project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
23 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 01:55 AM   #141
hiberNative

Default Re: Assassin's Creed 3 (PC/Console Game)

i really don't see what difference nationality makes, when they're all people. or do you feel like your country is the evil country in the game or something? i really can't relate to that, i'd stab down swedes in an assassin's creed game if it'd somehow be story related. taking the role of bad-guys in games is also nothing i have a problem with, so maybe just enjoy a different perspective and not take offence?

the krogan genophage was NOT ok, though.

:B

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hiberNative is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:17 AM   #142
Qaiex

The Genophage was the right choice dammit! It was either that or complete extinction, the Krogan had to be stopped!

Anyway, it's not about nationality, it's about rewriting history to make yourself look better. It plays into this whole Manifest Destiny bullshit of America as God's chosen nation.
Honestly, if they'd make you the bad guy I would think that would be far more interesting a take on it than being the hero all the time, whatever that means. Losing in the end wouldn't necessarily make it a bad game. As long as they keep it objective.
I wouldn't mind it so much if they were just up front about it. But this whole [I]"Assassins fight for freedom and justice! And that's why he's on the American side." thing is just patronizing. They claim he'll be fighting both sides, but we sure haven't seen any of it yet.
And it's just something like killing Americans who sympathize with the British, I will be severely disappointed.

I mean it works for the Hitman games. Playing as a man who murders for money doesn't seem to bother anyone.
Qaiex is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #143
Zerostar11

I think Qaiex expresses my concerns about the game better than I do. I have no probably murdering my own nationality if its what my character would do (Like a hitman game) But I just feel uneasy about how the storyline portrays not just Britons but also Americans/
Zerostar11 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #144
KiloJules

Angry Re: Assassin's Creed 3 (PC/Console Game)

I am really sorry to tell you people but this is the most ridiculous stuff I have ever read on these forums.

Patriotism is sth. I really don't get in the first place but reacting as some people here do is just poor. It is okay to shoot Wehrmacht in SniperEliteV2, kill middle eastern or russian people in every shooter, slay muslims in AC but suddenly it is "touchy" to stab Brits?
C'mon in PR, on Al Basrah, do you also switch to Brits cause you feel bad about RPGing virtual countrymen? Oh my...

As some have stated already:
Killing, War, Murder, etc. is bad! (Almost) no matter who are the victims. Everyone is a child of someone that gets left behind in moaning.
And that is why we do it on the PC, virtually, without harming anyone. People that fail to understand that and are not able to look past obvious patriotism/propaganda need to loosen up a bit.

Either you recognize and see the propaganda transported in a game to influence young, uneducated adults and find it a bad thing to happen or not.
But if you do, shouldn't you hate it from whatever side it is coming from?
And in general, should one not rather be disgusted by real propaganda that is being sold as real news for example? Or can you imagine to look into the history books and realize that it wasn't all very good? There are dozens of examples where those Redcoats actually behaved like the "bad guys".

Slowly but steady I would drift too much into a political direction, therefore I am gonna leave it as is.
KiloJules is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #145
WelshManDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloJules View Post
Or can you imagine to look into the history books and realize that it wasn't all very good? There are dozens of examples where those Redcoats actually behaved like the "bad guys".
This, this right here is where the major problem within the whole context of portrayal of history for every war, politcal decision and victory lies.

Its all down to the victor, who are the ones who write the books.

Example:

Quote:
USS Constitution was a grand ship, no doubt about it. Reading about it online and in the majority of history books and you would find that she was one of the finest vessels in the war of 1812, destroying every brit she sets eyes on and heroically kicking ass all over the north atlantic.

Delve deeper into older history books, and documents straight from the Royal Navy/US navy, and you would find that she made her trade destroying British Armed Merchant vessels, carrying innocent traders and a detachment of marines.

Her famous battle where she defeated the HMS Levant and Cyane was all well and good, but History books forgot to mention the part where she was completely and utterly torn apart by a Broadside from Levant, and only was nicknamed ironsides because miraculously she didnt sink. Apart from that the Rudder, many of the crew and half the ship was keeled over practically ending its role in the war.

