project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
26 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2008, 09:04 PM   #1
mp5punk
Banned

Default Need help Choosing new parts for comp

Well its that time of year again, Christmas. I have a 100 dollar gift card to new egg, and a bit of extra money i would say i have a price range up to 350 dollars. I need some advice that could help me choose some new parts for an upgrade on my comp. I also need it able to fit in my case, I have an AMD 64 athlon processor. 2 gigs of ram, radeon 9800 pro graphics card, ATI motherboard. I think that's all i know atm so ya just leave what i should get.
mp5punk is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
[T]blackflybro88

Send a message via AIM to [T]blackflybro88
Default Re: Need help Choosing new parts for comp

well im thinking about getting a blu ray player since i got a nice screen but thats me.
well if your your looking for new video card i got a ati 4870 witch is a great card i would recommend it to any one its pretty cheap too

and a new screen is always nice
Newegg.com - Acer P243WAid Black-Silver 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor with HDCP Support 400 cd/m2 3000:1 ACM - LCD Monitors

you could also up grade your sound
Newegg.com - ASUS Xonar D2X 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express Interface Sound Card - Sound Cards
or
Newegg.com - Logitech Z-4 40 watts 2.1 Speaker - Speakers

its all about what you need so if you are having performace issues with games that you can put up hear im sure people can help you out on what you should get

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

[T]blackflybro88 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:28 PM   #3
mp5punk
Banned

Thanks, my screen is fairly new and sound could probably use an upgrade but im looking for something that will enhance my filming with fraps, and frame rate and graphics.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
SocketMan

Your system is using the AGP for the video so getting a new video card
would be a bit of a problem since the industry switched to the PCIe interface.

You can still buy a new AGP card but it would cost you more then a PCIe card
and there are only a few choices (for AGP)

I can only suggest that you keep your PC as it is now and think about getting
a new motherboard/RAM/CPU/Video

The only parts from your old rig that would work on any new system would be:
Hard disk/CD-DVD/Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse/Sound card (unless it's integrated sound)
SocketMan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:09 PM   #5
mp5punk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocketMan View Post
I can only suggest that you keep your PC as it is now and think about getting
a new motherboard/RAM/CPU/Video

Thats what i am planning on doing. But i need to know what parts of those things would be good to get.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:24 AM   #6
[T]blackflybro88

well my setup is this

cpu
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Wolfdale 3.33GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
mobo
Newegg.com - ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
video
Newegg.com - VisionTek 900244 Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

i get around 100-120 fps i don't really ever use fraps so i couldn't tell you how that is but if you want to go on the cheaper side and still pull off good fps
cpu
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 Wolfdale 2.66GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
or
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 Wolfdale 2.66GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

mobo
Newegg.com - ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
or
Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

video
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
or
Newegg.com - MSI R4850-512M Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

if you pick one of ech they should all come out around your budget

Member of
|

Old 12-23-2008, 11:53 AM   #7
mp5punk
Banned

Thanks ill look into it.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:19 PM   #8
Bamboo

With prices as good as they are now, if you could go up to about $500 you could do a really good MB/CPU/RAM/GPU upgrade, though you will probably need a PSU upgrade as well.

I have helped a few TG guys build a rig just like this and they are very happy:

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

This combo deal with p5q mb and e8400 CPU
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
(that combo will save you $20, plus you get the rebate from the mb as well)

And then just get a gfx card like a 4850:
HIS Hightech H485QT512P Radeon HD 4850
I would get one with a good dual slot aftermarket cooler like the one in the link. Review after review points out how much better those do at both sound and keeping temps down.

Bamboo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:47 PM   #9
space
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp5punk View Post
Thanks, my screen is fairly new and sound could probably use an upgrade but im looking for something that will enhance my filming with fraps, and frame rate and graphics.
Listen to Mr Bamboo. I have the set up he recommends (except lower cpu - but it oc'ed)

A couple of days ago I recorded a 10min clip using fraps on full screen capture at 1920x1200 - highest details - on a highly detailed and vegetated map PR map, and the fps didnt drop below 60 - the file came to just under 70gb - it was like my pc didnt even notice fraps.
space is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:06 PM   #10
[T]blackflybro88

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanc View Post
Listen to Mr Bamboo.
yes disregard everything i said and listen to somebody else

Member of
|

Tags
choosing, comp, parts