project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
24 Jul 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2008, 05:37 PM   #21
[R-DEV]OkitaMakoto
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to [R-DEV]OkitaMakoto Send a message via MSN to [R-DEV]OkitaMakoto Send a message via Skype™ to [R-DEV]OkitaMakoto

Meh.

I loved Raven Shield [and later Athena Sheild] Rainbow Six titles, but after those, they just got really lame and way overdone... Rogue Spear was where it was at, but Raven Shield upped the graphics, added visible guns, etc. and was just total hard core awesome.

Also, Ghost Recon 1 for PC was AMAZING! I remember it was my dream for a rainbow six to be more military based... zomg, that first mission I was so scared but hopped up on adrenaline... That game was a work of art. The only bad things I remember were the crappy almost static vehicles[only moved along their preset waypoints the mission declared] and... well... i dont know... Not enough Nigel Tunney was the only other bad thing, god he rocked!

The newest Ghost Recons are puke, I cant stand them. Theyre so limited and crappy. I want the next Ghost Recon to be a vast map of forests/villages that has you do SOMEWHAT realistic things, not lone wolfing a map to blow up 20 hinds and then a tank column... i like SOME believability to my games... The last one to have an m4 or m16 was GR2 and that one was...mediocre. The first GR had great weapons that are currently in use, not all these specialized concept leet m8/SCAR/whatevers... Sure, include them please, but at least let me have a good old m16, right????

"[An intelligence officer is] an instrument of his country, an observer and reporter of information."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[R-DEV]OkitaMakoto is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:15 PM   #22
Clypp

Send a message via AIM to Clypp Send a message via MSN to Clypp

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]OkitaMakoto View Post
The first GR had great weapons that are currently in use, not all these specialized concept leet m8/SCAR/whatevers... Sure, include them please, but at least let me have a good old m16, right????
How did you forget the OICW?

OGR is one of my top 3 favorite games ever. It was fricken perfect. I am still astonished that nobody ever bothered to follow in its footsteps. GRAW sure didn't.
Clypp is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:21 PM   #23
[R-DEV]OkitaMakoto
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to [R-DEV]OkitaMakoto Send a message via MSN to [R-DEV]OkitaMakoto Send a message via Skype™ to [R-DEV]OkitaMakoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clypp View Post
How did you forget the OICW?

OGR is one of my top 3 favorite games ever. It was fricken perfect. I am still astonished that nobody ever bothered to follow in its footsteps. GRAW sure didn't.
The OICW was for like 2 guys though, every standard soldier carried an m16/m4 in that game.
Not to mention it had the "SA80" carried by Mr. Nigel Tunney

And yes, one of my top 5 games of all time.

lol, bio i found on Nigel Tunney from OGR & Desert Siege
Quote:
Sgt. Nigel Tunney
Quote:
"You! Hold my pint while I get the satchel charges. Yes, of course I'm kidding, you stupid bastard - you think I'd trust you with the beer?"
History
Born September 11, 1980, in Thorpe Salvin, Yorkshire. Working-class upbringing. Father (Ian) ran a petrol station, mother (Isobel) taught preschool. Father served in British Army 1974-1978; saw duty in Northern Ireland. Frequently in trouble with school and legal authorities. Cited for shoplifting, vandalism and other minor offenses repeatedly. Excelled in chemistry in school. Was expelled (1997) for prank gone wrong which resulted in demolition of school's chemistry laboratory and slight injuries to two teachers. Enlisted shortly thereafter. Natural aptitude for explosives became obvious during basic training. Was assigned to EOD and served with distinction. Disciplined several times for "unconventional approach." Recruited by SAS in 2001 and trained in demolitions. Defused ULA-planted explosives at Gatwick in 2004 and won national acclaim; later used [over strenuous objections] in recruiting campaign as "the face of the new army." Attached to Ghosts in 2005.

