project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
22 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2008, 02:41 PM   #21
jackal22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickbond592 View Post
look at the amount of comments removed due to Scientology lawsuits
XD

makes them look so guilty doesnt it


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jackal22 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:08 PM   #22
Ecko
Supporting Member

Ecko's Avatar
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickbond592 View Post
look at the amount of comments removed due to Scientology lawsuits
It's precisely that attitude that makes them a cult and not a religion.

Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Muslim, even some of the smaller religions such as pagans, never rely upon legal action to remove someones opinion. All of these religions charge nothing and are just there to support you.

Scientology makes me sick, they charge people and pretty much just attract the mentally unstable. A Shrink or "Decent" religion would sort 'em out.

I'm a Atheist, but I personally think most religions are good, some people need a belief, I personally don't. But pfeh, Scientology.... RANT RANT RANT RANT!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AKA Ecko1987
Beep-Beep-Beep.
Ecko is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:35 PM   #23
Lothrian
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecko View Post
A Shrink or "Decent" religion would sort 'em out.

I'm a Atheist, but I personally think most religions are good, some people need a belief, I personally don't. But pfeh, Scientology.... RANT RANT RANT RANT!
Ummmm, you are aware compared to religions, scientology is as harmless as believing in fairies, fate and dragons. Sure, its a financial scam, but hasn't been the cause of genocide, war or murder (yet).

There is the age old argument that its people that do this (except when their religion makes it clear in writing, ie the walls of Jericho), and not the religion, but the same can be said for cults. In essence, if people are responsible, it makes the cult harmless and voids any dislike you can have for said cult.

I say voids any dislike you can have, because if one was a supporter of religion, because the scientology belief is so ludicrous many assign them to the crazy bin. No one asks themselves what proof theirs has over scientology. The answer genuinely is none.
By pointing and laughing, it is because the cult is seen as a threat to others blind belief. There is an intolerance for anything not 'official' and 'socially accepted', which is basically oppression for an extremely minor belief.

As an example. Scientology believes that we were all once aliens, sent here a long time ago. On the otherhand, the pope used to believe the Earth was flat ... and that is genuinely true. Not only that, he also publicly believed the persecution of scientists a few centuries ago, even though now proved correct, was the just and right thing to do.
Which is more nut job? The guy who disregards hind sight and fact, or the guy taken in by a charismatic cult?

As an atheist, I find it more balanced to say, some people need a belief, many abuse it, and more just tag along to fit in.

Its harmless compared to the big names out there (Christianity, Islam, Judaism), but look at the uproar.
Lothrian is offline
Last edited by Lothrian; 01-22-2008 at 08:42 PM..
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:44 PM   #24
Gyberg

Gyberg's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecko View Post
Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Muslim, even some of the smaller religions such as pagans, never rely upon legal action to remove someones opinion. All of these religions charge nothing and are just there to support you.
Ever heard of the witchhunts? Ever heard of Galileo Galilei? Google him and get back to me... Sorry but almost all the major religions either rely or have relied on a legal system.

As for the scientologists.... well.. it's just silly.... sad but silly


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anthony Lloyd, himself a former soldier in the British army and a Northern Ireland and Gulf War veteran:
"The men inside (the APC) might have been UN but they were playing by a completely different set of rules. They were Swedes; in terms of individual intelligence, integrity and single-mindedness I was to find them among the most impressive soldiers I had ever encountered. In Vares their moment had come."
Gyberg is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:02 PM   #25
NYgurkha

NYgurkha's Avatar
Default

lol those comments that say [removed due to Scientology] are just written that way by the posters. Those silly 4channers.

/cant wait for Fox and Co. to butcher this news.
NYgurkha is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:29 PM   #26
ArmedDrunk&Angry
Banned

ArmedDrunk&Angry's Avatar
Default

Quote:
All of these religions charge nothing and are just there to support you.

When I read that, I thought of this.......

THE CATHOLIC DOG

Muldoon lived alone in the Irish countryside with only a pet dog for company. One day the dog died, and Muldoon went to the parish priest and asked, "Father, me dog is dead. Could ya' be sayin' a mass for the poor creature?"

Father Patrick replied, "I'm afraid not; we cannot have services for an animal in the church. But there are some Baptists down the lane, and there's no tellin' what they believe. Maybe they'll do something for the creature."

Muldoon said, "I'll go right away Father. Do ya' think $5,000 is enough to donate to them for the service?"

