project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
26 Jul 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2008, 03:25 PM   #41
DeePsix
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teek View Post
I dislike the CoS because it is as plausible as Star Wars.
x2

That and the fact they defend their beliefs by insulting the credibility or the beliefs of the person questioning them. There is a line between religions and cults, and this by far fits into cult territory.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PR Testing Team: Serious Business.
[R-DEV]LeadMagnet: I guess that's what you get when an Irishman drinks light beer.....bad advice.
[R-DEV]dbzao:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DeePsix is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:37 PM   #42
Lothrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeePsix View Post
There is a line between religions and cults

Only one ... size.
Lothrian is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:05 PM   #43
DeePsix
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothrian View Post
Only one ... size.
The acts of idea suppression, withholding of medication and medical help, required monetary donations and forced physical exploitation or extreme isolation, along with its totalitarianism and violations of fundamental human rights clearly define the Church of Scientology as a cult.

Other than the surface definitions of religion or cults, do not expand this into a religious argument so the mods and the AWS can frying people

[R-DEV]LeadMagnet: I guess that's what you get when an Irishman drinks light beer.....bad advice.
[R-DEV]dbzao:
DeePsix is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:23 PM   #44
jackal22

i hate their secrecy, if they were completely 100% open like other major religions then there would not be that much of an issue apart from the beliefs are wack. oh and they need to ditch the whole money charging membership thing they got going, its no t a religion its a scam thats why i hate it.

lol there are some prank calls on the net about scientology churches getting rick rolled and bel aired

jackal22 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:58 PM   #45
Lothrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeePsix View Post
The acts of idea suppression, withholding of medication and medical help, required monetary donations and forced physical exploitation or extreme isolation, along with its totalitarianism and violations of fundamental human rights clearly define the Church of Scientology as a cult.
Ummm, every single on of those can be attributed to the major religions. Perhaps not forcing of money (almost certain in the past 1000 years they have been guilty of this though), but the rest 100%, and all of them in the past 30 years. Its honestly just size. The reason is very good. Religion itself is not evil, but it holds incredible power. Power corrupts, and by nature we are selfish evil bastards anyway. The larger the religion, the more dangerous. Its purely because of the people.
Lothrian is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:16 PM   #46
DeePsix
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothrian View Post
Ummm, every single on of those can be attributed to the major religions. Perhaps not forcing of money (almost certain in the past 1000 years they have been guilty of this though), but the rest 100%, and all of them in the past 30 years. Its honestly just size. The reason is very good. Religion itself is not evil, but it holds incredible power. Power corrupts, and by nature we are selfish evil bastards anyway. The larger the religion, the more dangerous. Its purely because of the people.
I'm referring to religions today. In almost all religions (disregarding country of origin, literacy, and government polices - Ceteris paribus) in the world you are free to read any books and watch any movie you want. You are not forced to work at various "offices", as you can work there at your own will. You do not have to pay money to know about the belief systems of the religions, most of them will freely explain their beliefs if asked. Most world religions allow you to live and work where ever you wish and come and go as you wish. And most religions allow you to see doctors and take medicine when you are sick - whether it be from a virus or it being a psychological disorder. The CoS takes religious aspects and skews them into the definition of a cult.

I will agree with you that with great power usually comes greed and corruption. It is fundamental flaw within humanity.

[R-DEV]dbzao:
Last edited by DeePsix; 01-28-2008 at 12:23 AM..
Old 01-28-2008, 10:34 PM   #47
solodude23

Send a message via AIM to solodude23 Send a message via Yahoo to solodude23

Some further info on Scientology for those that are generally unfamiliar with it.

The truth about Scientology, a religion (cult) created by science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard. Some videos below if you're interested in knowing the truth about it. Of course this is only a few videos and a small amount of information, and you can go on and find many more yourself.

-Southpark (What Scientologists truly believe)
-The Story of OTIII (Adds on to the Southpark info)
-The Un-funny Truth about scientology
-The Un-Funny Sequel about Scientology
-Crazy Scientologists

As the second video stated, they believe that if you become a Scientologist and take very expensive "audit" (self-improvement) classes then you can eventually take the thetan (alien soul) out of your human body and become free. If it does not work, you re-take the audit courses. Eventually, after you are completley free of the thetan you will be able to have certain powers, like controlling things with your mind.

I personally don't think the reason to dislike them is because of their insane Sci-Fi belief's though, its because of their true criminal acts that have flourished throughout time. This includes the way they treat those who do not completley support them. Many people have died 'mysteriously' shortly after taking a stand against Scientology. Even some who simply try to leave the church of Scientology may not only be blackmailed through information they have about the people, but harm as well. Multiple people have gone bankrupt off this cult in the past because of the brainwashing they do to you to make you believe you must pay for audits and donate tons to become a free being.

Please correct me if I am wrong about any of the above. Feel free to add any information of videos.

Additionally, the "Scientology Kills" Myspace group can be found here for those interested. There are Facebook ones as well.

Also, "Honk if you hate Scientology" Rally in Orlando. Made me grin.
Last edited by solodude23; 01-28-2008 at 11:04 PM..

Tags
anonymous, power, scientology, turned