project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
31 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
DeePsix
Supporting Member

Default Do you own a firearm?

Hello Everyone,

Just got back a few hours ago from the gun range. My buddies and I rented a nice Springfield XD .45ACP. Since I'm 20, I've got a little less than a year left until I can buy a handgun according to Texas law.

I've always wanted to get a Colt 1911 when I reached 21. If I had to get one I would want one as similar as possible to one still used by military or police organizations. The problem I have is I don't know which model would fit that. Would it be 1911 Colt 70 Series or something like like the 80 series XSE. If anyone can shed some light of this, please help me out. Point me to some vendors and sources for reading!

But anyways, The Colt 1911 isn't the only weapon I'm looking at. I was wondering if anyone else here owned a firearm.

If so, could you tell me:
A) What firearm do you own
B) How long have you owned it and has it given you any problems
C) How do you like it? Would you have gotten something else instead?
D) --OPTIONAL-- How much did it cost you

Any input on my situation is appreciated, but feel free to simply post about your firearm.

Thanks!
~DeePsix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PR Testing Team: Serious Business.
[R-DEV]LeadMagnet: I guess that's what you get when an Irishman drinks light beer.....bad advice.
[R-DEV]dbzao:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DeePsix is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
bosco_
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I would, if I could

Gun laws in Germany make it hard, though

bosco_ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
DeePsix
Supporting Member

And I wish I could have one of Germany's G36C's or G36K's...

Stupid assault rifle laws...but it's for the better.

[R-DEV]LeadMagnet: I guess that's what you get when an Irishman drinks light beer.....bad advice.
[R-DEV]dbzao:
Old 01-19-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
A-10Warthog
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to A-10Warthog Send a message via MSN to A-10Warthog Send a message via Skype™ to A-10Warthog

i got lots.cost me alot. alotta fun.

A-10, EX PR Tester, Moderator, Public Relations.

from [R-DEV]CodeRedFox: "Fixing bugs creates more bugs"
A-10Warthog is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
Wasteland

No sir, officer.

Originally Posted by: ArmedDrunk&Angry
we don't live in your fantastical world where you are the super hero sent to release us all from the bondage of ignorance
Originally Posted by: [R-MOD]dunehunter
don't mess with wasteland, a scary guy will drag you into an alleyway and rape you with a baseballbat
Wasteland is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:41 PM   #6
[R-DEV]Ninja2dan
PR:BF2 Developer

All of the units I was in were all issued the M9. When I wasn't in the field I was usually the assistant Company/Battery armorer. We usually kept about 30 or so M9 in our inventory, but no .45's. I did see a few units with them, but from my understanding a majority of those were actually personally-owned weapons that were being held on-post.

If you are looking to purchase a firearm for personal use, the best advice is to determine what the main purpose for said firearm will be. Do you plan to use it mostly for self defense? Do you plan to use it mostly for the range? If you do plan to carry it concealed with a permit, what type of a body build do you have? What accessories do you plan to use, either on the range or in the home?

Once you know the answers to those questions, you will have a better understanding of which firearms to look at. Handguns come in a variety of calibers, magazine capacities, optional accessories, factory options, aftermarket customization, etc.

I have owned many firearms since I was about 14 years old. When I hit 21 I purchased several that were out of reach until then, namely my first handgun and my first automatic. I am familiar with Texas law, and when I moved to San Anotonio for a few years I had to sell my Class 3 weapons due to local LE not being too hot on the idea of me taking them to the range. I guess there, not many ranges support the ownership of "gangster and military" weapons. I was happy to find a good home for my AK-47, as I spent a lot of time rebuilding it.

Of all the weapons I have owned that are legal and easy to obtain in your area, I would have to say the H&K USP is by far the best. I have never had a stoppage in that weapon since I bought it, and being a .40 it has offered me great accuracy combined with good stopping power. I also like the higher magazine capacity. They are a little more expensive though, but are worth every penny. Most USP 40's run about $600-700, depending on night sights, etc.

You can still purchase and own autos in TX, but you will need to find a Class 3 dealer in your area, as they will probably be best to ask how local LE feels about it. C3 weapons are sometimes costly, but they are like an old sports car; they are always becoming more valuable with time and good care. Also remember that C3's can take up to 9 months to transfer, depending on location of origin and how backed up your local BATF office is on paperwork.

If you would like assistance with choosing the firearm best suited to your needs, feel free to PM me or post here the answers to the above questions.
[R-DEV]Ninja2dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:06 PM   #7
DeePsix
Supporting Member

Thank you very much for the helpful post!

I know that M9 are used by the US Army. I would like to get a "military/goverment grade" - As in one that would be used by Law Enforcement or the Military (if they still carried them).

I would plan on getting a firearm as a "multi-tasker". I would use it for home defense if need be, but I would also take it to the range and shoot. I wouldn't go so far as to say I would carry it as a concealed weapon, but I'd like to have the option (so I probably would avoid a revolver with the 8-inch barrel). I wouldn't be shooting it in competition either.

I don't think the gun shop near me is a C3 Dealer -though they do have plenty of various assault rifles hanging on the walls as most shops do, but I'm sure they are all semi-auto. I'll swing back by there to pick up some reading material and ask about local laws here in College Station.

My friend owns a USP .45 and a Glock 19 and he swears by them both. He said that the USP was a bit pricey but well worth it. He also hasn't had any trouble with the Glock and loves it.