Father Patrick exclaimed, "Sweet Mary, Mother of Jesus!

Why didn’t ya tell me the dog was Catholic?
ArmedDrunk&Angry is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:55 PM   #27
Ecko
Supporting Member

Ecko's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothrian View Post
Ummmm, you are aware compared to religions, scientology is as harmless as believing in fairies, fate and dragons. Sure, its a financial scam, but hasn't been the cause of genocide, war or murder (yet).

In essence it's harmless, but it's application is what makes it dangerous. Causing people to go bankrupt over a belief is just silly.
Yes, it hasn't caused Genocide, war or murder... but in it's few years of existance it's already cause a lot of damage, the same can't be said for the established religions. (That we know of)


There is the age old argument that its people that do this (except when their religion makes it clear in writing, ie the walls of Jericho), and not the religion, but the same can be said for cults. In essence, if people are responsible, it makes the cult harmless and voids any dislike you can have for said cult.

Agreed for the most part... it's the leaders of the religion/cult that influence peoples actions, from the actions so far by the church of Scientology we can see it's going down a dark path.

I say voids any dislike you can have, because if one was a supporter of religion, because the scientology belief is so ludicrous many assign them to the crazy bin. No one asks themselves what proof theirs has over scientology. The answer genuinely is none.
By pointing and laughing, it is because the cult is seen as a threat to others blind belief. There is an intolerance for anything not 'official' and 'socially accepted', which is basically oppression for an extremely minor belief.

It's not there beliefs that I question, although it's easier to judge theres since it's new and we hold all the information on the founder. A sci-fiction writer...
Saying that, Jesus Christ, Moses, ect. Could have been writers... but because details about them have been lost over the years we will never know. For that reason the established religions will never get so much flack for there beliefs.


As an example. Scientology believes that we were all once aliens, sent here a long time ago. On the otherhand, the pope used to believe the Earth was flat ... and that is genuinely true. Not only that, he also publicly believed the persecution of scientists a few centuries ago, even though now proved correct, was the just and right thing to do.
Which is more nut job? The guy who disregards hind sight and fact, or the guy taken in by a charismatic cult?

Actually they believe alien souls attached themselves to ours :P.
Indeed he did, but Christianity didn't start off with charging money, saying that it did later on make donations almost enforced via shock tactics. I return to my point that Scientology has started off with charging money, you would think it would have learnt from all the other religions mistakes.

My response in bold

As for it being less dangerous than the major religions, not really...
You gotta think, they are a lot bigger, you are going to get some nut jobs who read the texts different to the majority, as for crusades and so on. At that point we were still young in our social development. There would be an outcry if 1 county was to go to war with another over religion.

Example would be Nazi Germany killing the Jews, look what happened there.


I see your point... but, Scientology has got off on the wrong foot, there foundations are very murky, the whole church would have to change for it too lose it's bad reputation.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AKA Ecko1987
Beep-Beep-Beep.
Ecko is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:00 PM   #28
Ecko
Supporting Member

Ecko's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyberg View Post
Ever heard of the witchhunts? Ever heard of Galileo Galilei? Google him and get back to me... Sorry but almost all the major religions either rely or have relied on a legal system.

As for the scientologists.... well.. it's just silly.... sad but silly
Name a major case in the last 5 years. The only thing I can think off is a teacher naming a bear Mohamed. Which to be fair was in bad taste.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AKA Ecko1987
Beep-Beep-Beep.
Ecko is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:09 AM   #29
Teek
Supporting Member

Teek's Avatar
Default

I wish Anom could do this for Fox news. (however unlikely that is)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Teek is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:02 AM   #30
Gyberg

Gyberg's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecko View Post
Name a major case in the last 5 years. The only thing I can think off is a teacher naming a bear Mohamed. Which to be fair was in bad taste.
Almost every western state has a legal system that has it's foundations in christianity. It might have evolved but the foundation is in many cases christian values, i.e. the ten commandments.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anthony Lloyd, himself a former soldier in the British army and a Northern Ireland and Gulf War veteran:
"The men inside (the APC) might have been UN but they were playing by a completely different set of rules. They were Swedes; in terms of individual intelligence, integrity and single-mindedness I was to find them among the most impressive soldiers I had ever encountered. In Vares their moment had come."
Gyberg is offline Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
anonymous, power, scientology, turned
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:33 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin. ©vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
All Content Copyright ©2004 - 2014, Project Reality.