project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
18 Dec 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 06:16 AM   #31
Hardtman

Default Re: Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by fludblud View Post
Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad announced

A GERMAN CAMPAIGN? awesome, always found it wierd that the germans had no love from ww2 games, germans are people too!
Well, that is because the Germans in WW2 are the 'perfect' enemy. It's relatively easy to justify shooting people as long as "they are Nazis". (Take that part with a huge grain of salt, not nearly everyone in the Wehrmacht was a Nazi)
It throws up some more moral qualms if you put a player into a role where he is supposed to shoot people who want to protect their homes, all just because of the twisted plans of the rulers of the 3rd Reich.

Hardtman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:31 AM   #32
hall0

Send a message via ICQ to hall0 Send a message via MSN to hall0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fludblud View Post
i never saw any commisars shooting deserters.
Yes but you can see this in COD 1 (watch the first two minutes)

@Spaz
I think he mean a little bit of both

@Hardtman
Agree. But the problem will be, we here in germany wont see the german campain
hall0 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:52 AM   #33
DankE_SPB
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via MSN to DankE_SPB Send a message via Skype™ to DankE_SPB

Quote:
actually it makes sense to play as a german in stalingrad as the average german soldier lived alot longer than the average russian conscript. your lifespan in the stalingrad section of COD2 was terribly unrealistic not to mention i never saw any commisars shooting deserters.
lol, stereotypes rules the world
do you know there are veterans, who passed whole war, not only 1 battle?

[R-DEV]Z-trooper: you damn russian bear spy ;P - WWJND?
DankE_SPB is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:11 AM   #34
hall0

Send a message via ICQ to hall0 Send a message via MSN to hall0

Sure there are vetreans but the average lifespan of a Red Army solider on the Stalingrad frontlines barely exceeded 24 hours, thats a fact.
hall0 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #35
fludblud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Are you saying that just because the character in cod survived longer then the average soldier in that battle the game is unrealistic? You do know that some people survived Stalingrad? Or am I just misunderstanding you?
im talking about a single brand new conscript who survived every battle, personally killed hundreds of germans, blew up dozens of tanks and captured many of the significant locations in the city. then again it is part of the COD franchise so i cant say im surprised.

its not a stereotype, it is a statistical fact that at times, the average lifespan of a green soviet conscript in stalingrad barely exceeded 24 hours, the lifespan of officers was thee days, even the movie enemy at the gates was a tad bit lenient on its portrayal of the red army, the non fiction book the movie was based on actually noted that it was one rifle every FIVE conscripts.

yeah had to do a history case study on stalingrad once and did a fair bit of research. the amount of human life spent on that one strategically insignificant city was nothing short of phenomenal, even today you can find the occasional bone shard in the sites that have been preserved, stalingrad represents war at its worst, and that will probably remain for the forseeable future.

Battle of Stalingrad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

fludblud is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:11 AM   #36
[EC]DR.NOobFragger

Hey, didn't really want to necro this thread but I didn't want to make a new thread with a perfectly good one right here.

A bunch of new Heroes of Stalingrad stuff came out, like screen shots and a feature list.

A link to the site here Red Orchestra: Heroes Of Stalingrad -

Some screen shots for those too lazy too look.

A feature list, again for those too lazy too look.

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad will take the award winning Red Orchestra franchise into the next generation of gaming. Cutting edge graphics and audio built using the Unreal Engine 3, inventive features and streamlined realism will deliver an unrivalled WWII experience.

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad will focus on the Battle of Stalingrad and the surrounding operations, both German and Russian, from July 1942 to February 1943. The game allows the player to experience one of the most brutal battles in all of human history. The game consists out of two campaigns – Red Army and German. Delivering unrivalled accuracy and attention to detail, along with gritty, vicious combat in multiplayer, co-op and solo modes the game will feature everything from quick, brutal firefights to more intricate and challenging simulation modes.

The developers have built upon their huge success with the last title and have added a slew of new features including:

RO multiplayer taken to new heights: In addition to the award winning Territory gametype from RO, all new gametypes such as Firefight and Countdown add greater diversity, replayability and fun.

Persistent Stats Tracking and Player Progression: Grow in rank, earn medals, improve abilities, and become a Hero – all visible to the complete online gaming community and embedded within the game.

Heroes: Obtain the ultimate goal and become a Hero online. Players with hero status inspire troops around them and cause fear in their enemies. Heroes have access to the best and rarest weapons and equipment, and will stand out visually from the rest of the soldiers.

Stalingrad Campaign: The Stalingrad campaign will feature the multiplayer maps used in a campaign layout recreating the battle for Stalingrad from both the German and Russian sides.

First person cover system: Experience the ultimate firefights that a cover system allows, from the immersion of a first person view. Peek or blind fire over and around cover and more.

Squad Command: Command fire teams on the battlefield using an easy to use first person interface.

WWII weaponry redefined: true to life ballistics, bullet penetration, breathing, adjustable sights, free aim, weapon bracing, photo-real graphics and more.

Co-op: Players can connect with their friends and battle the AI in multiple game types including the Stalingrad Campaign, Skirmish Mode, and more.

Morale: Experience what it is like to be a soldier in one of the bloodiest conflicts in history and the importance of a soldier’s state of mind and how it can turn the tide of battle.

Now before you say unlocks? Like COD? WTF?

This is what Ramm-Jaeger, the president of Tripwire Interactive had to say about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramm-Jaeger View Post
What I think is really funny is that everyone hears Hero system and player progression and all of the sudden every thinks "OMG COD". When in reality, COD has nothing remotely resembling the Hero system that will be in ROHOS, and even the player progression isn't even close. As WilsonAM said in another thread, have some faith people. TWI didn't get bought out by some big publisher for petes sake.

Picture it like this, lets say there was some weapon that was really rare in a battle, but you didn't want to hand that weapon out to every soldier on the battlefield. Wouldn't it be cool if there was a system where just a few (but not all) soldiers could use those really cool rare weapons from time to time? That is sure as heck more realistic than just having a whole bunch of them in the game.

I'm not going to go into detailing what exactly the Hero system is or how the player progression works. We've got to save some things for later, otherwise we've got no info to pass out as we go along in development (its called PR and working the press). Lets just say ROHOS is still a tactical shooter.

With that said I have no doubt that some of the features of ROHOS will have some of the "purest" whining that we've sold out. But frankly those are the same type of people that said we sold out when we added an overhead map back in the mod days ("Oh no they added an overhead map to RO, the game is ruined").

Last edited by [EC]DR.NOobFragger; 08-17-2009 at 01:19 AM..
Old 08-17-2009, 01:15 AM   #37
Chuc
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via MSN to Chuc Send a message via Skype™ to Chuc

I came.
If they can implement a good squad system then it seals the deal

Personal Folio - http://www.studioash.net
Chuc is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:29 PM   #38
gun.KingRat

Looks good. Not sure how I missed this game series.

I just picked the original up for $15, plus two expansion packs. Pretty fun so far.

gun.KingRat is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #39
SiN|ScarFace

1st person cover system sounds cool.

SiN|ScarFace is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:04 PM   #40
sparks50
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiN|ScarFace View Post
1st person cover system sounds cool.
Yes, I hope it will be somewhat like the Call of Juraez 2 cover system.

All in all, sounds fantastic. I also hope they will turn on their decision and add some zoom to the iron sights, to better represent the human eye.

-
sparks50 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
beta, game, heroes, live, night, orchestra, red, stalingrad