project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
27 Apr 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 09:17 PM   #1
paul161616
Supporting Member

Default ARMA at War - My impressions/Gameplay

Hey all. Back with a new video of Arma at war playtest. Still in alpha but coming along nicely. Check out the video here and check out their website for FAQ and other videos!

paul161616 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:08 AM   #2
[R-DEV]AfterDune
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: ARMA at War - My impressions/Gameplay

Never heard of this, but cool initiative nonetheless . So far sounds like a nice middle road between ArmA and PR/Squad.

Thread on BI forums: https://forums.bistudio.com/forums/t...ma-at-war-aaw/

Trailer:

I wonder how different this is from Bluedrake's PRA3 mod though .

[R-DEV]AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:54 PM   #3
paul161616
Supporting Member

The devs working on this are the same who were working on PR:A3. They split and took their work with them. Not sure what the new devs have come up with yet, but any older stuff you saw from PRA3 is what this is built on. Thanks for watching AD!

paul161616 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #4
mehason

Only vanila? No RHS or something?
mehason is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:36 PM   #5
Gerfand

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehason View Post
Only vanila? No RHS or something?
Better this way, you can customize latter

anyway, so this is basically BD42 Arma 3, w/out BD42??
Gerfand is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:44 PM   #6
[R-CON]Zeno
PR:BF2 Contributor

Send a message via MSN to [R-CON]Zeno Send a message via Skype™ to [R-CON]Zeno

looks great, but like vanilla arma it has the most cringeworth sounds ever..

[R-DEV]Ninja2dan: Not having a spotter is like masturbating with a cheese grater...mildly amusing at first, but generally painful and bloody in the end.

Thornehaw: If all this have been evidently true, Battlefield is a much scarier and dirtier than ever imagined. Not a conspiracy, but a possibility. If it is true, then trusting another is quite worrisome.
[R-CON]Zeno is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:46 AM   #7
Bluedrake42
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul161616 View Post
The devs working on this are the same who were working on PR:A3. They split and took their work with them. Not sure what the new devs have come up with yet, but any older stuff you saw from PRA3 is what this is built on. Thanks for watching AD!
I would be careful how you word this, as I've heard some misunderstandings. When you say the team split, and they took their work with them... the Project Reality: ArmA III team's agreement from the beginning allowed anyone from the project to use the codebase for other projects, or new branches of the project.

Some people seem to interpret these statements as AAW has taken the PRA3 code, and that =DRK= no longer has access to it... however all members of the original team (including =DRK=) were given immutable license to continue developing their own branches of the project if desired. Although =DRK= retains management of all branded accounts associated with PRA3, and all new branches must retain the non-commercial CC license.

That is why there is also the Frontline mod, and likely why there will be even more variations of the core framework in the future.

https://forums.bistudio.com/forums/t...148-frontline/

It is similar to how Squad has branched projects coming from their own codebase, such as Post Scriptum and Escalation 1985. ArmA at War is simply another branch of that project.

Now... unfortunately, where people have likely become confused... is that I had a serious argument with one of the developers of AAW, who damaged our code repository (in my opinion irresponsibly) because of an improper usage of repository admin powers (that I had granted him) when he left to make this new ArmA at War branch.

That is one of the reasons PRA3 hasn't released an update recently, as we have spent much of the past months repairing this damage to our repository, and migrating to a new self-hosted repository where this kind-of issue will be impossible to ever occur again. The time we would have been spent developing PRA3 (in the time AAW has released) has instead been spent entirely rebuilding our own internal code repository (including assembling automated backup solutions, building our large file storage tracking, testing server specifications, etc.)

https://gitlab.bluedrake42.com/

Which I am actually very proud of.

However everyone in the ArmA at War team is very talented, and I expect great things from this branch of the mod, despite the issues we've had with them. These are actually some of the same developers I spoke of who were being offered positions at Bohemia Interactive while I was working with them (allegedly.) I would highly suggest following their work, as I'm sure they'll accomplish some incredible things... although it would one day be nice if they could come clean on some the trouble they've caused us.

Bluedrake42 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
arma, impressions or gameplay, war