The only times she set sail after that were to chase a few more Merchant ships, which she could no longer do so effectively, and if she ever encountered the Royal Navy proper once again (she ran away from every engagement after the battle with Levant), her role in the history books would of been incredibly different.

I cant remember it exactly but I think this is what I read. I will try to find the exact source but will have to traverse the other side of it first.
Now, with the Revolutionary war, the British did some bad things, its warfare of course some things will happen. Which is where the point stands, the Americans did some damn awful shit too.

So we have to look at history once again, and see where "Heroic Portrayals" were actually bollocks, or things which are largely overlooked when looking at American History.
  • American Massacre at Gnadenhutten
  • Remember when the Americans basically wiped the Native Americans off the face of the planet? But oh yeah its okay, they gave them one or two pieces of land from all of North america that they can live in, because they are nice like that.
  • Custers last stand? Oh yeah the one where a history team managed to find evidence that it was actually a failed rout which ended in the obliteration of Custers men, and that there was no last stand?
  • Mark Clarks glory run? Causing unneccessary deaths of Commonwealth soldiers?

This isnt an Anti-American post, not by any means, I love the yanks over the pond.

This is just stating that the truth is never shown, and that the longer the shit goes on where America are the greatest nation who ever walked the earth (Btw guys over the pond, the Romans, the Mongols and hundreds of other nations were far more important to the outcome of history than America has been so far - you aint the greatest by any stretch sorry boys).

Im out, this aint gonna go down well.
WelshManDan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #146
[R-DEV]Rudd
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

The British Empire has got Tonnes of examples of being absolute tits, also tonnes of examples of things done correctly...but overall I do feel the world would have been better off without the British Empire. (Though a world ruled by the French doesn't sound appealing.../trollface (Je vous aime mes amis fran?ais - I love you my French friends!)

Who gives a crap though in AC? The story is that the Templars manipulate everything to achieve total control for the betterment of mankind in their eyes. Sounds pretty imperial to me :P Just play the game, enjoy the story! It was hardly ever gonna be 'then the Redcoats arrived and dispensed teddy bears to the masses'

Go far enough back in history of ANY country and you'll find shit they did bad.

Though I won't mind some US patriotic overtones in this game, because quite frankly I believe the Americans gave George plenty of changes to stop being bastardy to them The TV series 'John Adams' (HBO) got me pretty interested in the period.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[R-DEV]Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #147
Zerostar11

Exactly Rudd the templars manipulate everything to achieve control, o wait American revolutionist are immune from that. It's not that I have a problem with killing Brits per say, its the fact you see the American's triumph over everything because they are the "Best".

I have a feeling we're going to go through the entire game killing brits, just to find out at the end George Washington is actually a templar (With a golden apple), and you end up stopping Benedict Arnold from killing George or something like that.
Zerostar11 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #148
Silly_Savage

It's a fucking game. A GAME! Get over all of your nationality/patriotic bullshit already. All of you. Seriously, this is just pathetic. How many times does this discussion have to be regurgitated before you all run out of breath?

No one gives two shits about how anyone is perceived in a game. A fucking game. Despite all your hearsay, there are no other ulterior motives for AC3 aside from making money and to hopefully provide enjoyment for fans of the series. No political statements, no hidden agendas, nothing. I am this close to start posting Spiderman memes, because this thread is starting to turn stupid.

Again, because some people seem to keep forgetting. IT'S JUST A GAME.

Don't like it? Don't buy it. I'm done here.

P.S. You don't see any logical thinking human beings crying over Glorious Mission.

"Jafar, show me a sniper rifle." - Silly_Savage 2013
Silly_Savage is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #149
Brainlaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Savage View Post
P.S. You don't see any logical thinking human beings crying over Glorious Mission.
Did you miss out the comment section below the video?

On a serious note, I fully agree with Silly.

Brainlaag is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #150
Silly_Savage

Hehe, that's why I said logical thinking.

The YouTube comment section is the cesspool of the internet.

"Jafar, show me a sniper rifle." - Silly_Savage 2013
Silly_Savage is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
assassin, creed, game, pc or console