project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
27 Aug 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #41
MaSSive

Send a message via Skype™ to MaSSive
Default Re: Name some of the Best/Worst military Commanders.

Leonidas I

Napoleon Bonaparte

Richard I

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CATA4TW!
MaSSive is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:04 PM   #42
WelshManDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technoelite View Post
I can expand on Haig most people see it with the benefit of hind sight, but what we have to understand is that Haig actualyl did promote modern warfare, with the use of combined arms actions, as you may note in the later days of the somme which alot of people forget breakthroughs were made by the use of airpower and tanks combined, they were of course all in there infancy, it was this combination with General Rawlinson which set the basis for modern combat as we know it today. It sounds bad but the somme needed to happen so that the army and modern tactics could grow.

May i add to the list of good people
Sir John Moore
Benedict Arnold, much much better general than GW, should have got command of the army.
Duke of Marlborough
William of Orange, i mean the Boyne was a master piece and keeping the Spanish at bay
Napoleon

Not sure:
Duke of Wellington
James Wolf

Bad:
French General Staff WW2
The Duke of York, the Flanders Campaign was a joke
Fair play, never thought about haig like that!

I don't really know much about him, or WWI, so shouldn't of out him in my list tbh! But thanks.
WelshManDan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:29 AM   #43
Yrkidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]MaSSive View Post

Napoleon Bonaparte

I think that what Napoleon did as a general is truly what he is remembered for, however this means that there are things he did for France that often go overlooked that I'd like to mention.

"Bonaparte instituted lasting reforms, including higher education, a tax code, road and sewer systems, and established the Banque de France (central bank)."

"Napoleon emancipated Jews, as well as Protestants in Catholic countries and Catholics in Protestant countries, from laws which restricted them to ghettos, and he expanded their rights to property, worship, and careers. Despite the anti-semitic reaction to Napoleon's policies from foreign governments and within France, he believed emancipation would benefit France by attracting Jews to the country given the restrictions they faced elsewhere."

"He stated, "I will never accept any proposals that will obligate the Jewish people to leave France, because to me the Jews are the same as any other citizen in our country. It takes weakness to chase them out of the country, but it takes strength to assimilate them."He was seen as so favourable to the Jews that the Russian Orthodox Church formally condemned him as "Antichrist and the Enemy of God"."

"The Napoleonic Code or Code Napoleon (originally, the Code civil des francais) is the French civil code, established under Napoleon I in 1804. The code forbade privileges based on birth, allowed freedom of religion, and specified that government jobs go to the most qualified."
"The Napoleonic code was adopted throughout much of Europe, though only in the lands he conquered, and remained in force after Napoleon's defeat. Napoleon said: "My true glory is not to have won 40 battles...Waterloo will erase the memory of so many victories. ... But...what will live forever, is my Civil Code." The Code still has importance today in a quarter of the world's jurisdictions including in Europe, the Americas and Africa."

"The Napoleonic Code was not the first legal code to be established in a European country with a civil legal system it was preceded by the Codex Maximilianeus bavaricus civilis (Bavaria, 1756), the Allgemeines Landrecht (Prussia, 1794) and the West Galician Code (Galicia, then part of Austria, 1797). It was, however, the first modern legal code to be adopted with a pan-European scope and it strongly influenced the law of many of the countries formed during and after the Napoleonic Wars. It was adopted in many countries occupied by the French during the Napoleonic Wars and thus formed the basis of the private law systems also of Italy, the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Portugal (and their former colonies), as well as Poland (1808-1946). In the German regions on the left bank of the Rhine (Rhenish Palatinate and Prussian Rhine Province), the former Duchy of Berg and the Grand Duchy of Baden, the Napoleonic code was in use until the introduction of the B?rgerliches Gesetzbuch in 1900 as the first common civil code for the entire German Empire.
The Napoleonic Code was also adopted in 1864 in Romania (with some modifications), which is still in force as of 2011 (articles 461 to 1914). The Code was also adopted in Egypt as part of the system of mixed courts introduced in Egypt after the fall of Khedive Ismail. The Code was translated into Arabic from the French by Youssef Wahba Pasha between 1881-1883. Other codes with some influence in their own right were the Swiss, German, and Austrian ones, but even there some influence of the French code can be felt, as the Napoleonic Code is considered the first successful codification.
Thus, the civil law systems of the countries of modern continental Europe, with the exception of Russia and the Scandinavian countries have, to different degrees, been influenced by the Napoleonic Code.
In the Persian Gulf Arab states of the Middle East, the influence of the Napoleonic code mixed with hints of Islamic law is clear, even in Saudi Arabia (which abides more towards Islamic law). In Kuwait for example, property rights, women's rights, and the education system can be seen as Islamic reenactments of the French civil code. Some of these aspects can be seen in other Persian Gulf Arab states, although less pronounced than in Kuwait, this primarily being due to the democratic nature of Kuwait, rather than the absolutist nature of many other Persian Gulf nations.
The term "Napoleonic code" is also used to refer to legal codes of other jurisdictions that are influenced by the French Code Napoleon, especially the civil code of Quebec, which was derived from the Coutume de Paris, which the British continued to use in Canada following the Treaty of Paris in 1763. Most of the laws in Latin American countries are also heavily based in the Napoleonic Code, such as the Chilean Civil Code and the Puerto Rican Civil Code. Despite being surrounded by Anglo-Saxon Common Law territories, Louisiana's civil code has kept its Roman roots and some of its aspects feature influences by the Napoleonic Code, but is based more on Roman and Spanish civil traditions."

