Or did you never wonder why he always seems to win ?

I will be the first to admit that Karate is not a good martial art to learn either for street fighting or ring fights ... however again, once you get people who have practised for 20 years, its irrelevant ... they are good. Wing Chun though ... well its a damn good street fighting martial art.

And the one thing you have to remember about ring fighting and MMA ... they don't learn to kill. Many of the techniques that traditional martial arts teach are kill or breaking disable techniques, none of which would be allowed in even a full contact fight.

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
--George Patton--
Last edited by Twisted Helix; 09-09-2011 at 04:59 AM..
Old 09-09-2011, 07:03 AM   #20
Mj Pain
Supporting Member

Still OT but i wanna know..

Twisted, why do you feel so negativly against the Gracies (they are a family, not just one guy)?
Why do you call the TV shows (UFC 1 and so forth?) fake?

I belive the Gracies have done alot for the development of modern martial arts by calling out these so called Masters and show the world that their secret mombo-jombo stuff doesnt actually work. They laid the foundation for the worlds largest MMA organisation.

Here is a old and funny video of the Gracies that looks pretty real to me.
It is basicly:
1. Take him down.
2. Get to dominant position.
3. Have your way with him.

Perhaps we should continue this discussion here.
http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f11-...-thread-2.html

Mj Pain is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
arts, martial, mixed, mma, official, thread