project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
25 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 09:21 PM   #11
Psycho
Default Re: Anybody who has experience with the marines, please answer some questions.

The only thing I'm worried on is the Asvab test and Ive gotten 70% - 80% on practice but I'm still scared to fail it even though I can take it again. I'm just the kind of guy who chokes when taking tests.
Psycho is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:24 PM   #12
Fullforce
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: Anybody who has experience with the marines, please answer some questions.

I wonder when we'll get official recruiters posting on forums like this. That'd be interesting.
Fullforce is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:47 AM   #13
PR.Nato.Swordfish
Banned
Send a message via AIM to PR.Nato.Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
The only thing I'm worried on is the Asvab test and Ive gotten 70% - 80% on practice but I'm still scared to fail it even though I can take it again. I'm just the kind of guy who chokes when taking tests.
Well kid, if you dont have confidence in yourself you have no business in the Marines. End of discussion, period.

And Fullforce, God help us if that ever happened.
PR.Nato.Swordfish is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:35 AM   #14
JKRMAUI

The ASVAB is easy, you if you have any kind of brain in your skull. You should be able to slay the damn thing.

Marines are good.

Army is good.

Make sure you take some serious time to understand what you are getting into.

Remember, it does not matter what branch your recruiter is in. He will tell you "Just have heart, your asvab score is good, the sky is the limit"

He/She wants you to join. It is best to talk to currently serving members of the service/MOS you want.

You can try looking for forums and things. I know Cav Scouts have an official website. We have some serving members on those boards who have been very helpful to me. Lots of no Bogus info on those forums. One of them is an instructor at Knox. He has been making some very insightful posts of what to expect at OSUT.

If you are going for a combat MOS, which I assume you are. You will need to find three things answered before you even think about Oathing in.

#1 You understand the REALITIES of your job. Not the fancy pants recruitment video. Not the propaganda BULL that is fed to every kid in movies games and shows. You Know EXACTLY *or to the best understanding you could possibly have with out being in the hell* what you will be facing, and the type of life you will live.

#2 You have no quit in your soul. It is something you are passionate about. You are either committed 110% or you are just walking into torment.

#3 Check all options and make damn sure this is what you want to do. Look around dammit and think. Make damn sure you want what you are signing up for. Also make sure you are getting the best out of your contract as you can.
JKRMAUI is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:25 AM   #15
Brummy

Send a message via MSN to Brummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR.Nato.Swordfish View Post
First and foremost, go talk to your recruiter. I ve been out of the Marines for two years. They are the meanest, leanest toughest people you will ever have the pleasure (or misfortune) of meeting.
No offense, but I just hate it when people say that the USMC are the hardest trained soldiers, toughest and coolest.

There are plenty more military forces which require a way tougher training and mentality.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Brummy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:22 AM   #16
Anderson29
Supporting Member

its just the way marines are, its brainwashed into them. so, if they didn't think they where so high and mighty they wouldn't be marines. its amusing to me.

anyway, as a person currently in the army (5 years), i can say that i am proud to be in the army and my time as a paratrooper. i wouldn't have it any other way.

in-game name : Anderson29
steam : Anderson2981
Anderson29 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #17
ZZEZ
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummy View Post
No offense, but I just hate it when people say that the USMC are the hardest trained soldiers, toughest and coolest.

There are plenty more military forces which require a way tougher training and mentality.
Every army thinks its the best in the world, if you ask the Israeli soldiers they say they are far better then their American counterparts, if you ask the British they will say they're the best...nothing new really.

ZZEZ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:17 AM   #18
smart_boy00

Cool Re: Anybody who has experience with the marines, please answer some questions.

Might I throw a wrench in your thinking and suggest Air Force?

Sorry I just had to.

**Note**

Before I receive mounds and mounds of hate PM's and emails please read on.

My Father was in the Army in Vietnam

Both my Grandfathers were WWII Marines

I was about 90% almost signing up with the Marines way back in high school.

I changed my mind and signed with Air Force and my family practically dis-owned me. (But not really because in the end they were happy I was at least serving)

Perks of the Air Force way of life? Yeah they are plenty, but we do receive a lot of flack because of them.

Higher Pay
Less hours,
Stay in hotels on deployments...
Work with Jets, Bombs, missiles, and guns.

Their is more but for sake of getting my @$$ kicked and banned from the forms I will not say them

In retrospect I will say this. My EX brother in Law was a Marine. Served twice in Iraq. Best guy I ever had the honor of meeting. If I had to do it all over again, I would be a Marine.

smart_boy00 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #19
PR.Nato.Swordfish
Banned
Send a message via AIM to PR.Nato.Swordfish

Before we go anywhere,

Look at the statistics...
Marines get the least amount of funding. 20,000 bucks a Marine is all it costs...no more to train. They spend 3 months doing their intial basic, learning drill, combat, and firearms skills. Followed by a 6 week/ 8 week school, either Marine Combat Training for specialized MOSs or the School of Infantry for combat/infantry related MOS. After that, they finally begin their specialized MOS training, which can last from 6 weeks -12 weeks depending on the type. I spent a year before I was deployed, going through Indoc, jump, dive, mountain, and SERE school before I even touched a rifle, and then, THEN I was sent off to another specialty school. So there was all told almost a year and a half of my total time served in just training.

Our combat records speak for themselves. Technically were not brainwashed, and while I do like to needle the Army, they aren t a bad bunch of guys, we fight for the same flag. Air Force, well...yeah, thats them, and Navy has plenty of "green" based jobs such as a corpsmen. Its all up to you kid, but Ill reiterate myself...if you don t have the confidence to even pass the ASVAB, you have no business in the Marine Corps. It takes dedicated people, ok? You can t have one shroud of doubt.
PR.Nato.Swordfish is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:55 PM   #20
smart_boy00

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR.Nato.Swordfish View Post
Its all up to you kid, but Ill reiterate myself...if you don t have the confidence to even pass the ASVAB, you have no business in the Marine Corps. It takes dedicated people, ok? You can t have one shroud of doubt.
Agreed.

Do plenty of research and ask 100's of questions, once your in your in. Make sure where you go is right for you. It takes a diffrent mindset for every type of branch.

smart_boy00 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
answer, experience, marines, questions