Thanks again Ninja for your input.

[R-DEV]dbzao:
Old 01-19-2008, 09:12 PM   #8
WHPRaveman

Go with a glock model 21 or a hk usp 45. I have both and they are great. If you are wanting to concel I reccomend the Glock model 36(concel model 45). I had a colt commander but it kicked alot more than the concel glock and so I replaced it with the glock.
WHPRaveman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:42 PM   #9
[R-DEV]Ninja2dan
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeePsix View Post
Thank you very much for the helpful post!

I know that M9 are used by the US Army. I would like to get a "military/goverment grade" - As in one that would be used by Law Enforcement or the Military (if they still carried them).

I would plan on getting a firearm as a "multi-tasker". I would use it for home defense if need be, but I would also take it to the range and shoot. I wouldn't go so far as to say I would carry it as a concealed weapon, but I'd like to have the option (so I probably would avoid a revolver with the 8-inch barrel). I wouldn't be shooting it in competition either.

I don't think the gun shop near me is a C3 Dealer -though they do have plenty of various assault rifles hanging on the walls as most shops do, but I'm sure they are all semi-auto. I'll swing back by there to pick up some reading material and ask about local laws here in College Station.

My friend owns a USP .45 and a Glock 19 and he swears by them both. He said that the USP was a bit pricey but well worth it. He also hasn't had any trouble with the Glock and loves it.

Thanks again Ninja for your input.
The Glock 19 was my first pistol. It was an LAPD used model, the officer who owned it carried it as a backup and off-duty weapon so it had minimal use. It had the night sights, and still included the hard case and 2 mags. If you buy a Glock, you will find two different magazines available. One is "Drop-free", the other is not. What that means is when you press the magazine release the magazine will drop free of the pistol. The other version will not, it simply drops a little bit but remains in the magazine well. I personally prefer drop-free, as it saves time when reloading. I never had a stoppage with the Glock either, but it just didn't feel right to me compared to other models. It wasn't bad for CCW though, being a little lighter weight.

I guess the next thing to ask is, are you familiar with the various calibers? Have you fired a 9mm, .40, .45, 10mm, etc? If so, which did you find to be the highest power round that was still controllable? Some people like the .45 but find it has more recoil than they like, meaning delayed target reacquisition. The 9mm on the other hand has been found too weak in many cases, so the .40 is a good mix of the two. A .40 will provide plenty of stopping power, yet has a reduced recoil and also offers a higher magazine capacity over the .45 does. I try to get all handguns in .40 now. And I will ALWAYS advise against a revolver, ALWAYS.

Once you know which caliber you are comfortable with, what type of build are you? Are you slimmer, more athletic (beefy) build, or large (heavy/overweight)? Your body size will determine both the size of handgrip as well as overall pistol size if carrying concealed. Since you have stated you probably will not carry it concealed, handgrip size will be more important. The only way to answer that one is to visit a local gunshop and check out their demo models. Try holding each one in your hand, and while maintaining a shooter stance, see if you can reach all of the controls without adjusting your grip.

Another aspect of the handgrip that is vital is the grip angle. Close your eyes, and raise the weapon to a ready position that feels natural. Now open your eyes and look down the sights. Is the weapon pointed straight? Up? Down? Some pistols have a better natural angle, while others tend to leave the weapon aiming slightly low. Your hand naturally holds things at a slightly forward-canted angle, so the more of a 90-degree angle of the grip, the further downwards the barrel will point.

Next to consider are the sights. Different people are comfortable with different sight styles. Do you want night sights (tritium)? Do you prefer optics such as an aimpoint or laser? Can you clearly see both front and rear sights? Are the sights high and squared (meaning they can snag easier)? Or are they lower or rounded off?

How is the weight of the pistol? If you have a larger body build, you will probably not have a problem with the heavier weapons. If you have a slimmer or shorter build, you might prefer a lighter weapon such as the Glock.

If you are really interested in the military version of the M9, make sure it is exactly that. The Beretta 92FS looks identical to most people, but there are several differences. M9's are harder to find on the civilian market, but offer some extra advantages over the civilian models. Take a look at this link here for an example of a military M9 for sale, and their approximate cost. Beretta includes the M92FS manual with civilian and LE purchases of the M9, but you can get the military manual fairly easily these days.

And a note about purchasing a pistol that might be used for self-defense. Spare no expense on something that might one day be used to save your life or the life of someone else. Obviously don't go spending $12k on a Glock 18, but don't spend $150 on a Jennings either. If your weapon jams on the range, you just lost a few minutes of bang-bang time. If your weapon jams in a life-and-death situation, you or another innocent person will probably die or be seriously injured because of it.

Take a look at the H&K logo...you can understand their motto.

[R-DEV]Ninja2dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:50 PM   #10
dislexiclawyer

Here is a picture of everything we have in my house. Only the AR15, 1911 and Beretta are mine though.

All of them have worked pretty well for me. The only time the 1911 has ever had a problem was when my dad shot it once and failed to seat the magazine all the way. Sometimes he can't even figure out which bullets to put in what mags. .45ACP rounds don't exactly fit in Beretta mags The Beretta has been pretty reliable too, the biggest problem I have has is finding reliable magazines. And the AR15 is my new addiction, it is so much fun to shoot. I just wish ammo prices hadn't gone up. Also the EOTech sight I have on it is like cheating.

dislexiclawyer is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
firearm