project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
29 Jul 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2009, 04:54 PM   #11
Feenan.

Default Re: New Meaning To Stupid!!

Well take some average values of a 9mm from wikipedia or wherever else - say 8 gram bullet goin 360 ms thats a momentum of 0.008 x 360 = 2.88 kgms^-1. Enough to knock a person over?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aficionado since 0.5
Old 04-07-2009, 05:55 PM   #12
waldo_ii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feenan. View Post
Well take some average values of a 9mm from wikipedia or wherever else - say 8 gram bullet goin 360 ms thats a momentum of 0.008 x 360 = 2.88 kgms^-1. Enough to knock a person over?
What? Waaay too confusing.

A 8-gram 9mm bullet has about 500 Joules of energy at muzzle velocity. This means you can push an 500-newton object one meter.

Assume he is a slightly-below average man at 180 pounds. 180 pounds, on earth, translates into 800 newtons of force.

The force of the bullet could not even cause him to move one meter. It would make him move 5/8ths of a meter, or about two feet.

If you factor in the balancing capabilities of the human body, the bracing for impact, air resistance on the bullet and the man, there is no way that he would be knocked down. Imagine that if you offered no resistance, you were pushed with enough force to move you two feet horizontally. Now imagine if you braced for that same impact, ready for it.

|TGXV| Waldo_II

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:10 PM   #13
[R-DEV]Spec
Lead Forum Moderator

Keep in mind the energy doesn't hit him on full body size but on a small piece of his body - where it does not move him, but instead moves the flesh that's in its way. Or the material of the vest. Or both...
Old 04-07-2009, 07:29 PM   #14
waldo_ii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec_Operator View Post
Keep in mind the energy doesn't hit him on full body size but on a small piece of his body - where it does not move him, but instead moves the flesh that's in its way. Or the material of the vest. Or both...
Well, in this case, most of the energy is being spread out over the front area of the kevlar, so the force is spread out throughout the entire front torso, granted more and more pressure as you get closer to the point of impact (due to the nature of kevlar). A small amount of energy was focused on the fine point where he was bleeding, just enough to penetrate the skin.

That is one of the reasons for body armor; besides just stopping the bullet, another purpose is to spread the impact over a larger area so it is easier to take.

|TGXV| Waldo_II

Old 04-07-2009, 07:37 PM   #15
[R-DEV]Spec
Lead Forum Moderator

Yes, of course. My point was just that the energy wouldn't move the body.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #16
waldo_ii

Oh, you were agreeing with me. I thought you were making a very bad point in arguing with me.

Alright... awkward... I feel like a douche.... I'll just, uh, hit the "Submit Reply" button here....

|TGXV| Waldo_II

Old 04-07-2009, 09:02 PM   #17
Sights

What I don't get is how they can be surprised that shooting someone from point blank range could possibly cause some injury. Can you be any more stupid? Oh wait, you could always put it on film, I guess...
Old 04-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #18
NYgurkha

funny thing is the shooter is following the four rules of gun safety and seems to know how to use a gun.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:08 PM   #19
ReadMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgurkha View Post
funny thing is the shooter is following the four rules of gun safety and seems to know how to use a gun.
RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

Well.. Maybe you're right.. He did shoot for the guy's heart.

-REad
Old 04-08-2009, 05:27 AM   #20
Axel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feenan. View Post
Sigh, what the other fellow said who proved you wrong, the desert eagle megaboom shot to the chest > person flying 100meters is a myth.

Both parts must be affected by the blast so if the guy who is firing flies 100m the person taking the hit will do the same, I think that's the theory.

If you come up with some lame excuse like 120mm against a man you must consider that a MBT weighs 40-60t. However the same rule goes for MBT against MBT battle, ever seen a tank flying away by a 120mm AP round?
Closed Thread

Tags
meaning, stupid