project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
26 Jul 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
Web_cole
PR Server License Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Web_cole Send a message via Skype™ to Web_cole
Default DayZ - Zombie Survival (ArmA 2 Mod)

Day Z

DayZ is a multiplayer mod for ARMA 2: CO. It is a zombie survival game; you scrounge supplies from enterable buildings, you try to avoid getting eaten, or killed and robbed for your tasty, tasty loot

It is strangely compelling, and it might just be that zombie survival game you've always wanted. I'm not sure what it is, but to me it seems to have nailed the tension between wanting to avoid those populous areas where the zombies are, and yet needing to search them for guns, ammo, food and drink etc.

Ideally you should rally up with some other survivors, as one hit from a Z can sometimes put you on the ground. Teamwork can go a long way here

DISCLAIMER: Whilst myself and others have been really enjoying this mod, before you go downloading anything I should say DayZ is still in alpha. Lots of things don't work, servers might be restarted multiple times a day for updates, and you probably will be frustrated by something at some point (like the 1:1 realtime, meaning 10~ hours of pitch darkness.)

Saying all that, here is a fun video series on that there youtube:

YouTube Video

If you are interested, the recommended install procedure can currently be found here (have a look at the readme): http://www.mediafire.com/dayz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
For Aiur
Web_cole is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
[R-DEV]Adriaan
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: DayZ (Zombie Survival, Persistent Open World)

Ooh, that looks interesting. I'd like to give it a try. I'm not a huge fan of regular zombie shooters (although they're fun too from time to time), but a more simulation like approach where it's not just about shooting zombies is something I could probably enjoy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-DEV]Adriaan is online now Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
Pvt.LHeureux
Project Normandy Contributor

STALKER feel

Chuva_RD : You want to remove bugged thing but dont tell how to fill formed void.
Pvt.LHeureux is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
Harrod200

Looks good. Is A2:CO just A2 with expansion? I already have all the addons, I don't need to buy CO too for this do I?

The original gun freak gaymer geek

Harrod200 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
MaxBooZe
Project Reality Beta Tester
PR Server License Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to MaxBooZe

When you join the EU server after 6/7 GMT it will be dark, and not regular ArmA dark but so dark that you can't actually see your own pistol. You need to use flares, chemlights, flashlights etc. Which you of course have to find.

It's CO which means Arrowhead and Arma 2 (Regular) combined. So if you have both of those you're good.

MaxBooZe is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Played a bit of another zombie mod before for ARMA2, quite fun but ARMA2s clunkiness kinda brakes the immersion for me

Might give this a try as it looks like a better scenario than the other missions I've tried with more randomness with odd weapons in odd buildings etc but the shooting part looked just as messed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrod200 View Post
Looks good. Is A2:CO just A2 with expansion? I already have all the addons, I don't need to buy CO too for this do I?
ARMA2:CO is just normal ARMA2, combined with Operation Arrowhead. With both installed, you get "CO".

Last edited by [R-DEV]Rhino; 04-18-2012 at 02:21 PM..
Old 04-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
Murphy

North Americans will basically play this game in a night setting(on the euro server), and while some ppl refuse to play until it's light I find the night adds a LOT of tension and makes any zombie sound 10x more frightening.

You start with a pistol and enough food/water/medical supplies to take you through your first day or so, but don't get angry when a zombie kills you. Everyone dies right away as the zombies can easily be underestimated and you really don't know what to expect when you hear those bloody screams.

My advice to anyone starting this is to stay away from big cities as you not only have zombies to be on guard for but players looking to kill you and take your loot (sometimes easier then killing zombies when the players are unaware).

Murphy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
You start with a pistol and enough food/water/medical supplies to take you through your first day or so, but don't get angry when a zombie kills you. Everyone dies right away as the zombies can easily be underestimated and you really don't know what to expect when you hear those bloody screams.

My advice to anyone starting this is to stay away from big cities as you not only have zombies to be on guard for but players looking to kill you and take your loot (sometimes easier then killing zombies when the players are unaware).
Sounds cool

So there are loads of different people on a server all doing there own thing, trying to survive?

Would seem that way from the video above.

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
Pvt.LHeureux
Project Normandy Contributor

Yes Rhino, I suggest you look his whole serie, it's really awesome. Can't wait for part5

Chuva_RD : You want to remove bugged thing but dont tell how to fill formed void.
Pvt.LHeureux is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

I did watch all of that video above, most of it was him seeing a zombie, screaming and running away like a little girl, letting everyone else shoot the zombie chasing him

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
1872, arma, dayz, join, mod, open, pcgn, persistent, private, server, survival, today, world, zombie