project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
20 Dec 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #591
Kirra
Default Re: Wargame European Escalation (PC Game)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B33NJO View Post
Your BUK killed 2 Chaparrals.
Bingo. I lolled when I saw that, he must have hovered over the Chaparrals or something.
Kirra is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #592
Soviet Wizard

Haha, yeah I think that happened to me with a HIND that was flying right over some infantry in a forest and right when my BUK's missile hit the HIND, I saw a little +10 come out of the forest. It must be the super high HE power of the missile.
Soviet Wizard is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #593
Kirra

BUK's are awesome. Best long range AA in the game.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #594
Soviet Wizard

I agree. I've also changed my mind about the T72s, haha. They are actually pretty useful. On tight, dense maps where your tanks can be easily flanked by infantry, I use the T72s, on the other hand, on wide open maps, with little chance of a surprise attack from one of my flanks, I use the T64BV.
Soviet Wizard is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:32 AM   #595
BrownBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirra View Post
And to whoever said that heavy tanks are OP: Wargame: European Escalation replays
They aren't an automatic win button. He spammed ATGM units and you had no support, and you let him engage you in the open. You could easily have reacted by retreating and you would have benefited from support units or ambushes in your forest. He outspent you in the middle by 200. You also neglected to put infantry in the middle buildings meaning that he could move right in there and get the jump on you. You don't need to build a total of three Mi-9s in a 1500 point game. Once you realized that he was coming for you in the middle you pushed out 315 worth of T72s, why not spend it earlier? If you had artillery and sneaky recon, his I-TOW Jeeps would have been toast, and had he tried to push all you would have needed to do was retreat and shell.

The replay does show that heavies can't kill everything, but when the game turns into an artillery stalemate it is the only useful unit that will not be affected. Any other effective unit will be a delicious target for your enemy and that in combination with the heavy tank's efficiency is why they are desirable!

I think you played the map control well, but didn't send out enough cheap INF/jeep recon to spot the enemy in time. An Mi-9 is a big chunk of money to lose if something goes wrong (I forget them hovering over forests all the time!) That way you would have been able to distribute your deployment points in the right area better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BrownBadger is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:33 AM   #596
Kirra

Lol, just had a rather lengthy discussion with some rank 1700 guy about the AMX-32's. He insisted that they were worth using even after losing 6 of them plus a Leo 2A4 to my two T80U's and two T80BV's. Two of my tanks survived. I had supplies and he didn't but still. AMX-32's = overpriced glass canon that dies way too quickly.

I ended up winning the game quite easily after I rushed his remaining Leo 2A4's with SKOT's.

I can't see why anyone would want to pay 100 points for 5 frontal and 2 side armour. They just die too quickly to be effective. I targeted them as soon as they came into my range and they died after 2-3 hits.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:21 AM   #597
mitchverr

Couple of things Kirra,

1)the AMX32 is situational, sometimes it fails and derps and other times it will crush several hundred points, as i said, situational (and worth buying if you like them)
2)heavy tanks in a 1v1 are not as OP as they are in a 3v3 or 4v4, if in 1 of the latters 1 guys in the team doesnt get any heavy tanks, he runs the risk of being hit by sometimes even 10-20 enemy heavy tanks rushing stright over his defencive line(and not even killing any of those tanks might i add), that is where the "taking the mik" comes in, not in 1v1 but in multiple people per side. And just because in 1 battle the heavy tank loses and isnt used right doesnt mean in the general games they are not OP, when used with AAA, a little arty and a few support units a group of heavies will crush an enemy without them, that shouldnt happen in a RTS which is based of variety (they didnt stick 361 units in the game for shits n gigles). The problem with using "low end" kit is that you dont get many of them, NATO side, you get maximum 12 units in any "spam" form which are not ATGM, which are VTS1s, for AML lynxs, you get 8 of them, and so on, if it has speed in this game you dont get many of them at all to fight with and once they are gone, they are gone you have no more cheap units to throw into the fight making using "cheap n nasty" a very risky counter to the "50/50 chance" heavy counter heavy.

My arguemtn for the whole "so you think that a 30 point unit should kill a 140 point unit" is simply, yes it should, if you use it to ambush the enemy or in a correct way, it should be very acceptable for it to kill it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'Ear all, see all, say nowt;
Eyt all, sup all, pay nowt;
And if ivver tha does owt fer nowt - Do it fer thissen
mitchverr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:05 AM   #598
Conman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirra View Post
Lol, just had a rather lengthy discussion with some rank 1700 guy about the AMX-32's. He insisted that they were worth using even after losing 6 of them plus a Leo 2A4 to my two T80U's and two T80BV's. Two of my tanks survived. I had supplies and he didn't but still. AMX-32's = overpriced glass canon that dies way too quickly.

I ended up winning the game quite easily after I rushed his remaining Leo 2A4's with SKOT's.

I can't see why anyone would want to pay 100 points for 5 frontal and 2 side armour. They just die too quickly to be effective. I targeted them as soon as they came into my range and they died after 2-3 hits.
Like i say many times. Every unit has its strengths and weaknesses.

It may not be able to take hits, but look at its up sides.

120mm Gun so good range for only 100 pts. I think thats the cheapest 120mm you can get. Fast. Accurate. Doesnt it have an auto cannon too.

It may not suit your play style of heavy tanks that can stand in the open and just take hits all day. Some people like to use the speed and flank.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Mark Twain

Conman51 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #599
Kirra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conman51 View Post
Like i say many times. Every unit has its strengths and weaknesses.

It may not be able to take hits, but look at its up sides.

120mm Gun so good range for only 100 pts. I think thats the cheapest 120mm you can get. Fast. Accurate. Doesnt it have an auto cannon too.

It may not suit your play style of heavy tanks that can stand in the open and just take hits all day. Some people like to use the speed and flank.
That's also the least armoured 120mm gun you can get. Yes it is fast. Yes it is accurate. But with it's shitty armor it will not survive an engagement with anything that can shoot back. That's the problem with it, it's a 100 point glass canon that dies as soon as it gets targeted.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #600
Kirra

Lulz. My BUK kept missing his chopper and killing infantry in the woods instead.

Tags
airland, alb, battle, dragon, escalation, european, game, nato whine, red, ronaldreagansatan, t80u op, wargame