Nigel Tunney threatens to quit approximately once every three weeks. He is loud, brash, and as much of a free spirit as a member of SAS dares to be. On one memorable occasion, he reported after leave with his hair dyed bright pink. Tunney parties hard but works harder, and constantly keeps one eye on his father's service record as a benchmark for his own achievements. He is gregarious, aggressively friendly, and rarely takes "no" for an answer. When working, he is absolutely meticulous, and all traces of his off-duty persona disappear, except for the predilection for peppering every sentence with profanity. Tunney is a die-hard Blackburn Rovers fan, and defends the side's honor more aggressively than he defends his own.

"[An intelligence officer is] an instrument of his country, an observer and reporter of information."

Last edited by [R-DEV]OkitaMakoto; 03-24-2008 at 07:26 PM..
Old 03-24-2008, 07:31 PM   #24
BloodBane611
Supporting Member

I tired of Tom Clancy games quickly. I played original RB6, and it was just a little bit too tactical for my 10 year old self. So to be honest I'm not that bothered by this.

[R-CON]creepin - "because on the internet 0=1"

BloodBane611 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:25 PM   #25
Eddie Baker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clypp View Post
It promises to build a tactical shooter that follows in the footsteps of the original Ghost Recon. The mantra for the studio is, "Do not build your community around a game.... Build your game around a community"

They are, unfortunately, secretive about how the game is coming along due to not being picked up by a publisher yet. Apparently Codemasters was considering it but decided the game was too similar to OFP2 and did not want to put too many eggs in the tactical shooter basket. There are a few screenshots (renders?) in the member's only forum though, along with some newsletters.

I look forward to it, I think everyone who enjoyed the old Tom Clancy games back in the day hope for an updated replacement.

Project Reality is pimped in their forums every once in a while so I know there are more crossover fans than me, although I have not seen any mention of the game here.
Not sure how its going to play, though. Those Ground Branch guys do more than just move and shoot, they are also trained in tradecraft, evasive driving and other spook-tastic things. If they don't include the espionage aspect, I think they will be selling themselves short, but some things are very hard to to include in a game and make it fun.

I grew tired of Tom Clancy books when I was in high school (didn't read any others after Without Remorse and the first Op Center), and most things with his name attached were mediocre until the R6 series of games. Rogue Spear was a great improvement in game-play over the original R6, but I thought there were a greater variety of and more interesting maps in the original. After Raven Shield I haven't played any of the others, even Athena Sword.

I'll reserve judgement until I see what they do because I think a military / espionage MMO would be great if done right, though I still prefer paper-and-dice RPGs.
Eddie Baker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:23 AM   #26
terenz
Send a message via MSN to terenz

Im really excited to see Age of Conan come out. Really seems like they nailed next-gen MMOs. Though with so many of them, i think it winds up to what your taste is.

Gametrailers.com - Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures: Reviews, Trailers, and Interviews
Age of Conan - Hyborian Adventures
terenz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:21 AM   #27
SiN|ScarFace

The realistic anything software market has gone from the first child to the redheaded step child. Its not just Tactical shooters it's, racing and Mil flight sim too that used to have all kinds of good stuff released frequently to nothing released that is realistic.

This sure as hell won't be realistic.

SiN|ScarFace is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #28
Lothrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiN|ScarFace View Post
The realistic anything software market has gone from the first child to the redheaded step child.
Blame marketing and accountants with the purse strings - their idea that we are all some sub species below them that cannot handle things other than pretty colours and simple shapes. If we are extra lucky, we get a gold star for doing well.

Oh how I would like to open the curtains in their office so they can see, once upon a time, we stopped being monkeys and managed to build a civilisation outside - and therefore can deal with things more complicated than cartoon Tetris of timescale .5.

/rant over
Lothrian is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #29
SiN|ScarFace

Lowest common dumbass is the target of a marketing department.

SiN|ScarFace is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
clancy, fallen, mmo, tom