project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
18 Nov 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #41
[R-COM]Hulabi
FDF Faction Lead
Supporting Member

Default Re: Ask a guy who is Army Infantry anything related

It's interesting how well the human body adapts to different climates.

Imo the ideal temperature is around 5-10 C (40-50 F) and a nice wind when you're active and have full gear on you. 20 C (68 F) is uncomfortable, 30 C (86 F) is extremely uncomfortable, but anything above 35 C (95 F) and i'd probably pass out from heat exhaustion. 130 F sounds like an inferno :O

But then again, -30 C (-22 F) isn't that bad if you've got good gear. Even -40 C (-40 F) is manageable. When it gets to -50 C (-58 F) is when i 'nope' out of there

FDF Looking for Modellers, Mappers, Texture artists and Exporters!
#fdfpr @ QuakeNet or PM Hulabi
Last edited by [R-COM]Hulabi; 11-06-2013 at 09:54 PM..
Old 11-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #42
[R-DEV]Ninja2dan
PR:BF2 Developer

I've been to Richardson and Wainwright during the winter a few times during the late 90's, and neither were too bad. But like you said, once the wind kicked up it felt much worse. Not my idea of a "vacation" but not as bad as other places I've been.

As for dealing with the cold temps, no amount of gear is good enough to make me "comfortable". The second my ears starting getting sore, my cheeks burn, my nose gets numb and runny, doesn't matter what equipment you might have or how warm the rest of your body is. In the heat, I've adapted and learned to adjust. But then, I've tried to spend as much time as possible in warmer climates, almost all of my vacation time is spent in a jungle or on the beach.

We could probably start a whole thread about "soldier stories", fill it up with things that we (at least now) think are funny as hell but some civs might not get it. I'm sure some of our stories would even scare the shit out of people, while us grunts would be chuckling for hours. But I can also think of some stories that would get quite a few laughs, but some at our expense.

[R-DEV]Ninja2dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #43
Brainlaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Ninja2dan View Post
Bingo! Ding ding ding!

Personally, I hate anything below say 50F. If I see even a single flake of snow I get pissed off. And anything below 30F is total bullshit. When it's cold enough that your snot freezes to your face, it's already too cold.

But when it starts getting cold enough to freeze your eyeballs solid or turn your lungs into ice, holy fuck that's insane. I can live with 130F temps, air so damn hot and dry it's like someone assaulting you with an industrial-sized hair dryer.
Hot and wet air is a MILLION times worst, just sayin

But I'm totally with you, I could live as sweating pig with a second thought but the cold, no way. The only positive thing about cold/winter in general is, when theres a nice snowfall and I can go snowboarding.
Brainlaag is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #44
Anderson29
Supporting Member

the human body is amazing at adapting to extreme environments....but it takes some time.

you know dan...what if someone just interviewed a bunch of soldiers to get their funny/crazy stories and compiled them into a book....i wonder if anyone would buy it.

my selection LandNav story is basically at my expense,in fact i got a lot of stories that are at my expense. ill wait for someone to start the "stories" thread someday before i poke fun at myself...lol

hey billy, whats your favorite MRE and did you come up with any unique recipes?
for example,
Ranger Pudding recipe as follows:
coco powder
creamer
peanut butter
little bit of water
and crushed crackers

i feel like im forgetting something but i think that's the recipe

in-game name : Anderson2981
steam : Anderson2981
Anderson29 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #45
Eddie Baker
Banned

Quote:
We could probably start a whole thread about "soldier stories", fill it up with things that we (at least now) think are funny as hell but some civs might not get it. I'm sure some of our stories would even scare the shit out of people, while us grunts would be chuckling for hours. But I can also think of some stories that would get quite a few laughs, but some at our expense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson29 View Post
you know dan...what if someone just interviewed a bunch of soldiers to get their funny/crazy stories and compiled them into a book....i wonder if anyone would buy it.

my selection LandNav story is basically at my expense,in fact i got a lot of stories that are at my expense. ill wait for someone to start the "stories" thread someday before i poke fun at myself...lol
Unless either of you are going to come out and admit that you're The Ryan's Steakhouse Guy or The Kid Who Shit on Hugo the Hornet, you're going to have to work a little bit harder to have a more embarrassing story that doesn't involve one or more of the following:

1. An STI
2. Cleveland Steamer
3. Trannies

And those aren't going to become a factor because the moderators are likely not going to leave anything like that on this forum.

I think a book already has been published like that; I know several have for cops. But nowadays, you'd better make it an e-book, because so much of it is available on the internet for free, already. Check out some of the no-shit-there-I-was stories on SOCNET for comedy gold.

Maybe you should just make an equivalent site to FML or Texts from Last Night for servicepeople?
Eddie Baker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #46
Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Baker View Post
Unless either of you are going to come out and admit that you're The Ryan's Steakhouse Guy or The Kid Who Shit on Hugo the Hornet, you're going to have to work a little bit harder to have a more embarrassing story that doesn't involve one or more of the following:

1. An STI
2. Cleveland Steamer
3. Trannies

And those aren't going to become a factor because the moderators are likely not going to leave anything like that on this forum.