"The official introduction of the metric system in September 1799 was unpopular in large sections of French society, and Napoleon's rule greatly aided adoption of the new standard across not only France but the French sphere of influence."

"In May 1802, he instituted the Legion of Honour, a substitute for the old royalist decorations and orders of chivalry, to encourage civilian and military achievements; the order is still the highest decoration in France."

"In a private discussion with general Gourgaud during his exile on Saint Helena, Napoleon expressed materialistic views on the origin of man, and doubted the divinity of Jesus, stating that it is absurd to believe that Socrates, Plato, Muhammad and the Anglicans should be damned for not being Roman Catholics."

Did I mention that (though he didn't order it) one of his troops kidnapped the pope and that Napoleon kept him for 6 years?

So not only was he a great general but the system of laws that he contributed as much as he could to and that was put into place under his orders formed the basis for law systems across Europe, Africa and both North and South America, in addition he allowed Jewish people to have rights in the French Empire and many other reforms that had wide-spread and long-lasting effect.

"It was about the man to your left and right. We Don't do this for freedom, apple pie, but for the man to your left and right. The privates, lance corporals, and sergeants stand shoulder-to-shoulder in the face of the enemy, Honor Among Men." - Sergeant Todd Rosalez
Yrkidding is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #44
Zeno

Send a message via MSN to Zeno Send a message via Skype™ to Zeno

Sun tzu

/thread

[R-DEV]Ninja2dan:
Not having a spotter is like masturbating with a cheese grater...mildly amusing at first, but generally painful and bloody in the end.
Zeno is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #45
Makarov

Marshal of the Soviet Union Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov

hukov was the most successful Russian general in World War Two. Zhukov effectively lead the attack on Berlin in April/May 1945 and throughout the whole Russian campaign was known as the ?man who did not lose a battle?.

Zhukov was born in 1896 and he served as an officer in the Russian Imperial Army during World War One. After the Bolshevik victory in November 1917, Zhukov joined the communist Red Army. He served as a cavalry commander during the Russian Civil War.

After the Civil War had ended in Russia and relative calm had descended on the nation, Zhukov studied the use of armoured warfare in battle. He had seen for himself, the cost in human lives of outmoded warfare and he developed his own ideas on how armoured vehicles could be used in combat. His knowledge and skill clearly impressed Joseph Stalin who had used the Purges to rid himself of many senior Red Army officers. In 1940, Zhukov was appointed chief of staff by Stalin. Zhukov knew that failure would not be tolerated by Stalin - neither would be getting on the wrong side of the leader.

Operation Barbarossa cruelly exposed the Russian Army for what it was at that time. The Germans surged on to Stalingrad in the south, got into the suburbs of Moscow and besieged Leningrad in the north. Zhukov?s first great test was to save Moscow which he did. He then used his expertise to destroy the German Army at Stalingrad which lead to Field Marshall von Paulus surrendering his forces. From this surrender, the German forces would only be retreating back to Germany such was the devastating nature of this defeat.

For the advance into occupied eastern Europe, Zhukov used to his advantage the new T-34; a weapon that set new standards for tank design. The victory of the Russians at Kursk gave them a huge advantage over the Germans in terms of armoured warfare.

Zhukov was given the credit for the victory of the Russian forces over the Nazis in the Battle for Berlin. Though a victory in military terms, the Russians had taken very many casualties in this battle. However, this victory sealed for Zhukov the title of the ?man who never lost a battle?. In the aftermath of this victory, Zhukov, now a marshal in the army, headed the Russian occupation force.

Violent video games are the "Assault Weapons" of the first amendment.

Makarov is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #46
Ddonegan

BEST

Michael Collins

WORST

Bernard Montgomery

Last edited by Ddonegan; 06-03-2012 at 06:24 PM..
Old 06-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #47
burghUK

I'd argue against michael collins. If he had persisted instead of settling on a treaty biased towards british interests then we would not have had the mess 50 years later in the troubles to modern times. His strategy was far from flawless.

Montgomery wasn't the best but he also wasn't the worst. He was just a bit hit and miss.

best - Duke of wellington
James wolfe

worst - James Brudenell
douglas haig

If I don't make it , tell my wife i said "hello".
Last edited by burghUK; 06-03-2012 at 07:16 PM..
Old 06-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #48
Ddonegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by burghUK View Post
I'd argue against michael collins. If he had persisted instead of settling on a treaty biased towards british interests then we would not have had the mess 50 years later in the troubles to modern times. His strategy was far from flawless.

He got the gears moving. He initiated a change which Ireland had not seen in HUNDREDS of years. If he had not been shot, I believe he would have gotten the Northern counties back. Just my honest opinion.
Ddonegan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #49
[R-MOD]Jeepo
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddonegan View Post
BEST

Michael Collins

WORST

Bernard Montgomery

Hmmm, base both decisions on what? Thats twice in one day you have come into a thread Irish flag waving, if I didn't know better I would say you are a 2nd generation plastic paddy?

Either way I am interested in why you feel Monty was a poor general and why you feel Collins was good.
[R-MOD]Jeepo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #50
mitchverr

Monty was an okay general, he did care about "some" of his men (he didnt care much for indians under his command from what i have read) and some of his "accomplishments" were actually the plans and deeds of others(some i mentioned in the first page i believe) which he basically came half way through on and took the credit, better commanders were out there who are still ignored today, a bad general? No, he did try to give his men better then even odds to live through a battle, but a great commander? I wouldnt go so far.

'Ear all, see all, say nowt;
Eyt all, sup all, pay nowt;
And if ivver tha does owt fer nowt - Do it fer thissen
mitchverr is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
best or worst, commanders, military