project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
28 Jul 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2006, 10:46 PM   #1
lonelyjew

Default Argh my graphics card burned out

So I was playing prmm earlier today and my graphics card overheated. I let it cool down, I got on again. Same thing. Then finally, I smelled smoke and I turned of my computer imidiatly. I let it cool down and I took it out to inspect it. I found the problem, small chip had burned up a bit. It doesn't work at all and thankfully I have my crap 5200 to fall back on.

The card was overclocked when I bought it so I thought it would be made with proper cooling, I guess I was wrong.

Right now I'm waiting on my damn phone and am on hold waiting for an answer from their tech support. Thankfully I still have all my things, and I have all the purchase info backed up on my comp. Looks like I'm out of commision for a bit. I'll try to set all to low again, but even still the game was nearly unbearable before.

I'd better get a replacement soon.
lonelyjew is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:55 PM   #2
lonelyjew

The crap songs they are playing and the annoying voice saying "your call is important to us, please continue hold and your call will be answered the next available agent" are getting old fast. I really hope I'm not going to wait too much longer.

Has anyone here had to deal with this problem before? How did you go about it? I jsut want ot get my comp running back to what it was a few hours ago asap.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:31 PM   #3
Malum

Dont tell them it was clocked, play super dumb, and repeat "I have NO idea why it just burned up, I dont even PLAY GAMES I was just surfing the INTERNET, I AM SUPER PISSED!!!"

Got it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Malum is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:44 PM   #4
lonelyjew

The card has "overclocked" written right on it, I don't think I can pull that off. I did play it dumb, but I guess maybe I shouldn't have said it happened while playing a game....

Still though, I don't think I violated an part of the warranty.

Techinically, if the card overheated due to overclocking it's their faulty construction right?
Old 03-06-2006, 12:05 AM   #5
Zantetsuken

well if its factory/mfg overclocked you cant really be liable for it (unless you OCed it MORE)

what model card is it anyway? most 6800 oc to the max I see on newegg are more expensive and from what I've seen spec wise lower performance than 7800 gt's - I think I've seen oc'ed 6800s for about 350 to 400 while 7800 gt's for about 300 to 400...

I am Zantetsuken the steel bladed sword
My Slashdot sig: "I'll switch back to IE when MS makes Windows open-source"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. AMEN
-motto of the Hellsing family in the anime "Hellsing"
Zantetsuken is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 12:49 AM   #6
Tacamo

Depends on the company, some are very tolerant of accidents related OCing a card. EVGA is one of them, there's others that you don't want them knowing it was related to OCing.
Tacamo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:08 AM   #7
dawdler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacamo
Depends on the company, some are very tolerant of accidents related OCing a card. EVGA is one of them, there's others that you don't want them knowing it was related to OCing.
But if it was a factory OC version they are responsible for the cooling solution if it fails. There are many cards that come like this now a days, the "extreme", "oc", "gold" versions etc.
dawdler is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:17 PM   #8
lonelyjew

I just got through with them on the phone and the guy was surprisingly straight forward. He didn't even ask how it burned out, only if I was present when it happened. He also said that it would simply be replaced soon after it arrived to them and I would recieve a new one.

There is only one problem though, he failed to tell me where to send it to, I'll have to call them again....
Old 03-06-2006, 08:45 PM   #9
[R-DEV]TheRealFritz
Server Administrator
Supporting Member

Ask for an RMA number, too.

[R-DEV]TheRealFritz is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
argh, burned, card, graphics