I think a book already has been published like that; I know several have for cops. But nowadays, you'd better make it an e-book, because so much of it is available on the internet for free, already. Check out some of the no-shit-there-I-was stories on SOCNET for comedy gold.

Maybe you should just make an equivalent site to FML or Texts from Last Night for servicepeople?
I have 1 and 3, but not at the same time

Rabbit is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #47
[R-DEV]Ninja2dan
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson29 View Post
the human body is amazing at adapting to extreme environments....but it takes some time.
I can "adapt" to the climate/environment ok, but learning to "adapt" to the cold doesn't mean you like it. I simply hate the cold, regardless if snow is involved or not. I don't sleep well when it's cold, I don't eat well when it's cold, I basically turn into a grouchy bastard when the temp drops.

Quote:
There had been a few guys and gals I knew from various branches that had been compiling up lists of all kinds of funny stories, but I think it was mostly just a forum thread. Unfortunately, the forum that it was on closed down a while back, and I'm not aware of anyone having a cached link or anything.

A short time after I left the Army, a bunch of guys were putting together a book with humor stories from BCT/AIT. Several of us were cadre, while a few others were just regular soldiers telling about their time as a recruit. It was coming along quite well, but once a lot of the major changes started hitting BCT units it was decided to hold off on it in fear that it might make matters worse. I've lost contact with the group, never heard what happened to the project.

Quote:
hey billy, whats your favorite MRE and did you come up with any unique recipes?
Quote:
for example,
Ranger Pudding recipe as follows:
coco powder
creamer
peanut butter
little bit of water
and crushed crackers

i feel like im forgetting something but i think that's the recipe
One of the other military gaming communities that I spend time with has a huge MRE Recipe thread on their forums. A lot of the recipes though are using condiment ingredients that weren't in our MREs back in the late 90's, and some of those recipes sound downright nasty. Due to them constantly changing MRE menus, adding and removing items left and right, it's hard to keep track of recipes anymore. That and recipes some of us "old guys" used to mix are unknown to the "new kids" because half the ingredients are discontinued.

But I think there are already a few e-books on MRE recipes, or at least some web sites that might have a list.

Personally, I just ate that shit as it came packaged. Some were good enough to eat cold even if/when you had time to use the heaters. Other items were so damn nasty that drowning it with every damn condiment you had still left it tasting like sweaty balls with a mix of ass and mud. Nothing like beating the shit out of your beef stew packet so you could eat it like baby food with one hand while you still held your 249 at the ready with the other.

As for someone creating a link for military stories, there are sure to be NSFW topics covered and plenty of profanity thrown in. I'm guessing that by adding indicators to the title and first post to advise people of that fact might help, as well as placing it in a more "controlled" location like the political crap. I'm not a moderator though, so it's not my call if it would be allowed or not.

[R-DEV]Ninja2dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #48
Rabbit

Quote:
As for someone creating a link for military stories, there are sure to be NSFW topics covered and plenty of profanity thrown in. I'm guessing that by adding indicators to the title and first post to advise people of that fact might help, as well as placing it in a more "controlled" location like the political crap. I'm not a moderator though, so it's not my call if it would be allowed or not.
Would be nice to have it closed to everyone other than mil so I can post real juice stories and videos.

Rabbit is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #49
billysmall44

Send a message via Skype™ to billysmall44

My favorite MRE was probably beef stew, or the mexican style black beans and something else. Brisket was also good. I never really had any recipes or anything like that.
billysmall44 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:05 AM   #50
Anderson29
Supporting Member

im not talking about dirty tranny sex and shit like that.

here ill give an example of 1 of my many "Anderson breaks things" stories.

So i just arrive at Ft. Rich AK in November2004 from the great state of texas and am completely in shock of how cold and white everything is and i mean everything. so a few weeks go by to get settled in and meet the team and my platoon and so we get tasked with pmcs'ing some HMMWVs. Well my SGT says "Anderson go get the manual out of the HMMWV over there"
"roger SGT"...minute later.."hey SGT i cant get the damn handle to turn to open the door"
he says "open it like a man you damn pvt"
side note :this is one of those soft doors with the plastic handle and just know that all through basic and AIT i have never messed with a HMMWV. some of the easiest doors to open
so i say "roger that SGT"
seconds later.... "hey SGT, i broke it"
"WTF Anderson!!!! how the fuck do you break the handle" kinda laughing but looking at me like how the fuck are you so stupid...

anyways so what happened was i tried to open it and i was scared i might break it but then he tells me to "open it like a man", so i open it but the damn handle just blew up like a spring loaded booby trap in my hand, pieces flying and going everywhere....it kinda startled me....

im thinking awe fuck man....i just got here and already i'm the guy that cant open a hmmwv door....FML

anyways my SGT helps me put it all back together on some other teams hmmwv that we switched the doors out with...lol..
the end.

kinda lame story but you never start out with your best material....right? and that was just 1 of the many things i broke through out my service.

in-game name : Anderson2981
steam : Anderson2981
Last edited by Anderson29; 11-06-2013 at 12:12 AM..

Tags
army, guy, infantry, related