project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
23 Jan 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #41
Trooper909

Default Re: Nations at War mod

In the DOW community its mostly encouraged to take things and make your own mod out of it,credit the makers of the thing of course sometimes its super strict and you may have to ask lol not all but most at least.

He isn't taking credit for nobody's work as written in the first lines of mod page is the credits alright it is rude not to ask though but most would only say no or what can you give me in return etc.
Like I said I don't condone stealing like in the case of army rage saying look at all the hard work we did when all they did was steal it but this guy isn't doing that and makes it clear what the mod is.

Also no profit is involved only ego's.

Another example is Call of warhammer a mod for total war.It has many models "stolen" from a really crap commercial warhammer game chaos rising but puts them to good use as none will ever play chaos rising but they do play COW.

Will agree to disagree I guess.
Trooper909 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #42
ShockUnitBlack

http://www.moddb.com/mods/nations-at.../8911#imagebox

http://www.moddb.com/mods/nations-at.../uy94#imagebox

PR's - unreleased - stuff... But how did he get it?

"I Want To Spend The Rest Of My Life With You Tonight."
Last edited by ShockUnitBlack; 05-22-2012 at 11:20 PM..
Old 05-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #43
Xavo|xXx

I think they might be models from the BF2:AUS mod (or whatever the Australian mod was called).

It goes Halle Berry or Hallelujah | Pick your poison tell me what you do | Every body gon' respect the shooter | But the one in front of the gun lives forever
Xavo|xXx is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:42 PM   #44
Pvt.LHeureux
-

Hey Trooper, let's imagine that I made a 3D model of an AK-47 with animations and tweaks on it, export it in PR. PR then uses it, etc.

Then some random guy extract it and put it in his mod and slaps his name on it. It's thief. If he gives credits, it's still theif, he would need my PERMISSION. Not only credits do it, permissions are needed.

Chuva_RD : You want to remove bugged thing but dont tell how to fill formed void.
Pvt.LHeureux is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:58 PM   #45
Trooper909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt.LHeureux View Post
Hey Trooper, let's imagine that I made a 3D model of an AK-47 with animations and tweaks on it, export it in PR. PR then uses it, etc.

Then some random guy extract it and put it in his mod and slaps his name on it. It's thief. If he gives credits, it's still theif, he would need my PERMISSION. Not only credits do it, permissions are needed.
I know this.

But if I was to make the same ak47 I would state that anybody could do what they like with it just credit me.
Merely pointing out the difference not condoning it.

If more people had my attitude we would have alot better mods/games

As for PR's junk folder "unreleased stuff" it was never gonna see the light of day anyway.
Trooper909 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:55 AM   #46
Spush
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I'm sorry Trooper but your logic just doesn't work with the real world.
Spush is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:08 AM   #47
[R-DEV]AfterDune
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Trooper, do keep in mind many modellers also sell their models. Just because they gave permission to a mod to use them, doesn't mean other mods can simply take them as they please.

If you see a model you like, the very least you can do is ask permission to use it.

But simply ripping things from mods people worked hard on, doesn't give anyone the right to take it and publish it like that.

[R-DEV]AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:15 AM   #48
Maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper909 View Post
I know this.

But if I was to make the same ak47 I would state that anybody could do what they like with it just credit me.

As for PR's junk folder "unreleased stuff" it was never gonna see the light of day anyway.

Are you saying PR/FH2 is shit?

Maverick is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:17 AM   #49
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper909 View Post
I know this.

Please do go ahead and start spending hundreds of hrs making these items for free use...

While there are some modders out there who have done this sort of thing, even I've given some of my work out freely to the community (mainly testbed maps etc) there is a big difference in saying and doing...

At the end of the day, the attitude that we (PR), and most other mods out there take which is we are happy to trade stuff providing we are asked for it first, is in fact better for all the mods that make stuff as both parties can benefit though the fair trade of items. USI has gotten lots of stuff from us which they don't have the man power to make, such as the harrier, AAV, little bird etc while we have also benefited at the same time and as such, both mod teams have been able to work.

If all our content was just stolen from out from under us all the time, what in the hell would be the point of making it if some other mod, working 1% of what we have done to make this stuff, is taking it and using stuff as they please, it would only lead to us stopping work on our mods as there would be no point in making anything...

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:48 AM   #50
Draakon

Although this is kinda a wet dream come true, I have to agree that this is just bad. It's one thing to give away stuff and let people use them as they see fit, it's another to just outright take something without even asking first. At this point, nothing can be done though, as there are no downloads available. As soon as they are, lawyers will be all over the case.

Also, eotech sights on a MG? wut?
Draakon is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
mod, nations, war