project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
18 Feb 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #461
burghUK

Default Re: Guitar Thread

i really wish i'd got music theory and proper lessons. I find myself able to do certain scales and not even know the name of them. I can play so many chords but can't give you the name of a note within 10 seconds on any string but the E.

Holding me back.
burghUK is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #462
hiberNative

Quote:
Originally Posted by burghUK View Post
i really wish i'd got music theory and proper lessons. I find myself able to do certain scales and not even know the name of them. I can play so many chords but can't give you the name of a note within 10 seconds on any string but the E.

Holding me back.
kinda agree when i see this. they know by nature instead of by heart.

F#m7b5
dr dorian
and a lot of stuff that has the name of prehistoric, geological periods.

Quote:
Hi Dries, I think it is absolutely necessary to learn some licks and combine them with your own playing, otherwise you will end up "doodling" along with the chord changes. All great guitarists have a certain amount of licks that they use in their playing. Most of the time it doesn?t sound like they are playing precomposed lines because the larger their "lick library" becomes the more they can vary their playing.

-
Last edited by hiberNative; 01-07-2013 at 06:47 PM..
Old 01-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #463
Delfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by burghUK View Post
If the motivation is there, you can learn out of a book without being able to read music. The library should have something that has something along the lines of "for the practicing musician", that should be helpful. I taught myself a lot of theory online and through some books, but it took 3 years for me to want to do it.

Free Guitar Lesson - TB-007 ? How To Find The Notes On The Guitar Neck
I'd check that site out. Lots of good, free lessons. He might not have one specifically for theory, but the link's a good start.

Also just got this recently. Gretch G6120 "Chet Atkins"
It's simply delightful for finger picking, and all of the chords sound so clear.
The ebony finger board & good craftsmanship make it a very fine instrument.
Delfer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #464
saXoni
Supporting Member

Just made a small tab for Jose Gonzalez' "Heartbeats" by looking at this tutorial:

Here's the "original" song.

Now I know there are tabs for the song out there, but the ones I found weren't as good as the tutorial I watched, and since watching tutorials over and over again is a pain in the ass I figured I might as well just make a tab!

Enjoy and play well!

EDIT: Just noticed I forgot to put in the 1st string on the two first parts, but it doesn't matter as it's not used at all.
Last edited by saXoni; 02-10-2013 at 10:06 PM..
Old 02-07-2014, 07:31 AM   #465
hiberNative

anyone been watching/following NAMM 14?
The NAMM Show 2014 | NAMM.org

after all the hype around electric guitar company / travis bean, i'm rather disappointed with the sound.

to me, they sound rather artificial, or maybe digital, especially on clear channel. or like the tone has been pulled back way too far.
some models sounded better than others, and i felt that had to do with them having a higher amount of wood.

2 of my favorite things so far are the new orange dual dark head and ballou (guitarist of converge) showing his own line of guitars.

-
Last edited by hiberNative; 02-07-2014 at 07:38 AM..
Old 02-07-2014, 08:16 AM   #466
GlaDi

GlaDi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:23 AM   #467
Careless

I've got a Mustang Pawn Shop Special, got my hands on it for only 350 euros (it's sold for about 800 euros)
With coil splitting. You can make it sound like a Tele, Strat, etc.. Quite interesting tone. About 15 different pickup settings.

Cons; I dislike the laquered neck and the rosewood fingerboard

One of those guitars. Hate it or love it.
I love it!
Bought it for about 200 euros and it rocks. It can handle most genres, very beautiful cleans, very fat distorted sound (which I like). It's a workhorse, everything that I can't get out of the Fender, I get out of this thing.

Beautiful neck and fingerboard. The radius almost doesn't change, so it's almost as thick at the first fret as it is at the 12th. The fingerboard is almost flat.

Cons; bad vobrato system which causes problems when restringing the guitar. Don't expect crazy dives from it.

Fender Excelsior.
I think this was a limited run.
Got it for like 200 euros. Sounds good distorted.
It has 3 inputs (guitar, mic, accordeon) which represent 3 different EQ and Tonal properties. Mic and accordeon are a little bit thinner tonal-wise.

Great tremelo, although I think it would be awesome to have a more advanced regulator for the deepness and speed.
A dark and bright tone switch.

Careless is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #468
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician
Supporting Member

Careless, We must have gotten in on the same deal. I bought a Fender Pawn Shop Jaguarillo in December, also cherry red. I so disliked the neck I sold it immediately.

BurghUK, related to music theory and proper training, out of my family in my generation , between myself, siblings and my cousins, the ONLY cousin to go pro as a musician is the cousin who had no proper training. Every single one of us who has truly proper musical training did not go into music, as we have several music professors and classically trained family members in the prior generation who literally burnt us out of ever wanting to be professional lifelong musicians. So yeah, it's really not THAT important if you put the time in and have the gift to pick up songs by ear.

That being said, he does pay for music lessons now to catch up on music theory.

My electric, 1995 Fernandes TE-2 Telecaster,

Last edited by [R-COM]LITOralis.nMd; 02-07-2014 at 11:51 AM..
Old 02-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #469
hiberNative

I'd like to sit down with a mustang, but those knobs and switches seem to be right in the "playing area". PRS does the coil splitting system pretty smooth.

-
hiberNative is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #470
Careless

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]LITOralis.nMd View Post
Careless, We must have gotten in on the same deal. I bought a Fender Pawn Shop Jaguarillo in December, also cherry red. I so disliked the neck I sold it immediately.
I considered sanding the back of it or buying a new neck.
But it's just.. something about it that just doesn't feel right.. in my hands atleast..
It's not the fact that it's smaller. Sharp edges?

It is, however, a versitaile guitar, but I had problems with it in live performance situations where you haven't got time to warm up or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiberNative View Post
I'd like to sit down with a mustang, but those knobs and switches seem to be right in the "playing area". PRS does the coil splitting system pretty smooth.
Well.. at the begining I had problems with hitting the pickup selector whenever playing or strumming hard. But now it happens seldom.

The coil-splitting knobs are fine and are easy to switch, but they're still very sturdy, so you can't have accidents with it.
It's not that you'll want to change them ten times in a song, even then, it's still easy

Last edited by Careless; 02-07-2014 at 01:29 PM..

Tags
12string, acoutic, badass, bass, beethoven, guitar, leves, loves, thread