project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
19 Dec 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
ChaosSound
Default My idea for a rifle/sniper Scope.

Well it's quite a confusing idea and it may not be possible but it's an interesting idea I thought of one night while i was in bed.
First of all it's what I would call an AAAMS ( Advanced Auto-Adjusted Marksman Scope)

The idea behind it is a scope that adjusts the crosshair inside of the scope itself depending on range,angle,height and windspeed. It's a very advanced idea I know and like I said probly completely impossible but itd be a neat idea.

Basicly Using a laser range finder the range is calculated inside of a tiny CPU in the scope which then it obtains the windspeed though vents on the sides of the scope using flapper type things which calulate it's rotations and then approximate the windspeed.

After those two steps are done the inside of the scope will adjust itself. A small mechanism inside would move around the X and Y values of the crosshair so that you know EXACTLY where the bullet will go depending on the varibles provided by the computer.

This would allow for EXTREME marksmanship capabilities and would rule out almost any chance of a sniper missing an important shot due to user error in calculations of varible windspeed and range approximations. Give me your ideas but please keep flaming out. I know it's almost completely impossible aswell as crazy but it's just somethign I was thinking about while I was laying in my bed like I said.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Server status: Up and running!
ChaosSound is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
Harrod200

Default Re: My idea for a rifle/sniper Scope.

Sounds like a possible but VERY complex system that REMFs would drool over, and grunts would detest. Anything overly complex like that is bound to be more trouble than it's worth in the field.

The original gun freak gaymer geek

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Harrod200 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
jackal22

one thing though, if the flaps for the wind speed were located on the rifle that would mean that the shooter would have to be exposed to the same 'open-ness' as the target.

IE. say the shooters on the edge of a forest, say 300m (or what ever usual target distances are)to target, which is lets say playing golf out on a golf course.

1) the range finder would work perfectly
2) the wind speed would be well off, if the shooter was in the woods, the trees would act like a wind break, the open golf course would be open to all manner of wind currents.

One more point say the shooter was on a different elevation, but a large one IE. hill to valley, the range finder would give the direst distance to target but wouldnt you need an altimiter and the altitude of the target to calculate the drop on it? no idea just thinking aloud...

jackal22 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
Jordanb716

I've thought of this idea as well. It seems to me that the wind direction thingy would need to be dropped or redone but the height difference problem could be easily fixed with something to measure the scoped angle. You might even be able to make it auto-lead a target with a gyroscope or something to measure when the shooter is adjusting to follow a target.

Colonelcool: I'd gladly pony up some tax dollars to send a JDAM over there just to kill that rooster.
OkitaMakoto: Talking squad level tactics in bed is actually a little known aphrodisiac.
Jigsaw: saying "lock please" accomplishes just about the square root of fuck all
Jordanb716 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:42 PM   #5
Teek
Supporting Member

they kinda have that already
Barrett Rifles
there is a more complicated gps laser rangefinder thingy out there too.

Teek is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:47 AM   #6
Gaz
PR Retrobate
Supporting Member

2 issues that leap out. Currently us snipers are sneaky gits. Snipers are well trained in judging distances, so that if no LRF is available, they can still make the shot and get a first round kill. Putting the wrong range into the sight will deny this. Anyway, I digress from the point. Laser Range Finders are seperate from the weapon system for 2 reasons. They can affect the harmonics of the weapon, and the natural balance of the weapon goes scwee-wiff. The other reason is that LRFs are seperate is that a LRF gives off a laser. If en forces have the capability of detecting this, you suddenly lose the covert part of your job. So it's the sniper team's call on the ground to use it or not.

The other thing is wind. Wind speed from a final fire position is usually different from that around your target, due to the ranges we engage up to. You need to take into account movement of natural materials near the target's location too. As said before, if your FFP is in a tree line, you need to remember that your propsed method would be in effect, useless and you'd have to revert to good old judgement. Which is where experience is king, not technology

*CURRENTLY AFK - MIL STUFF*

"By profession I am a
, and take pride in that fact. But I am prouder, infinitely prouder, to be a father". - Gen Douglas MacAurthur.
-Proud wearer of motorcycle helmets since 1998.
Gaz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:39 PM   #7
Masaq
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Masaq

You can snipe with a Javelin?

"That's how it starts, Mas, with that warm happy feeling inside. Pretty soon you're rocking in the corner, a full grown dog addict, wondering where your next St Bernand is coming from..." - IAJTHOMAS
"Did they say what he's angry about?" asked Annette Mitchell, 77, of the district, stranded after seeing a double feature of "Piranha 3D" and "The Last Exorcism." -

Masaq is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:57 PM   #8
OiSkout

There is a simple solution: lasers.

Sigless.
OiSkout is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:57 PM   #9
Morgan

King Leonidas can, so why not King Gaz?

RL HAT sniping as well... Ah beautiful.

Morgan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:03 AM   #10
Gaz
PR Retrobate
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-MOD]Masaq View Post
You can snipe with a Javelin?
Can a sniper with an L96A1 hit a taleban target 3200m away, even though on paper the system's effective range is 2500m? We can I wasn't always an anti-tanker ya know.....

/pulls up stool and starts with "Once upon a time..."

*CURRENTLY AFK - MIL STUFF*

"By profession I am a
, and take pride in that fact. But I am prouder, infinitely prouder, to be a father". - Gen Douglas MacAurthur.
-Proud wearer of motorcycle helmets since 1998.
Gaz is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
idea, rifle or sniper, scope